355 Ti wheel bolts | FerrariChat

355 Ti wheel bolts

Discussion in '348/355' started by andrewmr, Jun 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I hope I can post this.... If I can't would one fo the mods please delete it.

I was looking at the Ti wheel bolts for the 430 on eBay and that got me thinking. Would there be any interest in these for our cars? I wouldn't have the fancy box that those parts come in but I do have access to the material, the machines and the expertise to produce these....

So, are any of you interested in a set of Ti allen head wheel bolts for your 355? And at what price point would it need to be?

Daniel (Ricambi), would you have any interest in these?

Michael

2. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    what are the benefits? Weight savings must be trivial.... are they less likely to unscrew (that seems to have happened to a few of us)?

3. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I can't see any benefit other than weight savings. And as you said, that would be minimal. I wonder why the factory went that route....

My interest is purely from a visual standpoint.

I don't know why you woould experience a fastener wanting to unscrew. If the bolt is designed to be under tension (Stretch) at it's installed torque it should hold tight.

4. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The ti bolt/lugs weigh half what their steel brothers do. I could weigh a regular set and let you know what the savings is. If you reduce the wheel mass you increase accel/decell. I have the 18 challenge wheels and front girodisc rotors. Those changes made a big difference. I am interested in a set, but am not willing to pay more than a grand. New ones are 2K, and used sets can be found occass. for 1K. Scott

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    #5 fatbillybob, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can buy them right from the OE maker in italy direct no trouble http://www.poggipolini.it They are a fastener company and make very pretty fastners like those on the challenge car plastic window which are really hard to find. While really cool and a great way to knock off some unsprung weight, I question the intelligence of Ti wheel bolts. You got steel hubs, Ti bolts, Magnesium or aluminum wheel....I'm thinking corrosion, torque problems, yield points...I'm thinking too many owners just "set-it and forget it". I think the only reason Ferrari owners don't have their Ti bolted wheels fall off more is that they really don't drive the cars many miles. But...I'm no metalurgist or structures guy just a hillbilly. Here is the little jewel right here....enjoy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Another advantage could be looks----The stock chrome ones seem to chip rather easily if you are not real careful and then they rust quickly..

7. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for the link and info, Scott