Odd Oil Change Issue | FerrariChat

Odd Oil Change Issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by hkbrandt, Jun 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hkbrandt

hkbrandt Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Guys,
    Just had my oil changed in my 355. Mobil 0w40. new filter, etc. Work is being done by quality shop I have used for my Porsche for years. They also do Ferrari.

What has happened is although everything is put back as it was, with the exception of new oil and filter, I am no longer getting an oil pressure reading to the gauge. The temp is showing normal but obviously I am a bit uneasy not seeing the pressure reading. The gauge was fine before the change.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The oil pressure sender is just aft of the oil filter. They might have gimped an already weak wire on it while changing the filter. So just take a look at the sender and make sure it has two wires going to it.

3. hkbrandt

hkbrandt Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    two wires. grounded out the connections. red light is working but the needle refuses to move.

4. hkbrandt

hkbrandt Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    also on start up red light comes on and goes off so I assume there is actually pressure just the needle is not reading. Just an uncomfortable feeling not seeing that needle register.

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    On which end of the scale is the needle on the gauge? If it is all the way down then it has no power. All the way up ......... the sender is probably bad....... :(

6. hkbrandt

hkbrandt Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    all the way down.

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The red light sender I believe is a separate switch.

Sounds like an open circuit.

8. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    What brand oil filter did they replace your old one with ?

9. ulf308qv

ulf308qv Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Ulf M
    Try to ground the sender wire, the gauge shold show max. If it does, the sender is your problem. If not check the wire to the gauge with an ohm meter.

10. hkbrandt

hkbrandt Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Thanks everyone. The problem is pointing to the sender. The gauge is fine. We did get a new sender in but true for today it had a broken post so no go. We put a manual pressure gauge in place of the sender and the pressure is fine. I drove the car home without issue. The suspect sender puts the red light out so it too assumes there is pressure. The only issue is the needle hasn't come back. We were able to max the needle by grounding out this wire.

I should have a replacement sender by Tuesday. Easy to swap in. Hopefully his drama is over then.

Thank you all. You guys are great. Weird that the sender fails right after a routine oil change but I suppose it is as good a time as any to fail. I went from 15w40 to 0w40 so maybe this helped push the sender to the cliff.

11. hkbrandt

hkbrandt Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    Henderson, NV
    Hello,
    So the saga continues. Finally got a new sender unit installed. Same issue as the old sender unit. Red light goes off upon start so there is oil pressure but still no needle movement.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram so I can see how the cable routes? The gauge is not the issue, I don't think, since it can be shorted and the needle made to move. Maybe a resistor problem or feedback from the ECU is not happening.

Thanks

12. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I had this problem intermittently, but it cleared up when I cleaned all the grounding wires/straps.

Mike in Kuwait