What's it worth..? 2003 - 360 F1 Berlinetta | FerrariChat

What's it worth..? 2003 - 360 F1 Berlinetta

Discussion in '360/430' started by JBLove, Jun 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JBLove

JBLove Rookie

Apr 3, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    I am new to this and have been looking for a while. Give me your thoughts on this one:

2003 Coupe
    15k miles
    3 owners
    Challenge Grills - Front and Rear
    F1
    Red/Tan with black carpet and black sticking on hides (interior is a 7/8 out of 10)
    recent clutch
    all options but the Daytona seats
    No records - Carfax shows extensive maintenance at a Florida dealership throughout the life of the vehicle and I am trying to get those...
    Appears to have been some paint on the left front quarter by wheel but quarter panel has not been removed and no other indication of damage anywhere
    Tubi exhaust
    All books
    Tool kit
    1 key with fob (Grey)
    Will need tires and a major...
    in So Cal.

I would appreciate your thoughts on what you think this one is worth. This car presents well but is not perfect (dues to the minor paint, lack of records and full keys).

Thanks for your input!

JB

2. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Being a dealer, I will let others answer your question...But without the red fob?

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    No red fob..... look for another car.

4. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #4 bryanc4, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
    the red fob is important but a local dealer here can get you the entire set for $2200... so its not THAT critical like some people here claim.

PPI is critical.... have it inspected before buying... the interior is a 7 or 8 out of 10.... id expect a 9 out of 10 at the least.
    sounds like its NOT a meticulous car... .somebody managed to lose 1 red and 1 black... and no records????

assuming it will need 6k in work in the next year (major service and a few things here and there) im gonna say its worth $115 in this condition.
    personally id walk away.... youre buying a ferrari bro.... get yourself a super mint one.. it took me 2 months to find mine...

keep in mind you can get a cherry mint 2000-2002 for about $125.

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    It is not as simple as buying an entire set of for $2200 (a full set is about $700). If you don't have the pin they are useless and you will need to replace the alarm board and hope it will handshake with the other ECU after you switch them (left to right). And did they happen to mention that they take 14 plus weeks to get?

6. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    And that cost closer to $7,000

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    With fobs, alarm board, ecu and install it is close to 7K.

8. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    There are a number of great 360s available on the market today without a story. This one clearly has a story... but no one knows what it is, the worst kind. Three owners in 5 years... could be a lease car or worse, a problem car that people keep buying and dumping.

If you're really serious about this car, in addition to having a PPI done, you need to have a skilled body shop look at the car to determine the extent of the paint-work. A trained eye can read the paint and panels in ways you and I will never be able to.

I'd walk and wait until you find a perfect car... they're out there. Remember, there are no great deals on great Ferraris. You're going to pay for perfection and no stories... but it's worth it.

Frank

9. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    And this is still not enough time. Many others spend at least 3 times as long, some up to, and in excess of a year.

10. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    Dusky, You seem to harp on this fob thing (much like another member here harped on the Euro car thing) and both of you seem to do so because of a personal bad experience. I have spoken to dealers and owners who have spent from a low of $475 to a high of $1600 to replace the fobs when a customer had lost or bought a car without the red fob. RTGT said they can call FNA and they can get the PIN's on most cars from SpA. I am not dismissing your opinion, but I think it's a huge disservice to other members and prospective owners to make a missing red fob sound like the death knell for a car, just because you had a bad experience, or possibly a dealer who did not know what they were doing/decided to take you for some extra parts profit. I spoke to 2 dealers 2 weeks ago and both quoted 3 weeks to get them from Italy, so again, a bad experience for you does is not necessarily indicative of the correction time/cost for others.

11. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 SDChris, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
    This seems awfully low..I have talked to sevral dealers, FNA they all say the same thing that Bill has said! It not the key fob itself, it is the code for the key fob and not just anybody can get the code, trust me, I just went through this, I have made sevral great friends at FNA, I know the steps now, and it is not easy just to call Italy for the dealer even the franchise stores..For me and my cars I offer the red key will be there better for me to safe then not..and if the key is not with car, well thats for another post.. :)

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Matt,

This is not my battle, however, I never believe anything the dealer tells me! Second, more than just one person or Dusky has had this problem. I actually made this part of my purchase criteria, call me stupid, an*l, whatever, it just said more to me about the owners history with the car, along with other things obvisouly. You are also right that to some, those might not be criteria enough, plus the seller may have taken great care of the car despite losing the red fob. However, the man asked and he was warned.

Robert

13. JBLove

JBLove Rookie

Apr 3, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    I really appreciate the guidance here. I think I am going to walk on this one and keep looking...too many issues that don't quite add up. It seems like the Modena market is a bit soft right now, there is inventory out there and I am in no hurry.

JB

14. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Good man! Its a buyer's market right now.

15. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.

Well, obviously I am not the end all be all on the subject, but Kelly at RTGT told me 3 weeks and $895 (plus labor, which put the total right at $1050 if memory serves, I have it in writing, but would have to look it up) and Ferrari of Atlanta quoted $770 parts only (they did not quote labor). Chris at RTGT said they had replaced a number of them over the years so they seem to have at least some experience with the issue (making them more reliable than me!). I just think it's idiotic to put a car with a missing red fob into some category like a wrecked or 100K mile car, but it seems some people want to write off the whole car as a result. Look at it this way: A Ferrari owner won't flinch at spending $5-8K on a service, but would walk away from a car that needed $1k (RTGT estimate) to $2-3K (Bill's estimate) to correct an issue. Where is the logic there?

16. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    From just going though this, $5,000 to $7,000 due to ECU switch with labor...if the code is missing, the car will not start, even with a new red fob...

17. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    #17 duskybird, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
    Just trying to let prospective buyers know that it isn't always an easy fix. Besides why should you buy an incomplete car even if it only needed $500 in parts? As of two weeks ago they were on WORLDWIDE back order with a projected ship date of the first week of October. That was from Shelton (FL) The Collection (FL) Central Florida (FL) Atlanta (GA) Boardwalk (TX) and I think one or two others. The dealer will not guarantee that they can program a new red fob "the 360's are a pain in the a$$ it'***** or miss" Hit of miss means new alarm board and possible new right ecu. I'm sorry you feel that I'm harping on this. I won't bring it up again.

18. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris

Do not worry Bill! It is imporant information! And I will continue to bring it up and make a point about it! BTW did you get the package yesterday? :)

19. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Yep got it, thanks again! I'm taking a page from rifledriver and just keep mum on the subject. Caveat emptor comes to mind.

20. SDChris

SDChris Formula 3

Mar 8, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    :) I hear ya, as long as the "Caveat emptor" appleys to others.. :)