Brown County Indiana Run July 12 | FerrariChat

Brown County Indiana Run July 12

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by SMS, Jun 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Time for the annual run to south central Indiana. Invitation for all Ferraris and special intrest cars to join the fun on the best roads in Indiana.
    Usually several Corvettes, classic cars, exotics, etc...attend this each summer.

The little Mayberry-esque town of Freetown has an annual July Festival fundraising event. Proceeds go to community needs like a sidewalk and gas for the fire truck. We have no stop light and the gas station closes at noon on Saturday. This is a great place to go to get away from the stress of real life. There are no entry fees or anything to come to this, they just rely on vendor booth rental space and food sales as the revenue generators.

The drill for the cars is to arrive around noon. There will be a caravan down from Indy for a morning invigorating drive. Anyone who wants to drive in the parade assembles in the staging area, and rolls out at 1pm. It is 45 minutes long or so, you need a good radiator and clutch. A/C is nice too.

If not in the parade, we have a shady lawn setting to assemble in upon arrival where you can put up lawn chairs, talk cars, walk around the vendors, have lunch, etc... We were thinking of buying a big box of fried chicken for the gathering here. After the parade, we can all cool off in the shade here, then take a group drive, exploring some of the routes we have been scoping out this spring.

I drove 135 Saturday and the flood damaged sections are fixed already. We'll probably have the 64 MGB, 59 Vette, Ferrari 308 and Dad's new Z-06 all there.

Here is a link to the thread on MidwestSCC with a few pictures from last year.

http://www.midwestscc.com/viewtopic.php?p=15669#15669

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  3. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Are you guys heading up to Nashville after the parade? What is the afternoon/evening drive plans if any?

4. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    There will be something, TBD. As you know, the hills and curves around here are the main reason to arrive. That and good friends of course. Feel free to shoot me some morning or afternoon drive ideas. I can envison two groups, north and south, converging here at noon, then running together the second part of the day. I have good area route maps to be passed out the day of the drive, but can always edit until showtime.

5. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I dont' have any drive ideas - you know better than anyone. I am interested in checking out the weekend car show up in Nash if you're heading that way. - just let me know.

6. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Is the Nashville Cruise-In happening this same day?

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    No, the Nashville organizers scalled back this year to the first Saturday and third Sunday each month. Our gathering will be the area cruise-in on the 12th, and we'll set up a nice drive for those that come.

8. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I should be able to come.

9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Right now I'm 50/50. We tentatively have company scheduled to come into town, however, they are notorious for cancelling, so if they do I'll be there! I have a new suspension to put to the test. :)

JIM

10. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.

Be sure to bring ETC and the award winning Hudkins along with you. I'vr got some roads picked out just for your new suspension.

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Ok, some planning info for anyone interested in this event. Morning route and schedule is proposed, as ZUL8TR thinks more winding route time in the am is desireable, but I'm not sure how early we can get people up. The basic plan:

Assemble at Cars and Coffee at the Sunrise Cafe, N.E. side of Indy at 116th st and Cumberland road on Saturday July 12th for a 9:15am departure.

Pick up Indy southsiders at the Steak and Shake on Southport Road at I-65 exit.

Leave Southport Road at 10:00 am

Arrive at I-65 exit #68 which is Hwy 46 west at about 10:30 at the Marathon station where we grouped up for the Story lunch drive last fall. Gas up at Marathon, last chance for awhile.

Leave Marathon at 10:45 to Freetown via 46 and 135. Should put you in Freetown to let your brakes cool off at 11:30. I have a nice grass field with shade trees to park in and graded a limestone access road into it there last night.

Anyone who wants to sign up to cruise in the parade can do so until noon, then get lined up in the church parking lot. Parade rolls at 1 and lasts 45 minutes, so the afternoon drive can start about 2:30-3:00pm. Parade judging has some trophies to pass out, our car gathering in the field will have "People's Choice" type voting with a ballot box and I'll give out the Griot's stuff based on that voting.

