Ferrari 512 S quiz! | FerrariChat

Ferrari 512 S quiz!

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by alebart3, Jun 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    #1 alebart3, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dear Sirs, I post a thread to know a lot of things about #1026 Sebring 1970 winner and I hope someone may help!
    But by a news from a very kind man (mamo models) I found this Sebring photo:
    Anyone know something about the little air intake in the door on the left side?Was really here in the race?
    May be to cool Dinoplex?
    Thanks,
    Alessandro
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    The book "12 Hours of Sebring 1970" has a lot of photos of this car and the scoop (or whatever) is not visible in any.

3. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    To BIGHORN
    "The book "12 Hours of Sebring 1970" has a lot of photos of this car and the scoop (or whatever) is not visible in any."

The book is not the new one is 1995 "Sebring 12 - Hour Race 1970" book.Seems (I have not the book)that there is a photo on page 30.
    I was not able to understand what kind of thing is but it don't looks like an artifact...?
    Alex

4. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    The 12 hours book I referred to was published in 2005, Harry Hurst author, Publisher Hurst Communications phone 610-725-9600, if interested..it's mainly photos and interviews with participants. Good book, especially enlightening are comments by NART fabricator and Ferrrari expert Wayne Sparling.

Re the clearer photo, the artifact looks more like a marker light except on the wrong side if I remenber the Sebring timing pit location right.

5. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    To BIGHORN,
    it is a mistery!Nigth ligth was on the rigth side....there is another little air intake under the square racing number on the rigth to cool fuel pumps..was a hot day and the Dinoplex was still on the car ground, then it was located on the left tank,under the left door..but the other cars?
    However it is impossible to make a nice 1:12 model before to solve the question!
    The new book has photo of the day of the racing?
    Many photos usually are from the pratice and taken from the rigth, some from the front and it is impossible to compare....
    Thanks

6. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    ID Light should be on right side as that would be seen from timing/scoring. Pg 53 and 55 of the book I referenced have color pics of the right side at a distance but it is hard to see details. You might try to contact the author (it appeare to be self published) to see if he has any more photos..he was the track photographer that year.

7. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    #8 alebart3, Jun 27, 2008
    Dear BIGHORN, tanks for your support!I'm posting a new foto with the mistery object!
    Is a little more clear and seems that there is something inside, furthermore the "obj" is not on the left door but between the door and the front body (under there is a metal frame and no way for anithing)....there is no evidence of a cable (may be something leaved there from a mechanic)or a connection to the body.
    The "obj"is full round and not an intake as usual.I tink that is not a light (too big and in the wrong direction-looking to the front of the car) and if you see the other photo, the reflecting number are on the right side of the car......something before I call the centre for U.F.O objects?
    Regards,
    Alessandro

8. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    you are right..I have no idea what it could be

9. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Could it be a camera?

(I know, it is small, but an 8mm may be...)

10. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    I don't know..the Ferrari doesn't like films!However thanks..the mistery is still here!
    Alessandro

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #12 Simon, Jul 16, 2008
  12. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    nice photo's, they are setting up in the dirt, under the rain..... last epic racing things
    thanks
    Alessandro

13. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Could it be a role of tape? Maybe they were taping the door shut? Just a wild guess.

14. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    Peter ,that could be !
    especially if we look on Alessandro's second pic ,it seems a role of tape.

regards
    ivo

15. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    Dear ivo&bigodino is a nice idea the role of tape, but it isn't too little the hole inside if is it this?
    There are many pieces of brown tape on the car, over front ligths, STP labels, but it is possible that there is not a photo of the right side of the car racing?
    Thank for help,
    Alessandro

ps any of you never see the bottom of the 512 S engine?

16. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Alebart:
    The object that you are refering to is a vent that was added to the car due to the heat at Sebring. It was done by using a round flex duct. This vent is supported by a small aluminum duct cover. It is right at the front edge of the door, not the triangular support structure in front of the door. The best pic is the one that you mentioned on page 30 of Sebring 12-Hour Race 1970 edited by Robert Auten.

17. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I just saw one yesterday, took every detail except the bottom of the car. Will get it next time!

18. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh yea, where are the chassis stamps on these badboys?

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    If you stand behind the car it's on one of the small chassis pipes on the right (next to the engine). If the hood is up you can't miss it.

20. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    #21 alebart3, Jul 22, 2008
  21. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    #22 alebart3, Jul 22, 2008
  22. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  23. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008
    Tanks Ney, yes I see them but need more!
    The Guerzoni 3d car is beautifull, but he also was without pics for the bottom of the engine,there was many mistakes in the lower side parts, fuel pumps ecc.
    Alex

24. fazzaz 512

fazzaz 512 Rookie

Feb 16, 2004
    Spain and Germany
    Full Name:
    Manfred Lampe
    #25 fazzaz 512, Jul 23, 2008
    Hi Alessandro,
    The 'two strange areas of flat(?) on the sump' as you called it are not on the sump. These are pieces of thin aluminum glued and rivetted to tubes on the rear lower part of the chassis.
    At Daytona (the first race for the 512) the cars did not have the extra tube (B) identified with an arrow.
    On some cars this additional tube to improve the torsional stiffness was added already at Daytona.
    By the time of Sebring all factory cars had this tube (B) attached.
    The Aluminium sheet which was trying to add even more strength connected tubes A and B. I have not seen this on any 'S' models. But then period photos of the bottoms of the cars are quite rare. To my knowledge these were first used on the 'M' either as a plain sheet, or with several large flanged holes.
    Sorry, the image is a bit small but hopefully will explain the point.