Need downtown Richmond restaurant recommendation. | FerrariChat

Need downtown Richmond restaurant recommendation.

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by marcmc8867, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marcmc8867

marcmc8867 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.
    #1 marcmc8867, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
    Hello all, 360 Spider F1 owner here from NC...

I'll be taking the Fcar up to Richmond with the g/f tomorrow (Fri) night for one night, staying at The Jefferson, headed to Williamsburg for a 4 day conference thereafter...

I used to go to Morton's downtown a lot and I've been to Bookbinders. I thought we'd keep it simple and eat at TJ's at the hotel. Kinda in the mood for a nice place steak/seafood but more masculine wood and leather kinda feel, no foo-foo French places :)

Is TJ's a good choice or would I be missing out on something much better nearby for non-ethnic food?

I've long heard about the Tobacco Company. Is that a good choice?

Thanks in advance!
    Marc

2. 1f1fan

1f1fan Rookie

Jun 13, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Marc

I have not been to TJ's The Jefferson so I don't know how it would compare, but Tobacco Company is a good choice for dining in downtown Richmond.

Actually I was going to suggest Morton's or Tobacco Company for steak/seafood.

There is also Chinese, Italian (La Grotta) etc. all in the same area by Tobacco Company if you change your mind.

3. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #3 fou, Jun 19, 2008
    I was going to suggest something till I saw your no "foo-foo French places" remark. I owned one of the best French places in Richmond until I sold it a few years ago. But I will not hold that against you. Forget Tobacco Company, it is an over priced tourist trap that really misses the mark. It might have been the hot spot ....some twenty years ago. If you really want great steak with an incredible wine selection, google Buckheads on Patterson Ave. It is about 8-10 miles west of downtown, but easy to get to. Plenty of safe, dent free parking for the F-car. It is in a strip mall, but once you get in, it is like being in the hunting manor. Somewhat of an insider's joint that can be pricey if you make it that way, but does not need to be.

Edit: http://www.buckheads.com/

4. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.

Nothing against the foo-foo (or is it fou-fou) French places...I like those too but I'm in the mood for something else on this occasion.

Thanks for the suggestion about Buckheads!

5. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    I was kidding :) My place wasn't foo-foo anyway. Lemaire in the Jefferson is probable the foo foo joint you were thinking of. Have escargot and pomme frittes delivered to your room in the morning to satisfy that French craving.

6. F430xxx

F430xxx Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2004
    best place with amazing ambience is Havana 59 in Shocko Bottom.

One of my favorite restaurants ever

7. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #7 fou, Jun 19, 2008
    59 is not a bad choice, however, they were flooded out in 2004 by Gaston and recently opened under new ownership. After being shut down for 3 years, I do not know if it is the same hopping place it used to be. One of my friends used to own it, but I have not been there since the new person bought it. Need to be real careful about parking a nice car in the bottom. I am sure that The Jefferson has a free van to run you down there though.

There are tons of other places on Main Street like Six Burner, also owned by a friend, but if you are really craving an old school steak joint, see above. La Grotta mentioned above is also good if you are into Italian. Kobe steak and sushi is across the street from La Grotta and has amazing beef.

8. 1f1fan

1f1fan Rookie

Jun 13, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    If you are looking to go outside of the downtown area I second the Buckheads recommendation.

Not too far from Buckheads is a fantastic Italian place called Angela's Ristorante & Pizzeria. The place gets busy and the service can be hit or miss, but the food is always great. I recommend the seafood New Orleans.

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Not sure I'd call Lamaire fou-fou. Very nice dining - yet I've never been there for dinner. I have done the Sunday brunch at the Jefferson which is too much and mostly unnecessary. It is a safe place for the car.

La Grotta is very nice, but not sure where you'd park the red car. Take the limo?
    http://www.lagrottaristorante.com/

Bookbinders is very nice also. Don't know about parking. But you've been there.

Flemming at Stoney Point is in a new mall not far away, plus a big parking lot that's not too busy for parking.
    http://www.shopstonypoint.com/IM/storedetail.html?store=Z131

A number of f-car owners here meet at Osaka's on River Road for an early evening drink. It's nice. Parking is fine and around dinner time it opens up as most shoppers take off.
    http://www.osakasushiva.com/locations-rr.html

Not too many places where parking isn't a worry. Richmond is full of really nice, non-chain restaurants but parking would be a problem.

Skip the Tobacco Co. Over rated.

10. Cwavery9209

Cwavery9209 Karting

Oct 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    Charles
    BUCKHEADS!!! Great place. Love the food and the atmosphere. I have actually seen a few f cars there

11. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    the Jefferson is a great hotel to bring your gf to. I suggest beyond the usual Morton's try the Frog and the Redneck good food and menu.

12. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #12 fou, Jun 19, 2008
    Second the Jefferson, I spent my wedding night there before leaving abroad. The Jefferson was the only good thing about that entire marriage. :)

13. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Man that place closed 5 years ago!!

14. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    wow I don't get to richmond much ! on second thought try Morton's then back to the Jefferson bar.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Morton's would be tight for parking. No space out front to park it. Maybe something around the corner.

16. marcmc8867

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    Full Name:
    Marc M.

In the past, the guys at Morton's always let me park on the pavement right in front of the place and that was in an '06 M5. I assume the privilege would remain with the 360 Spider :)

17. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Marc,

I will be in Washington NC 7-3 thru 7-9 and will probably be bringing the 360 if you wanna hook up, pm me.

Robert