Food is avail at the festival all day, from the festival burger, dog and fish grill and from various vendors set up. I was going to provide food for our group, but that would compete with their only revenue source, so I'm dropping that idea. Bring a few bucks to buy food.

Afternoon drive is 135 south to 58 west to 446 north thru the canyon across Lake Monroe, hit 45 in Bloomongton back to 135 at Beanblossom. From there you're on your own. That route, all great roads, from Marathon gas at 10:45 to Beanblosson is 85-90 miles, with a few hours of break time thrown in at Freetown.

Other festival events just FYI are some carnival and kiddie things and the obligitory horseshoes, a garden tractor pull, (souped up mowers), and live country music into the evening.

That's pretty much the drill. Hope to see you all there. Were taking 3 cars to the Gathering, maybe put the Vette in the parade, and drive the 308 on part of the morning run and in the afternoon.

Louisville guys arrive in Freetown at 11:30. I'm driving the Salem route posted above to check the roads and will post the miles and time for you all to plan your Louisville departure.

Thanks,
    Bill

post, pm or email any questions or suggestions.
    [email protected]

12. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    My dad and I might be in. Unsure on what car we would be in though if we do go.

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Hope you can make it Palmer, we need the official event photographer.

Do you guys still have 2 NSX's to choose from?

Gershwin, I drove the Salem route to Jeffersonville tonight. BOOOORING.
    You will get burned out behind retired people in Crown Vics long before you arrive, and there was about 5 minutes of fun driving in 1.5 hrs. I propose you just hustle on 65 up to the gas stop meeting place at exit #68 listed above. You can get there in less that an hour from the Ohio River and you will get the best of the roads right after that with the rest of the group.

14. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    bummer...always did that one in the AM on a weekend during the fall heading to Huber. Never had traffic problems. At least there're some turns, trees, old town square, etc. Agree the more fun stuff is once you get on 135 north of hwy 50.

15. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Haven't gotten that title before!!!:)

Only the black/black 91 NSX. Red one has been gone since the 500 weekend.

16. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    This is a big anniversary date for you if I recall. It was 2 years ago, enroute to this event you lost the drive shaft in the Lamborghini, which began the rebuild phase. How's the project going now by the way?

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    One more thing, anyone who likes semi-pro Country music is welcome to end up back in Freetown after the afternoon drive. Here's the groups that are playing Saturday night:

7pm Stephanie Lambring. Very talented singer and writer. Her Dad is on this forum and has an 85 Euro QV, hopefully at the drive.
    www.myspace.com/stephanielambring

7:30pm The Lewis Sisters
    www.myspace.com/thelewissisters

8pm Evie Nicole.
    www.myspace.com/evienicolemusic

8:30pm Christi Bauerlee and Band
    www.christibauerlee.com

18. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I'm not sure if ill make it or not...I may have a tensioner bearing issue...I'm going to pull the covers tonight and look.

Jim

19. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Jim is it making a lot of noise?

Hey Steve with the 911...are you going to head up this year with the Porsche Club?

20. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Yes it is. It gets louder at rest after a drive and it was louder/more noticeable on Sunday vs. Saturday. I have new belts/tensioners ordered and on the way...
    If I can get these changed by Saturday I may still make it.

JIM

21. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Jim does your car have timing belt covers on it? If so washing the car can cause these tensioners to go out. I put some light rtv on the timing cover to help keep water out when washing the car.

22. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    yes, does have the covers and I'm VERY, VERY careful to make sure to not introduce water into the engine bay. I'm quite sure that some was when they detailed the car after the accident last year, however, I've never had running water above the belt line of the car and it never sees rain...

JIM

23. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Where are the ones from Louisville going to meet tomorrow? Last year was at McDonalds At Exit 0 off of 65 in Jeffersonville IIRC. Does that work for everybody or does somebody have a better suggestion?

24. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    See you guys tomorrow. I'll be at exit 68 Marathon between 10-10:30. Taking 3 cars to the show, but just the Ferrari on the rallys.

25. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Have fun guys! I"m REALLY bummed that I can't make this. I'll be pulling cam covers, belt covers, etc... all weekend! Atleast I didn't lose a belt!

JIM