Radio Installation | FerrariChat

Radio Installation

Discussion in '308/328' started by djh2627, Jun 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. djh2627

djh2627 Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2008
    Weston, FL.
    Full Name:
    David
    Im looking to put a new radio in my 1987 328. The one I have isnt working.

My question is. Would it be alright to have a radio installed at a Best Buy or Circuit City? Or do I need to bring it to a specialty audio store?

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I would talk personally to the installer. If they are experienced and seem to know what they are doing I wouldn't worry about it.
    Dave

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Note the mileage before you drop it off :D

Jedi

4. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I pm'd you about your non-working head unit. As for the installer, I agree that you really should talk to the guy that is going to do it to let him know your concerns - even hang around while he does the job if you can.

5. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I personally would try to do it myself before I would trust Best Buy. I installed a new head unit and speakers in my '85 308, and it was surprisingly easy. If you just take a little time and follow the tons of info that is posted on other threads, you will have no problems. I ended up running all new wiring while I was at it since it turned out to be so easy.

If doing it yourself is not an option, I would only trust it to someone who is accustomed to working on higher end cars. I am not very trusting when it comes to working on a Ferrari. I have heard (and seen) some real butcher jobs.

6. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I Fancy myself as a do it yourself-er, but I took our Mondial to tweeter for the Radio install. In our case the previous owner had a fancy 90's stereo with an amp under the seat, equaliser etc. I figured I was better off with someone who knew something about audio equipment. I had them junk the amp/etc. and install something along the lines of OEM (door speakers plus dash tweeters). Sometimes it is worth paying for experience, especially when the labor was less that $100.00.

P.S. The guys did admit that they were tempted to take it for a drive, but at the time the yellow 1-4 light was on and they were reluctant to risk it.
    Dave

7. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Stop the bus... The eh, generally speaking "big box" guys are not the best. Don't get me wrong some of the best get their start there. They'll hire anyone that knows what butt connectors are. Most of them work there just so they can get "hooked up" on crap for thier bumping systems in the rice rockets. (This is just a generalization of course). I used to be in the biz back in the day. Competitions, trophies, install, judging. Then I found a fun niche rewiring frame up restores. I was doing this for side money while I was in college. Anyway, what I also spent many hours doing was repairs to botched jobs. Some guys will do the weirdest things!!! Who knew a hack saw and a hammer would be used for fine tune adjustments. Ummm... I've seen blow torches used to "soften" duct work to make room, screwed up factory wiring, melted carpet. Not to scare you but please seek out a referral from anouther chatter locally. Of any chain Car Toys seems to have a stronger reputation but I'm not sure what you have in FL. Even if you didn't know what you were doing in your dash, you'd prefer it was your hands in there trying to figure something out rather than someone else.

Sorry to blab, blab, blab...

Ciao'
    Brian

8. Cavallino Aficionado

Oct 3, 2006
    Lk. Tapps/Buckley WA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    +1

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Putting a head unit in one of these cars cannot be any easier. 1/2 hour to 1 hour tops for a head unit only. It takes longer to take the door panels off to get to the door speakers. Take your time and mark things as necessary to make yourself more comfortable. If you post pics of the wiring I could help you through the process. Good luck.

10. djh2627

djh2627 Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2008
    Weston, FL.
    Full Name:
    David
    You have to take the door panels off the car to put new speakers in the doors??

11. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Unless someone cut the carpet to expose the speakers and made it so that you don't have to the best way is to remove the panels. I guess you could loosen them and try and manipulate them but I wouldn't.

12. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys,
    I just changed out the original speakers in my '86 328. I took tons of pictures to show everyone step by step how to remove them, I'll be posting them shortly.