New interior with low miles=warning bells? | FerrariChat

New interior with low miles=warning bells?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robb, Jun 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Seeing some lower mileage cars (10k miles and 20k miles) and higher for sale.

They indicate new upholstered leather seats and new carpets. Should a car with low mileage like this need new interiors? Does this hint that something is not quite right with the odometer reading?

Looking for some insight into expected wear on the interiors.

Saw a 328 yesterday on a business trip and decided to drop in. Had 35k miles. New paint, new leather seats. The switches and knobs between the seats looked like they just got back from Iraq.

Didn't feel reassured about the car based on these and other small pieces of upkeep looking at the car.

What can you tell me? If it has been beaten to death I apologize in advance. I have read most threads up to page 45. And I do search. But would like an up to date set of info.

Robb

2. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    A lot of this is how much you know the cars. Do more research, look at more cars,etc. If it doesn't feel right [or look right] it probably isn't...looks like your picking up on this already ;) If you can pick out a well maintained Porsche...you can do the same in the 308/328 market.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had the leather replaced on mine, and it's well under 30K miles. The switches and knobs are original and in like new condition. Thread here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167130

I would be wary if the general condition of the interior is rough, but after 20 years a lot of these interiors have been more or less ruined by the sun and re-dyeing. Also, the bolsters in these cars wear easily and badly -- many owners don't know how to get in and out of the car without dragging their a$$es across the outer bolster. I was looking at a 550 last year, with under 20K miles, and the bolster was already showing scuffs and surface cracks, so this isn't unique to the 308/328.