AArrrggghhh - clutch fried by Audio Shop | Page 4 | FerrariChat

AArrrggghhh - clutch fried by Audio Shop

Discussion in '360/430' started by bizz, Jun 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Man! Seriously!! I would go to that shop and punch holes in their ****en heads to get my car back!! :D:D

How can they keep his car 'hostage', especially when he was going to pay the cash anyways? :confused::confused:

Yep, fly me back there so I can get Bizz his 360 back. Its been a while since I bashed some punks. :p:p

2. vintagemotorcars

BANNED

Apr 22, 2008
    Mesa Az.
    Full Name:
    KP
    In your original post you stated they were well respected. Were they recommended to you. If they were i would give your referral an earfullllllll.

3. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I retract my last post. :p:p

Good to hear that they are covering the clutch replacement, well most of it anyways. :D:D

Please be sure to tell ANYONE AND EVERYONE about the punks at that stereo joint!! ;);)

4. GTSguy

GTSguy Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I hope only the clutch is broken. They could have easily done more damage. Don't settle for an amount until the work is done! You probably don't know the whole picture yet....

5. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    "respected" that I saw was based on the internet sites "Yelp" and the like. But, as stated, he admitted to me that his employees wrote most of those postings. I just got screwed, plain and simple.

For clarity, he wouldn't release the car when I tried to pay with a credit card- he demanded cash. Once I paid cash, I got the tow truck over there and got the car out immediately.

-joe

6. alcatraz

alcatraz Karting

May 18, 2007
    Austin and SF
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Man, I feel terrible for you...especially with your amazing attitude. I believe in karma...the people who did this to you will get what they deserve, at some point. I hope to see you driving around in the Bay when I get back in a few weeks. All the best.
    -Ryan

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think the problem with this now, he sees where you were going with it. By paying cash, he can claim you were never in the shop and this never occurred since there is no record of it unless you, "the customer fabricated it". I'm just playing devils' advocate, but I'm quite glad you got the car out and it is getting looked into.

8. swilliams

swilliams Formula 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Bowling Green, KY
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Karma will get him.. dont worry..

I've seen many cases. TV repair guy over charged me to fix my TV by $500 years ago and it broke 2 weeks later and would do nothing(this was years ago when Big Screen Mitsu's were 3500+) He went bankrupt 1 year later..

Gotta look at the plus side.. at least your gonna get a new Clutch. Be sure to tell the Ferrari dealer to go ahead and add the extras this time. They always seem to find extra stuff that needs to be fixed or updated while they where in there.

BTW, I never did hear your car is F1, right? or Manual?

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Have the dealer check the wiring, and photograph everything. Get them a cheap digital camera to use during repair. Pressure plate may be smoked as well, and check handbrake.

Did you get receipt for the 2k? That is a stolen/refusal to release propety without a mechanic's lien, and should be reported just for driving the car. BAR can try to nail them.

Call OSHA and IRS. Former employees "worried about working conditions" often get heard by OSHA. Check with landlord of location. May have broken terms of lease.

Karma's a bear, but who says you can't give it direction without much cost other than time.
    Sorry for this mess, but you should not get pushed around like this.

2K is above small claims court limit? Not counting clutch.

GL.

L

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

He had the police there, so certainly there is a record of his car being there.

11. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Did you get the receipt and what it says about price and labors?

12. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B

Yes, I did. He knocked down the labor to $85 an hour.

So what do you guys think- should we invite Abdul to the discussion?

13. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think someone should start a new thread asking where to get a stereo installed and you could say " I just had mine done at ______________" they did a real "smokin" job for me. No slander involved. Any lawyers want to advise first?
    Dave

14. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Doesn't look to me like there's any slander in THIS thread. Just the facts and how bizz responded to everything. And he has been WAY more forgiving and tolerant about the whole thing than most of us would be. Oh, and forgot to tell you, bizz, had a similar thing happen to me. When I was restoring a 62 MGB, the machine shop pressed the cam bearing in backwards so that no oil was getting to the head. When the engine was started and I fried the motor, they tried to deny that it was the cam bearings that were the cause. Eventually everything worked out, but it was quite a time. I rebuilt the engine myself, and it only cost me another $500 in parts, so nothing on the level of what you're dealing with here.

15. 68rcodemustang

68rcodemustang Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Houston Texas
    Full Name:
    Mullet
    if this were me I would walk in with a spare key in one hand and a handgun in the other. I would then drive out with my car.

16. VR4

VR4 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    vancouver, wa
    Full Name:
    steve
    IMO you gave up too easily but they did have your 360 hostage so i can understand why you would want to get it back ASAP.

the biggest thing is that you didnt sign anything up front. that alone pretty much gets you off the hook for responsibility. any lawyer should be able to tear him to shreds and get your money back (and possibly lawyer fees too). you likely would have to pay for the equipment but not labor as you didnt sign an estimate for work or labor.

a lot of these scumbags do this cause they think 2 grand "isnt worth their time" so they keep pulling this kind of crap on ppl with nice cars. eventually they come across someone not willing to let **** slide and you dont see said scumbag ripping ppl off anymore.

17. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    My insurance company is going to pick up the tab, then they are going to go after Abdul like a rabid pitbull.

The second part of the sentence is wishful thinking, but the adjuster has me pretty well convinced that this will be the case.

I am going to get all of the points of maintenance wrapped up while it's in the shop- including a bad transmission mount and the 30K service.

Should have a well sorted 360 in a few weeks - just in time for Monterey.

--joe

18. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Thanks for the update Joe. :):)

Hope Abdul gets whats coming to him from the Insurance people. ;);)

19. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I just started reading this tread today... from start to finish. What a roller-coaster. My blood was absolutely boiling at one point.

While getting to the end must have been absolutely infuriating, looks like it's going to end well.

Joe, as others have said multiple times, your attitude through all of this has been exceptional.

When all is said and done, I hope bring us current... and then please let us know which shop this is. There are many of us who live in the Bay Area who'd love to know.

Thanks,
    Frank

20. Basura

Basura Formula Junior

May 1, 2008
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Full Name:
    Michael Basura
    It sounds like the owner of this place needs to get his ass kicked. Plain and simple.

This WILL change his business ethics

21. SCUDERIA!

SCUDERIA! Rookie

Jun 11, 2006
    Google is your friend!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pacific-stereo-redwood-city

(Owner reads yelp so feel free to provide "helpful" suggestions)

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I don't live in the area. Sorry.

23. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
    I like what Linda V. said on the review.

"C'mon Abdul. I can't say I blame you but don't you think people are going to notice that all these great reviews are posted by you and your buddies?"

24. GeorgeSSSS

GeorgeSSSS Karting

Aug 12, 2004
    #99 GeorgeSSSS, Jul 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
    The issue isn't precisely slander, but rather, trade defamation -- -- which is anything that tends to hold a merchant's goods or services in disrepute. Based on what I've read in this thread, the stereo installer in question is a criminal and he will have no problem lying about what happened and suing our friend for damages resulting to his business from alleged trade defamation. I would urge everyone to not try and be "cute" with a second thread, etc. It will just lead to trouble. I think we've all been sensitized to the dangers of leaving our cars unattended with these types of businesses.

I'm sorry about what happened to our friend, but (as I said earlier in this thread), when the smoke clears he will still be driving a Ferrari and bum installer will be crawling around under dashboards scraping his knuckles. Living well is the best revenge.

25. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Bizz
    Your insurance company has a special hell reserved for those who seek to exploit them, as Abdul will soon learn.

You're a nice guy who gets to get on with enjoying his car.
    You deserve it.