This Day can't seem to improve- NRE wheel question | FerrariChat

This Day can't seem to improve- NRE wheel question

Discussion in '348/355' started by kgalgas, Jun 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kgalgas

kgalgas Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    Agoura, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerri
    I come into work, and the whole day turns to shxx. Have 1 employee on vacation and another who is constantly calling in sick, is out sick again. Check the bank balances and problem with a previous days' deposit. Bank releases letter to the CPA firm for release of financials, bank wants finalized financials today. But the CPA firm just merged has to reissue under new name and go through technical review, I have to sign new engagment and rep letters with new letterhead. Get letter from surety but bank attorney is questioning banks UCC position, holds up funding on special term loan. My keys to get into the office to do remote deposits are lock inside the office, and everyone with spare keys are gone/ out of the office for the day.

I go home drop off the Lotus and go to drive the Ferrari to AAA for an insurance inspection. Right front tire is low, I take it to tire shop, by the time I drive to the tire shop is running on runflats. They inflate the tire and find it is leaking between the rim and the tire. When they remove the tire, come to find the NRE chrome rim chrome/ metal has pitted/ corroded, it is the size of dime and the tire has sidewall wear, tire is no good. They place sealant on the rim, order a replacement tire, and I take it home to wait for the tire to come in.

The rims run about $1,500 a piece and take 3 weeks to manufacture. My concern is the condition of the other rims. Before I do anything with the rims, I will have the tires removed from the other rims and have them inspected. My only comfort in all this, is I just pick up orginal set of 348 rims which were reinfinished, were shipped out on Wednesday. I purchased these rims to have a set of rims which would put the car back to the orginal look/ style.

My question is, took me long enough to get there, can the rim/s be refinished eliminating the corrosion, or am I faced with buying new rim/s. If the former, is there a place in LA that does them and what does it typically cost? While the sealant may hold, there is no guarantee for how long.

2. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    This is why chrome wheels are bad. Get them polished, painted, anodized or maybe powdercoated.

Never heard of NRE though. Are they HRE perhaps?

3. kgalgas

kgalgas Rookie

Mar 20, 2008
    Agoura, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerri
    You are right, they are HRE, my bad typing, and still working at 7:30.