F360 Alarm issues | FerrariChat

F360 Alarm issues

Discussion in '360/430' started by psorella, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    #1 psorella, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day F-cahtters.I have been a member for quite a while ,but I admit as to being a little timid in jumping in the various discussions on this site.I have finally decided to take the plunge as I seem to have an erratic problem with the alarm in my car.Firstly I am the proud and privileged owner of a 2004 F-360 coupe.I had brought my car in to a body shop to have my fenders rolled and when I got the car back ,I realized the main power switch had been turned off.I knew this because I had to re-enter the pin code on the radio.I also noticed that when I unlocked the car,I did not get the "chirp" sound.Eventually the "chirp" came back.That week-end I went on a road rally and we stopped off to get some coffee and when I locked my car using the key fob,the alarm went off but in sporatic timing.It was not not a continuous alarm sound.The car was parked kind of inclined to the side so I thought maybe it was some kind of motion sensor that was tripping.But then a few days later my wife calls me at the office telling me that the car alarm went off.My car was parked in the garage with the dorrs locked so the alrm was engaged.I had her try to deactivate the siren by unlocking the car with the keyfob and it seemed to have worked.When I came home later that afternoon,I heard the alarm chirping in a non-consistent pattern.The only way I was able to avoid this siren going off was to either keep the car unlocked or lock the car using the key.I'm not sure what to make of this and after all this writing I hope I haven't bamboozled anyone cause I am...Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW here are some pics of my mistress...;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Very nice, clean example of a 360! Congrats!

Not entirely sure about your problem, but my first thought is the alarm siren. The internal batteries tend to have a certain life span and yours is now 4 years old. I only think this might be your cause due to the "sporadic sound" when it was going off. I know on my 360 when my alarm unit's batteries were dead I got NO sound. My thinking is that yours is on its last leg so you are perhaps getting partial sounds?
    Just a thought.

Stick around a post. "Most" of the folks won't bite. :)

3. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    ...and, BTW, if its the alarm, Daniel has then for a little over $300. Do yourself a favor and simply check with him first. I looked high and low and went through a bunch of silly hoops only to find out he was the best/cheapest source (and, no, I'm not affiliated).

4. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Well actually I had that problem with the batteries when I first got the car over a year ago and I found a thread here
    that explained how to go about fixing the siren.So during the winter months,I opened the siren,removed the batteries and modified it by passing a wire to the outside and hooking it up to rechargeable battery.It worked great and only cost me about $20.00 and some peace and quiet in the garage at night :).Maybe my welds are letting go...I'll wait till the end of the driving season before opening it up again.Thanks for the tip from Ricambi.I guess I'll order a new siren if I can't get this one to work properly.

5. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Is that your car in your profile?I noticed you have a challenge grill.I think it looks awsome...Been toying with the idea for quite some time,does your engine bay get dusty after a spirited run?Beautiful car by the way...They're all gorgeous machines!

6. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Yeah, I went down this same course; we likely looked at the same threads (I think I may have added to one somewhere???). But I just bought a brand new one. Since it was brand spanking new, I opted not to slice it open, but fully plan to do so at some point when I think the batteries are going to croak.

Weird though..... so you have a new siren and still having these issues? You might be on to something; perhaps your solder joints have failed? That would explain it. Depending how good you feel about your solder job though its hard to say. I'm not expert electrician, but I would have had it soldered "pretty damn well" before I stuck the whole thing back together since it was a slight hassle taking it apart.
    I suppose you could always perform the old "turn the battery switch off for a while" to reset everything (forgot if you original post said you already did this; if so, never mind ;) ).

7. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Yep, that's me!
    I was lucky and my car had been spec'd with the factory grill (both front and back). If the 360 I ended up with did NOT already have one, I fully expected to pick one up since they help so much with venting off the heat from the exhaust.
    But, alas, my bay does tend to get a little dusty. I suspect that they all do though and don't think this is really attributed so much to the grill (could be wrong though).

8. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    check that, I re-read your post and you used your existing siren but wired in the leads with external battery; gotcha!
    I'd still investigate the siren.

9. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    If I were to shut off the power switch,how long do I leave it off?When I turn it back on,do I need the master remote?

10. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    I think some say a few minutes, but I'd just give it a good rest as it were... leave it off for a half hour. Nothing going to harm it.

You will not need your red remote, but from what I've read you WILL need the code for your stereo (assuming the factory Becker unit).
    I have an after-market Alpine so I have not needed to hassle with my code and I HAVE turned my switch off before and not needed anything special at all.

11. NPWMD

NPWMD Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    NY,FLA
    Full Name:
    Neal P Wittels, MD
    If the alarm red LED is not on continuously then the siren is probably OK. I would trip your battery switch for 5-10 minutes, leave it off. Then switch it on and see what happens. Try to alarm the car and disarm it.
    Let us know.

12. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    I'll give it try this week-end and keep you guys posted.

13. psorella

psorella Formula 3

Oct 22, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Yeah well after a long weekend, it seems the red light stays on all the time and the alarm does not chirp anymore,so it is safe to say I have a problem with the siren.So be it,I'll fix it this winter.Thank you everyone fro your help.