ID? My very old Ferrari.. | Page 13 | FerrariChat

ID? My very old Ferrari..

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 1oldf, Dec 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    George,

You probably have to accept that your car was 0124. How many of these early cars had an extra set of pickup truck (or perhaps it was JC Whitney) tail lights installed in the exact same place as your car had, as seen in the Elkart Lake photo in 1952. Not likely any other car than 0124....

The rest of the differences between your car (aside from the windshield) and 0124 as seen in other pics are the hood strap, the Ferrari side logos and the front turn signals. All of which could be installed on a Saturday afternoon armed with nothing more than an electric drill and could easily have been added to the car any time between 1952 and 1957. In particular the turn signals would likely have been added just to make the car legal since it was a street car at the time. Add to that the diffrences in hood and front fender shape, the placing of the nose badge, all of which are really hard things to change, and I don't think there is any question at this point that you had 0124 for a time. While some others, by process of elimination were convinced a while ago, I think this photo seals the deal.

The only other way you will ever know for sure is to climb under the cowl and open the trunk of 0124 and see if you can see any vestiges of the mods that were on the car when you had it.

Baring that, I think you can honestly say that you owned 0124 for a while in 1957 and enjoy the memories......

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Doncha love the crowd control in these old pix? A wonder that more were not killed.

3. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Uh, Ed? Weren't you in charge of that stuff?

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    No, I was just a lowly turn marshal. Crowd control was some other poor volunteer.

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #305 Miltonian, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm not suggesting that this is the same car, I just thought it was funny. This is from Autoweek, Nov 1, 1969.

You know, those "Amil Amiga" roadsters are pretty rare!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Just as rare as the 12 Volt rear ends and electric wenches that show up in the parts ads in the local paper!

7. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Wotcha talka bout? Ferrari he made plenty amil amigas an won a plenty time too.

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    whats the value of this car today?

9. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Absolutely great thread. Saw a lot of people I'd met over the years in the various pics. When I knew them, most of them had retired, but they were still impressive.

Art

10. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    #310 1oldf, Jun 20, 2008
    This car is #0118 that was sold to Ron Kellogg with the V8. The Kimberly car #0124 is my old Ferrari. No doubt...............Thank you all again for responding to this thread and giving me peace of mind as to my Question. FerrariChat is really a fine community and I feel pleased to have been a small part of it with this thread. Happy Motoring.....................These are my current toys......George
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr

great thread read with passion for find the id of your car.

never more with Ferrari?

12. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    #312 1oldf, Jun 21, 2008
  13. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    George,

When you first posted about the identity and history of your car, way back from the 50's, i said you were going to be in for a fantastic experience with the great people who comprise this great FChat Site! I think I was right, YES? A tremendous thread and postings of you car.

Your a Ford GT owner now. Twice! The Ford GT, would have never existed, without Ferrari's, Enzo's and the Le Mans race, and Henry Ford II's will, after the deal to buy Ferrari, fell through. The butting of heads of two of the world's most famous men in the history of the Automobile, and it's epic circumstances after all the smoke had cleared. There exists the Ferrari heritage with in the DNA, the Bloodlines, of the FORD GT!

It was a great ride and we did find the proof of that one picture, that it was 128. Am I correct?

Ciao...Paolo "The DUDE"

14. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    #0124 is the winner..................no doubt.

15. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I have been watching this since day one. Amazing how it all came together. There was a couple of months where it was quiet but then boom. Done!

Don't forget to update your staus now to "Previous cars owned": 0124 :D

16. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    George, Sorry about the error, 128, should have said 0124. Both numbers were also Fiat models, back in the 70's. Must have something in my memory about them. :)

Now, does 124 exist today? The next quest for you if it does, just like Indiana Jones movies.

Ciao...Paolo

17. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    The last info. I have on 0124A shows Rene Maspoli, Corseaux, CH. If anyone has an update to this, please post. Thanks again............George

18. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    What isthe date of this info?? thanks tongascrew

19. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    According to Bertdeboer, Rene Maspoli is the current owner...............

20. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Love the wheels and side graphics on your Blue GT !

21. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Just something a little different..............George

22. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum Rookie

Jun 29, 2008
    Bend, Oregon, USA
    Full Name:
    Terrill E. Buffum
    George,

0124A had a dry sump engine. Do you recall if your car was so equipped? I think that was unusual for 340, so if yours had one, I think that is absolute confirmation. The tank was huge, holding something like 14 quarts.

I knew of 0124A from about 1960. When I first encountered the car, it was in at Dorn's repair shop in Palo Alto with a broken ring gear. The mechanic charged with the repair (Chester King) subsequently came to work for Go Power, where I was employed. The car was given to Chet's brother-in-law (Joe Newton) when parts could not be found (and, likely, to hide the fact that "Ben" had purchased it from his educational trust fund while a student at Stanford). After Joe's death, Bob Gangemi bought the car from Mrs. Newton. I traded Bob a number of antique guns for it and 0169 circa 1970. Although Gangemi had started a restoration, the ring gear was still broken until I obtained a replacement from Dick Merritt.

The rather ugly windshield was on the car when I got it, and, apparently had been for some time as the paint under it was a darker color than the rest of the car, likely the result of oxidation of the majority of the paint. I don't recall big tail lights, but they certainly could have been there, and I would have had Griswold remove them!

Terry

23. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Just when you thought this thread couldnt get any better!

Welcome Terry and thanks for your input!

24. 1oldf

1oldf Karting

Dec 25, 2007
    Whittier, Calif.
    Full Name:
    George Engelage
    Thank you Terry, yes, 0124A had the dry sump with very large capacity. When I owned it, I also broke the ring gear and borrowed one from an owner doing a restoration in NewPort Beach until I had one shipped in from Italy. The windshield you refer to was Jag. XK120 that was on it when it came to me. With your reply I feel that we have filled in the blanks for this old Ferrari. 0124A FOR SURE.............George P.S. As an aside, the question remains as to how 0124A went from Hastings Harcourt in Santa Barbara to Mike Vernola in Italy and finally to me at the harbor in Long Beach, Calif. Some questions may never be answered???

25. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    #325 MJarrettR, Jul 1, 2008