How to Get rid of metric rims on a mondial? | FerrariChat

How to Get rid of metric rims on a mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by michael marzullo, Jun 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael marzullo

May 15, 2008
    chicago
    Full Name:
    mike marzullo
    What do I need to do to put regular rims on a 1983 mondial with TRX tires and metric rims? I also want to have a Ferrari emblem on the rims if I replace them. I do not mind after market..Mike

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    First step is to do a search in the 308/mondial section & read some

SUmmary : buy Eurospares - unbolt old wheels remove badges insert badges bolt on new wheels (having by preference also bought & fitted new tires !)

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He's NEW! LOL!

But that's the correct answer, save your lug bolts as they are expensive!!!

4. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    The answer is easy, you just swap out the tires and wheels you have......

You go to E-Bay or Rutland’s and buy either 14 or 16 inch wheels, then log into the Tire Rack, order your favorite brand and sell off the old ones on E-Bay. You can re-use the lugs and wheel centers.

I am in a similar situation, my rear wheels are 16 X 7 inch instead of 16 x 8's and I am looking for 2 rear wheels. Rifeldriver has mentioned that there are a few good wheel shops that sell used Ferrari wheels that are either very good or re-conditioned out there. But at $500 or so each, I am concentrating on other problems

5. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
  6. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    OPTION 2

Find someone who has his car for sale and make him a deal to swap tires and wheels.

7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    I replaced the ones on my 308 with 3-pce Compomotives. Ask the q on the 308 forum and you will find an avalange of possibilities. I sold the metric rims, they make good boat anchors.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#9 dm_n_stuff, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yes, but it was funny. :)

Always keep any original stuff. Trust me I know. Still trying to track the history of my car.

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    All best answers as posted below.
    1. Swap for 16" Mondial 3.2/t wheels; use same wheel bolts
    2. Swap for 17" 348 wheels; will need 348 bolts
    3. Superformance 16" wheels; use same bolts

355/360 wheels will also fit but require spacers available from Hill Engineering
    There are some aftermarket wheels that fit fit the Mondial, just ensure that the large offsets are correct. Speedline, the oem manufaturer for Ferrari wheels with access to the original Ferrari engineering data, recommends 17" x 7.5"F. 17" x 8.5"R. Remember you get what you pay for.

Just to jump the gun a bit, a 205 to 225 section tire works best on the front and a 225 to 255 section on the rear, depending on intended use. As far as aspect ratio, choose the one that matches desired ride quality/response.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  13. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
  14. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    #16 davem, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  15. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    1986 Mondial Wheels were still metric. The style of the wheel looked like later non metic wheels, but were still fitted with metric TRX. The front tires were just a little more narrow. (240, IIRC)

16. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    350HPMondial
    Snj5
    Davem,
    sjmst
    In ref. to Item number: 200231833808
    Ebay wheel listing. I went to it, copied picture to desktop and blew it up and it was a fairly good resolution and wheel clearly has Decal saying 8x17. It's gone now but maybe will be back I hope.
    He could have stated the year they came from it would have been less confusing
    Have you guys lost your minds? Ignore your own advice and then call ‘em a liar? nice

In reference to fooling the public I would try to sell a TRX wheel as a 16 inch wheel if it was at 390mm the TRX size on my 82 Mondial (almost 16 inch isn’t it) not a 17 inch wheel. It looks like a nice style change from the earlier Mondial TRX wheel though. I like the pentagram shape and the update w/o the curly shape at the lug nuts but going to the Cookie cutter wheels of the 348 clearly is a mismatch in the design. Anachronistic I say.

Between you guys….. a challenge. Please upload a series of wheel shots clearly showing the wheel styles and sizes from 82-89+ thru the 348 series to show the comparison. Then a cogent discussion on the interchangebility. I’d like to know my options also since I would like to dump the TRX old technology. The reference to the UK company which has an upscale wheel at 16" in the older pentagram style for a resonable price looks pretty good. Since 16's did not come on the early Mondials did this design exist on other 308's and which ones? Did 16's come on the later 328 Mondials before the design change that was on the Mondial T's
    Mondialross82

17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#19 dm_n_stuff, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Listing is still there.

And you must have some kind of super software because I can't get any image from that listing to show any decal with size. Photoshopped enlargement below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    As Sam points out earlier i believe these wheels on Ebay are from an 86 Mondial. Thats the same style wheel all Mondials shared starting in 86. Though the first year til sometime in 87 had the TRX tires.

348 wheels also look good on Mondials.

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner

There are so many threads on this very topic with so many photos - would suggest a search function.
    Summary (Check 'Original Ferrari V-8' by Keith Bluemel):
    All Mondials have about the same offsets and bolt spacings, and all Mondial wheels cross-fit.
    The series started off with metric rims through with the same style through the three liter cars (a similar style wheel, but in 16" is available through Superformance). With the 3.2, the style changed to the 'convex style', but were still metric sized. With later 3.2 and t cars, the convex style was kept but the wheel changed to 16".

