Tamiya Paint??? Questions | FerrariChat

Tamiya Paint??? Questions

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by AustinMartin, Jun 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I am painting a Fujimi F430 Scuderia model, and wondering how to paint it. I have decided to use Tamiya Paint.

1. What paint color is closest to Bianco Fuji? I will be painting it that shade.

2. Do I need to use something to prime the plastic shell???

3. After I apply the paint to I need to put on a clear coat

4. Do I need to put on multiple coats???

5. Will a 100ml spray can do the job???

2. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    1] Don't know
    2] Tamiya [compatible] primer and sand w/1000 grit prior to paint. Sand the plastic body first w/600 grit w/d paper and wash with soapy water. Air dry.
    3] It's best, especially min two coats so you can polish
    4] On the color coat 2-3 light coats with wet sand [1000 grit] between each coat, then clear per #3
    5] If it's the standard Tamiya Laquer, yes.

3. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Why sand it???

4. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #4 desire308, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Simple...the end result is a level, smooth finish. Little chance of orange peal. It works from the body prep to the base coats which can tend to transfer to the clear coat. When polishing the clear protects from any burn thru to the primer. If you see a hint of color coming onto the paper you stop. There is a system called Micro Mesh...go's all the way to a 12000 grit. It's the very best when it comes to scale models. Here's a similar application:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

wow those are gorgeous BATS

6. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Paul Fisher 1/24 scale resin kits were the base.

7. FIGSTR

FIGSTR Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Reedley
    Full Name:
    The Figster
  8. Lee in Texas

Lee in Texas Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2006
    near Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #8 Lee in Texas, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's another vote for clear over the pearl. It's not showing up much because of the rough texture of the paint. It will really "pop" under some glass-smooth clear. If that is Tamiya's clear pearl, be aware that it has some blue in it. I didn't know that before I sprayed it on a dark red Mercedes.

When you start polishing your paint with a Micro-Mesh polishing kit, you may want to practice on something that doesn't have a lot of sharp corners. When you color sand/polish, it's very easy to rub through the paint on a sharp corner. If you were airbrushing, you could add a little more clear to high areas. That's not really possible with spray cans. It is possible to get a glossy finish with cans, but it takes a little practice.

Here's a poor-quality photo of that Mercedes I mentioned earlier. I built it while deployed to Afghanistan. It is so glossy, you can read the writing on a light bulb reflected in the paint. It's Tamiya clear red over grey primer, with pearl and lots of clear.

9. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    That silver Bat 9 is awesome