Looking to buy a (non-Red) 328... | FerrariChat

Looking to buy a (non-Red) 328...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robb, Jun 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Hi guys and gals,

I have been enjoying the answers to my recent posts. I have been reading everything under the sun on the forum.

I have seen several 328's now and know that the car is the right model for me.
    I am looking for a no-stories car in great mechanical and aesthetic condition. My preference for colors is:

Blue Sera
    Blue Medio
    Blue Chiaro
    Nero Metallic
    Argento

I am very flexible on the interior colors.

GTS or GTB. Either would be great. I am not trying to find a super low mileage car or one to put in a concourse, more important about it's condition and maintenance history.

I would be fine with a Euro car with the records.

Let me know if you are upgrading and looking to sell yours, if another F-chatter is on the fence about selling theirs that I can PM, or if you have seen one at a reputable dealer you know of.

I'll be happy to pay back a nice favor to someone who can suggest the right car that I purchase.

Thanks for your suggestions or interest.

Robb Williamson
    [email protected]
    303-883-8359

2. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Robb, if you find any in your color I would suggest w.respect to Euros you don't summarily reject them in the absence of papers. Mine did not have them nor did the PO know anything about them which was concerning of course. But a few calls to DOT and EPA and I had the conforming papers.

Check http://www.vast.com . It searches out a wide range of listings (ebay, overseas [which I'm sure are out of your search area], exotics dealers, etc) but may be a good net to cast. You can sort by date so you don't go spinning your wheels too much.

3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    David,

I'd be fine with a euro 328 based on the lighter weight and extra 10 hp.

I definitely wouldn't reject a euro car. I am expecting that there aren't many in the US that are other colors besides red, but maybe I am wrong.

Thanks. Send any you find my way to look at.

Robb

4. Inowownone

Inowownone Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom W.
    #5 Inowownone, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I admire you for holding off for a Blue one. I know I was looking for Red during my first Ferrari search. Stumbled onto this Blue Chiaro one. The longer I own it, the happier I am with it. 3+ years now. They say, looking is 1/2 the fun. I would disagree. It's more fun once you finally find the one. Good Luck in your search. Tom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    One of the best colors ever for a 328, from an aesthetic standpoint.

6. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #7 sammyb, Jun 23, 2008
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should probably mark Blu Medio Metallico off your list. As far as many of us have been able to tell, there were probably only two -- maybe three 328s made in this color. I have one, and I believe the owner of another one has posted on F-chat. An unclaimed picture of a third car popped up online from an old scanned photo, but it might have actually been of one of my or the other car prior to our ownership.

Blu Sera and Blu Chiaro are both elegant colors. Actually, I'd say that given the lines of the 328, there simply are no bad colors!!! Even the rootbeer-brown and mint green look great.

Get the car you want, but I would caution that it is more important to get a well-sorted car in a second or third color choice than to jump on a car with lots to fix that happens to be the right shade of blue.

By the way, here's one of my favorite pictures showing the difference between Blu Sera (the Mondial) and Blu Medio (328) -- taken last year when Bartmandial8 and I went to a show in Shelton, WA. This is proof that Ferraris don't melt in the rain.

7. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #8 climb, Jun 23, 2008
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So Sam,

Is your car for sale? ... ;) Aren't you wanting that 355? Just kidding.

Just checkin because your car IS stunning.

We'll see what I am able to find.

Who has the other blue medio car? Another f-chat member? Anyone know who?

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully I can find the right car in one of the colors I like. I agree with you on not cutting corners on the rest of the car just for the color. I wouldn't be disappointed in a great 328 in any of those colors. I just think red is more common for what I am all about.

I do have a gloss black ducati (sacrilege I know...)

Keep your eyes out for me please and I'll gladly be a good resource in Colorado.

Robb

9. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Climb --
    That's my car the day I got it back from the paint shop (getting a perfect-match to the original, thanks to Paul Hoey, who won Concorso Italiano Best in Show with his Miura.) Actually, those pix show the color better than my rain pic, although the color is better on a sunnier day (it's just harder to get a good pic with sun flares!)

Robb --
    I love my car, and I love the fact that it's pretty rare in terms of color. It also runs so well (with 86K miles on it!) I told myself that I would only get rid of it when I can trade pretty much straight across for a 360 Spider, which won't be for another 10-12 years, I'd guess. Of course, I wound up getting this 328 because someone made a stupid-high offer on my '69 Corvette convertible ;).

I'll have to look and find the other Blu Medio owner. It's been a couple years since I last saw the info on his car.

10. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #11 SeattleM5, Jun 24, 2008
    Here's a shot of my 86' Blue Sera 328 that I purchased about 6 months ago from a fellow F-chatter. I personally love the color but my main motivation for purchasing this one was that it was fully documented and a strong driver's car. Speaking of Sammyb's car, I can tell you first hand that it looks and drives great. Before purchasing mine, Sam took me for a ride in his. What a blast! Best of luck in your search Robb.

11. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Tori -- I thought your 328 was Blu Chiaro?

12. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Now you got me thinking Sam . . . I'm pretty sure it's Blue Sera. Currently working the night shift so don't have access to my papers but I'll check the color code when I get home in the morning.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I see that this hunt for the right 328 is going to be maddening and fun at the same time.

I am an optimistic guy so hopefully I will just get lucky with the perfect find.

Still looking for blue as a first choice and I think seeing bullfighter's car has bumped metallic black to a close second.

We'll see how long it takes. I'd rather wait and do it right with the right car.

LOTS of red ones out there, and many of those are VERY nice. Keep an eye out at your nearby dealers and let me know if you see one. I am hoping that Randy (nopiston) at Motorcars International in MO, will extend his track record with another beautiful 328 (but in my color). They have a very nice red one currently.

Robb

14. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Robb,
    Black (especially Metallic Black) looks absolutely fantastic on the 328. I actually almost painted my car black until I realized that Blu Medio was so rare!!! There are significantly more Nero (black) cars out there than blue, so that ups your chances.

Have fun with it -- you will eventually get the right car...and when you do, all of us here on FChat will be here to congratulate you and support you.

15. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    So Sam,

I have the perfect solution.

I'll buy a perfect nero car and we could trade... :) Don't you need some variety?

Yeah, Yeah, I know...

I'll keep lookin.

Robb

16. magnum15

magnum15 Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Color White for sale here

17. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #18 robbio99, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
    Apparently it had 123,000 miles but was described as well sorted and very clean. Is that the danger of no reserve auctions? Or accurate pricing?

18. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    People get very put-off by the mileage and not being able to see the car in person (hence no pre-purchase inspection.)

My guess is that it was probably a really good deal.

19. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #20 Bullfighter, Jun 26, 2008
  20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #21 GrigioGuy, Jun 26, 2008
  21. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    But I have a grigio (dolphin gray) audi avant and would like to mix up the colors a bit. Looking for the blue's and metallic black because of that. I guess rosso corsa would fix that garage right quick!

Leaning away from silver a little bit because of the gray audi.

What do you guys think of the 328 in silver against the other colors? Do you guys think silver is better for the 308? Seems like the lighter colors make the 328 feel a little bigger or more bloated looking... Kind of like dark suits slim, lighter suits fill out.

Or is that just me?

Why is a white 328 harder to sell? Any thoughts? Just shows dirt easier?

Still enjoying the search from Denver.

Robb

22. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I silver on a 328 looks great. Its really handsome and shows off the lines of the car very nicely. I've only seen a handful in silver, but silver or metalic black would probably be my first 2 choices for a metalic color on a 328. I've seen it with a black interior and with a red interior and its fantastic looking in person. I know there was also a silver/tan one on ebay recently.

As for white, it really does not do much for most cars, maybe with the exception of a Lamborghini Countach. White can also be a pain in the neck to live with, it shows dirt and the color yellows over time unless its always garaged.

As for red, it may give you a wider range of cars to look at, as I'm not sure how often cars in blue, silver, or other non-reds come up for sale.

Good luck and best regards,
    Dino

23. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    White has never been a desirable color for sports cars, hence white cars are harder to sell...unless you're selling a '53 Corvette, which only came in Polo White. Generally, white doesn't highlight a car's lines. White also tends to evoke "vanilla" or "white bread", which consumers tend to find unsophisticated. Consequently, white tends to be among the less popular colors for high-price sports cars. For instance, my 2002 Corvette is Quicksilver, which was the fourth most popular color ( 4618 cars) behind Black (7129), Torch Red (6862) and Electron Blue (5407). The least popular of the eight available colors? Speedway White at 1763 -- far behind the second least favorite: Light Peweter (2650). And keep in mind - America's traditional racing color is white!

The only Italian car that I know of that doesn't take at least a small value hit for white is a Lamborghini Countach.

24. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree about silver - nice color. And they're all rare. My advice would be to keep your eyes open for the first decent silver, black met or blue met 328 that comes on the market and buy.

Outside of red and basic black, these cars aren't that common.