328 Air Injection T-union | FerrariChat

328 Air Injection T-union

Discussion in '308/328' started by Futureman, Jun 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #1 Futureman, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone know of a cross reference for number 8 in the diagram below? I'm not paying Ferrari $278 for it. I could have one made for cheaper than that. Replacing the check valves yesterday, the T union just fell apart as I took the hoses off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Richard,

I just went through this problem on a 328 service. Here's the solution.

On the 328, Ferrari uses two of these "T"s. One is on the aux. air valve circuit, the other on the AIR circuit, as you experienced. Both of these "T"'s are identical and made of steel. Remove the one from the aux. air circuit and use it in the AIR system, as I'd prefer to see a steel one in this area, considering the potential temperatures.

Go to you local parts store and order a Gates 28635. This is a very high quality 19mm polycarbonate "T" fitting. It will set you back less than $10. Use this part to replace the steel "T" you borrowed from the aux. air circuit. Done!

Donations for saving you $268 are always appreciated...

Regards,
    David

3. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    ....or if you could get one of our learned bretheren to fess up, we could all profit in the
    knowledge that this entire apparatus could be deposited in a landfill and thus rest easier.
    come on guys, tell us we can trash the system w/o hurting our engines.

4. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    The system on my 328 was missing when I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. Since there is no emission testing here in Florida, I have left it off. Have not noticed any problems with the idle, hot/cold starting, acceleration, ect, in fact the car runs great. When I had the major done 2 years ago the mechanic just said that it was missing and that it wouldn't cause any problems.

5. Spyker 007

Spyker 007 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    #5 Spyker 007, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008

Leave it out alltogether. Remove averything in the diagram.
    The car doesn´t need it. Mine doesn´t have it either.

A lot cheaper and it can´t go wrong. :D

6. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Excellent idea, David. Thanks a bunch. I know exactly where you're talking about. I picked up a poly T fitting as a temporary solution, and Carquest is ordering a metal fitting, but it's a little smaller on one of the ends. The forward check valve was corroded through and hot gas was getting past the valve into the line and the engine bay. I kept trying to track down where the burning smell was coming from after a long hard drive, but I couldn't see that burnt hose with the dist. cap and coils installed.

My friend who is helping me said it was probably useless any way and I said Luigi just put it there to mess with our heads. ;-)

Tonight, we install the dist. caps, rotors and plug wires. Replace some coolant lines and fill with coolant. Roll it out in the driveway with a fire extinguisher handy and turn the key....and pray. It's been a learning experience, for sure. I'm anxious to get it back running. If anything the new plugs, wires and rotors (which were all in bad shape) should make a noticeable difference in the running. Will I notice the valve adjustment? Maybe. A lot of the clearances were out of spec (12 total I think), so that may be enough to notice.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    $278 my a$$. I picked up a T at local hardware store for $1.95.

8. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
  9. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    It really makes you wonder...where these prices come from????

For those who are not familiar with this part, it is a "T" fitting with 3/4" (19mm) nipples 2" (or 3"?) long, by 1" deep...

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Where did that diagram come from? That has to be wrong. It shows the air injection coming from the air box. Where is the air pump? I see a breather from the airbox connected to a vacuum operated valve, to a T feeding one way valves into the exhaust. This will accomplish absolutely nothing without an air pump unles somehow the exhaust is designed to "suck" air into itself.

????

Birdman

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No airpump necessary, the engine vacuum does the work ... barely.

12. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Go to Home Depot in the plumbing section an They have a nice brass T that works perfect. The Extreme heat will melt pvc or nylon.

13. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    OK, this is blasphemous, but here goes:

http://www.licorvette.com/hose_clamps_and_straps.htm

#24-12 heater hose t- fitting

This is the "T" fitting for a 1964-7 327 Corvette, and retails for $10. You'll need to cut off the sealing "edge lip" on each end to fit the original SIAIG braided hoses and paint it black, but it will work (I used one as a temporary fix). Certainly the polycarbonate idea sounds promising (water collects here and any metal version will eventually rust). Consider replacing the AIR check valves while you are in the area.

Best,

Carl

14. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #14 Futureman, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the $278 T-fitting. Not much too it.

David I took your advice and pulled this one out from under the expansion tank and put it in between the exhaust header check valves.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Cool trick, eh?
    Glad you've got her back on the straight and narrow!

Both myself and the owner of the 328, that I had just completed the major service on, were in awe on the pricing of that "T" from Ferrari. I know, aftert years of servicing these cars, that parts can be pricey, but $278 was just too much to take...

Regards,
    David

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    What engine vacuum? Is there vacuum in the exhaust manifolds to suck in air?