I am not a liar, lost my mind nor am I mistaken - you are mistaken, if a bit rude in the bargain. Those even without magification are clearly identifiable as early 3.2 metric wheels with TRX tires, and hence are of low market value.

best
    rt

20. Mondialross 82

Mondialross 82 Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Ross G.
    #22 Mondialross 82, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    Rt,(and others)
    I'll stand corrected and even accept the rudeness comment, I'm regularly reminded. However, I did not call you a liar! as was intimated by others about the seller. In downloading several photos of current Ebay auctions I mistakenly grabbed the wrong photo to blow up (not some super software only the super soft in the head ware on my part). It was from one of these auctions.
    #270094806230 at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Ferrari-Mondial-8-x-16-OEM-Rear-Wheel-126949-Rim-16_W0QQitemZ270094806230QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116

and #270094806206 at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Ferrari-Mondial-7-x-16-OEM-Front-Wheel-126971-Rim-16_W0QQitemZ270094806206QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3756.m20.l1116

However, Auction #200231833808 had ended and had only the one photo of the wheels and very little tread exposed to discern. Thus the comment about it being "gone" and wondering how could anyone be so sure they were TRX absent additional information. Today I come to realise that the add has been relisted #200233483302, additional photo of the tread on edge added(that's helpful to be sure but previous references weren't to that auction). I had contacted the seller and confirmed that the wheels are from an '86 Mondial 3.2 cabriolet. Today I note in rereading the listing that he as also corrected the size issue 220/55/VR 390 and rear - 240/55/VR 390(previously mistaken but a liar maybe not?) Rudeness in pointing out calling people liars without any support, a beef I can and clearly will ride ......Yahoo!. Clearly these are TRX then.

Thanks for the suggestion for the thread search on wheels .

Your chronology on wheels is helpful, however, after the "convex" size changed to 16" in the later 3.2 and "t" models . davem, indicates there was never a 17" in the Mondial range and that occurred only next in the 348? In the change to 16" were they also changed in the stagger 7"/8" -F/R or was that also the case in the earlier TRX wheels as mine seem to be of the same width (but not verified) ? Or when did the stagger come into play?
    Sorry if you took collective salutation to include yourself where it does not apply, a risk in collective responses, I suppose.

Monialross82

Low market value = Boat anchors. indeed!

21. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #23 snj5, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    Clear communication on a chatboard is dodgy at best - no worries. We are usually all on the same side - here is a bit more which others may add to:

The move to 16" Speedline OEM manufactured convex wheels in the late 3.2 and t did also include a width stagger, the front being 7" and the rear being 8". Seventeen inch wheels did not appear until the 348, and were never fitted from the factory to Mondials. That said, in the European market, OEM manufacturer Speedline did offer a 17" three-piece wheel using the original factory engineering data, offered through Ferrari dealers as a dealer option, at least in Germany while I was stationed there. Speedline recommended that for all Mondial applications, the best wheel was 17 x 7.5 F and 17 x 8.5 R with the stock hp and tires available at that time (late 80s - mid 90s). Even in the fantastic Lehbrink/Schlegelmilch tome "Ferrari", the example Mondial t cab pictured from the Frankfurt, Germany, Ferrari dealer (same dealer that maintained my car, 1996 - 1999) wears a beautiful set of these 17" Speedline wheels.

The history of the metric wheels I am less clear on, but the initial tire fittings to the first Mondial 8 cars were the 240 section TRX at all 4 corners. Due to complaints of steering heaviness, sometime in the late M8s or with the three liter QV the tires became stagered with 220 sections in the front to reduce steering effort so I imagine the front wheels narrowed as well.

The popular 17" 348 cross fit to the Mondial without modification except they require the 348 bolts. Interestingly, factory photos of the 348 prototype show the car with the Mondial 3.2/t 16" convex wheels.

For a wide variety of Mondial wheel fitment photos, scan through the 'Show Us your Mondials' thread in the Showroom section.

22. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    About three years ago I changed the old TRX on my mondi QV to a set of 16" from a T. Ebay including a good set of Uniroyals (still on the car now) was £550 and I sold the old TRX rims with two good tyres for £300 a month or so later. The resultant change in handling and driver appeal was incredible. 7J X 16 on the front and 8J X 16 on the back. FWIW anyone on old TRX needs to change 'em!

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #25 snj5, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
    I would also extend Jeff's remarks to the OE Goodyear Gatorbacks on the late 3.2 and t; the improvement on handling, ride, noise, steering effort and response is simply amazing once you get rid of the OE tires and put on a newer technology tire - almost any will do; they do not have to be expensive. I changed to 16" Pirelli P-6000 on the stock 16" rims in 1996 before I went to 17" wheels, and the whole car just came together as a wonderful balanced, smooth riding, quiet and responsive whole.

The number one thing I personally believe every Mondial owner should do is upgrade the tires, followed by a pre-emptive replacement of the fusebox now that upgraded replacements are available. Number three would be a better muffler system. But, far and away the firt thing is upgrade the tires from TRX or Gators - either 16" or 17", the difference is stunning.