128k mile 308 for sale on ferrari ads and no comments? | FerrariChat

128k mile 308 for sale on ferrari ads and no comments?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bpu699, Jun 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
  2. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    My 308 just turned 90,000 miles - still runs and drives like a dream. (my comment)

3. djh2627

djh2627 Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2008
    Weston, FL.
    Full Name:
    David
    Wouldnt surprise me if a lot of people have 128,000 mile Ferraris. But think they are 28,000 mile Ferraris.

4. FLVICE

FLVICE Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2006
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sad.....but true :(

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #5 Wade, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree means his/her odometer probably was not disconnected or broke for many miles... most likely a documented odometer. Be a fine driver as long as maintained, records current and a satisfactory PPI on engine values...

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I hope it sells for that price

It would help mine :)

8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I love the front bumper look of this car. Very nice!
    Could be a fun car for someone...

JIM

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    me too

I have almost 103K now

10. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Not too many QV GTBs in the States! :)

11. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the car sold at $30K considering it's quite the desirable spec. Hell..I'd buy it if I didn't own one (as some of you folks like to say) 'high mileage' 308 already :D Which by the way probably runs and drives better than most of the 'low mileage' 308s around.

12. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    He has a few cars for sale - I assume he's a poster on this board. Car looks pretty, but I saw another thread on a teardown of a mildly used 328 and the build up on the valves certainly justified the work.

As someone that may be looking to purchase a 308 or 328 (preferably a GTB), I would be nervous about this car. No basis in fact, it may be in great shape, but something scares me about Toyotas over 100K, a Ferrari would be no different IMHO.

13. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    But (generally) Ferraris are truly maintained. Toyotas are minimally serviced to try to keep most of the parts on the car for 150,000 miles, and no more. Ferraris are usually treated as if they are to last forever, Toyotas are usually treated as if they are to be turned back in when the lease is up or when the next model comes out. I would have (and had) no problems buying a high mileage Ferrari that has been properly maintained.

And a +1 on the Ferrari odometers being the most unreliable part of the entire car. And that one part probably sees proper repair last because it devalues the car, rather than increasing value.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Good point - and understood. However, as non-owner, it still makes me nervous. If well maintained, and documented, I'd feel more comfortable...

15. ajayM

ajayM Rookie

Mar 20, 2006
    S. Flori-duh
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    At this point, considering the 'newest' 308 is 23 years old, I'd be almost as wary of a car with less than 100k miles as I would be of one with more than that. 4k miles a year is still driving it, but you start to drop below that number and I'd keep my eyes just as open as on a car driven more.

16. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    The car looks good. I hope they sell it at that price.

17. NoTorq

NoTorq Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    That car really caught my eye, it's the exact 308 I'm looking for ('85 red GTB) but the mileage and the fact that nobody here seems to know anything about it kinda concerns me.

18. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I own a 85qv,with 54k and its been serviced every 3-4 years for belts and fliuds,bearings......well the point is I would buy it,these engines are meant to last and are buillet proof if taken care of and this car seems to have that care,if there were no records thats another thing but this car has them:)

19. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    It is my car. I bought it from an Fchatter 3 years ago. It is a great car. It has honestly been the most reliable 308 I have ever had. It has been very well maintained throughout its life.
    I agree with what was said above. I would say that many 308s with 40K represented miles really have 80-100K miles IMHO. The speedo are so easy to disconnect on these cars.

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i like the car, i want a GTB QV, and his car is at the top of my short list. the only thing about the miles that bug me , is the cars lack of having a valve job by now. seller did remind me that the QV does NOT have the sodium filled valves, but its a simple math of years and miles to me.

i think he has a great car, and i had hoped my Lotus would have sold by now. i cannot buy and insure yet another car, as i am out of garage space, and Hagerty requires a locked garage.

if my lotus sells soon, i will be all over this GTB QV, or the other euro GTB QV i know about.

21. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I will stick to my original thoughts- too many people get hung up on the mileage. Let condition dictate value- would rather have a superb example with 100k than a "18,000 mile" worn out poorly documented ferrari-

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djh2627
    Wouldnt surprise me if a lot of people have 128,000 mile Ferraris. But think they are 28,000 mile Ferraris.

I agree means his/her odometer probably was not disconnected or broke for many miles... most likely a documented odometer. Be a fine driver as long as maintained, records current and a satisfactory PPI on engine values...

Good Luck in your search!
    Chris

22. Mongo

Mongo Karting

Sep 8, 2005
    SF Bay, CA
    Funny, my Dad is looking for a GTSi and I'm looking for a GTB, yet need $4,000 more to save for a down payment.

Bummer. :(

23. djh2627

djh2627 Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2008
    Weston, FL.
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree with you.

24. Tony Del Priore

Tony Del Priore Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Hi! I am a new member to Fchat and think you guys are really great and very informative. The question I have for this Ferrari 308 is would anyone consider this car at 126K Miles and given its maintenance records from new to have any investment value whatsoever if his asking price is in the $30,000 range. At what point pricewise do you think this car would have any investment potential if any. To me it seems like it may just be purchased as a well maintained reliable daily driver. What do you think is a fair price range? Looking to purchase my first Ferrari and would like to get as much advise as possible. Thanks in advance, Tony.

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Zero "investment value" due to the high miles...

You'd have to do a total resto to reset it to 'zero", see Newman's Thread....okay as driver only but there's so many out there with less miles "showing".....real or not.

This is where continuous records add so much sales value, as it validates the apparent mileage..