bought back my sl600... | FerrariChat

bought back my sl600...

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by RumorDude, Jun 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    #1 RumorDude, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Long ago, my wife and I flew down to California and decided we were gong to drive back instead of fly. So we bought this SL600 and drove back. After a couple years we decided to play a fun game of "pin the tail on the new car every few months" and so we sold it to a friend. Earlier this week he was going to trade it in for some BMW M6 thing so instead I decided to buy it back at a nice "can't say no bargain price". But, alas, not in the same condition I'd originally sold it.

In particular, there are a *lot* of scratches. And some are pretty deep, like the kind you get when you, say, might drive over a median or something. I dunno wtf he did but it looks like it went offroading more than once. Or maybe set a brick on the trunk and tried to hit it off with a bat or something. Even though I didnt take any pictures directly in over the scratches, I assure you they are there and they are pretty noticable in person.

This weekend I'm going to have it brought in for a thorough detailing, but I suspect that some of the abuse isn't going to be able to be undone (let alone the rims which looks like they have seen a fair share of... pirate attacks...) So the question is, for those problem which remain, where's the place to go to get it cleaned up, preferably somewhere on the eastside. The closest one I am familiar with is Queen City which seems to do great work, but I'm not sure if this type of job would really get them excited (I'll probably give them a call anyway) So I thought I'd ask you-all.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    First of all, I'd call MirrorWorks Detail -- you'd be amazed at some of the scratches they can get out with enough TLC. Have them assess whether they can get them out or not -- don't do a detail if it's going into a body shop -- wait until it comes out of the shop.

I have been very happy with the work that Precision Auto Body (not of Hensrude fame) have done on several of my vehicles over the years. They're in Newcastle at 425 277 0845. They're willing to give a discount off of their labor rate if you're paying out-of-pocket (as opposed to insurance).

3. Krafty

Krafty Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Lake Oswego Oregon
    Full Name:
    Alex Kraft
    is that a renntech badge on the back?

4. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    I second that for Mirrorworks. They did a bang up job on my cars.

5. atomic80

atomic80 Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Where it always rain
    Full Name:
    Jason T
    I also highly recommend Queen City as well. They do incredible work. Be sure to ask for Steve when you go on. It doesn't sound like even Mirrorworks would be able to fix some of those scratches you have and curb rash.

6. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Queen City is great for repairs.

For detail look at Island Detail: http://islanddetail.com/ They run about $400-$600 for a detail service...they do an amazing job. They have a free shuttle service which is nice too.

7. rushdriven

rushdriven Formula 3

Jul 1, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    John R. Eltringham
    #7 rushdriven, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    alright, thanks for all the suggestions. tomorrow it is goign for 'round 1' to see where i am really at. :) mybe it's not as bad as it looks ? /dreaming

mhm. at the time, renntech called it 'stage 1' (of 3). this basically just helps it breath a bit better (about 50hp better -- to over 500 bhp) and helps the suspension a bit. lugging 2.5 tons of car around does result in a bit of sloshing about.

9. VR4

VR4 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    vancouver, wa
    Full Name:
    steve
    hrm...that car looks oddly similar (black SL500 with that exhaust and renntech badge) to 1 that tried to race me about a year ago

10. coverland

coverland Formula 3

Apr 22, 2007
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Colin
    Nice car! Nice choice! Love it.

+1 MirrorWorks does wonders.

11. Jim Frentress

Jim Frentress Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2007
    Laguna Niguel, CA United States
    Full Name:
    James Frentress
    I've used MirrorWorks and Queen City (for several cars) and I have been very happy with both companies.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Detailers can do some real magic, best to let them have a go first, then have the body man do the really bad stuff.