secret launch code f430 | FerrariChat

secret launch code f430

Discussion in '360/430' started by 430spider, Jun 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 430spider

430spider Karting

May 12, 2006
    North Tustin
    Full Name:
    James Warden
    Does anyone know what this is ?

But the story doesn't end there. After we shared our data with Ferrari and Ford personnel (who were largely pleased), the factory Ferrari driver hinted that his car might be able to "make a better result" with a little-known launch technique. Insisting that this technique is for qualified drivers (and they blessed me with that status) and is not publicized by Ferrari, il pilota showed me the "not-recommended" protocol. Just like getting the secret "cheat code" for a video game, it involves a series of button pushes and shift-paddle manipulations that wouldn't occur by accident in normal driving.

When it's set up, the car is in first gear with the clutch engaged and spinning. Holding the car in place with the brakes, the driver shoots the revs up to 4000 rpm and releases the brake pedal. Rather than spinning the tires, the clutch spins down from 4000 rpm until it locks up at the top of first gear for a launch that'd be about as smooth and quick as those you see on a Formula 1 grid. At 1.3 seconds to 30 mph, the Ferrari chops two to three tenths from every measured speed and finishes the quarter mile only one tenth of a second and 3.4 mph behind the GT. In our spec chart, we ran both the "normal" and "secret" launch acceleration numbers in parentheses. For shift speeds and relative acceleration rates, see the accompanying graph for the best recorded runs of these two cars.

2. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    How do we do it?

3. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    +1

4. jm348

jm348 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2007
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff M

It's a secret, if they tell you they will have to kill you!! :D

5. onlyreal

onlyreal Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    oguz goker
    i have a LC button which does what you say :)

but it kills your clutch

6. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    I don't believe it does. The shortcut in the 599 is not in the 430 system. The thread led to the conclusion that no one could do it. I am still curious and would love to hear someone that was successful.

7. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've done it on my F430.
    The "transmission failure" light comes on (how reassuring!) to let you know that you're in the right mode.
    It does not seem to fry the clutch (compared to CS LC that I've tried) -- you can't really feel much slipping of the clutch (and no burnt clutch smell at all).
    It seems much more efficient (and not as showy) as LC.

8. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    So how is it done?

9. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's been explained on other threads, but here's how:

Put in race mode (Thinking about it, it might require CST to be disabled. I don't remember, if it doesn't work in Race, you'll need to disable CST)
    Put in neutral
    Hold left paddle up until audible beep. (Transmission failure light will also illuminate)
    Dump loud-pedal to floor and hold on.

The important question, is how does this compare to the LC ? (I can only compare to the CS's LC)

Remember that there IS a clutch, and it is a manual, and that the usage of this is controlled by a computer. If that computer were a human, it's easier to explain the differences.
    With LC, the "driver" would let the clutch slip as much as possible to ensure that the revs stayed as high as possible, and let the wheels spin a great deal. This is more about "show" than "go". This is the "Motor Trend" method if you will.
    With the "secret mode", the driver would hold revs up only as high as necessary to play with the traction to "feel" the tires engaging with the road surface, minimizing wheel spin as much as practical, and using the bare minimum of clutch slippage so as to allow the maximum amount of torque possible in order to propel the vehicle forward. Think of this start at the "Kimi" method.

10. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Thanks. I will give it a shot and post back. Car in the shop tomorrow for dead battery so probably will not be until next week.

11. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Let's hope it doesn't go back into the shop after you attempt this. :D

12. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Thank you.

How did you learn this please?

13. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    2005 F430 F1

I tried this today and it worked GREAT. I felt NO clutch slip. In fact, pulling away from a light in sports mode results in MUCH more clutch slip before full engagement.

With the following scenario, the car shot off like a rocket ship! I was doing over 100 almost before I could take a breath.

Foot on brake pedal
    Switch CST off
    Pull both paddles to put car in neutral
    Pull LEFT paddle and hold until beep sounds, 1 appears in the display, and transmission failure light come on
    Let go of the paddle, foot off brake, grab the wheel, hold on tight, and push your right foot to the floor - don't be shy about it......HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

Not sure I'll ever do it again, since I don't feel the need to do hole shots, but it was quite the ride!

14. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I saw Jeremy Clarkson's explanation on Top Gear and wondered if it would work on my 2007 F430 Spider...

15. CSISNEXT

CSISNEXT Karting

Dec 19, 2007
    Does the transmission failure light go off after you subsequently stop/start the car?

16. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The light goes off as soon as you shift from first to second. No need to turn car off/on.

17. wheredidtheygo

wheredidtheygo Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    just tried it. I followed it as stated above and the tranny went into auto mode. I then floored it, the revs jumped up then grabbed at 4000 rpm and there was no wheel spin and the auto mode went off right away.. I have a crazy cold so I can not smell anything, thought that it worked ok.. My wife said she could smell the clutch right away and the smell was strong.. ( that is according to her ) which I do trust as she is very good on the track and knows when something is not right. The acceleration was no different then normal but I have only floored the car once from stand still with it in Race mode. I find if you have driven the 430 with LC it is a much more aggressive launch.. Try it if you like but make a excuse to get one of your dealers cars. You will understand after you do it..

Cheers Guys and have fun..

craze likes this.
  18. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting....I got virtually no clutch slip and no clutch smell either. It wasn't a lot different than doing a hole shot with a 6-speed.

Next time you have your car at the dealer for something, have them check you clutch wear and also the "kiss" points. Changing the "kiss" point (clutch take up point) even a few thousandths of an inch makes a big difference. My clutch was slipping a bit (37% wear in 5800 miles (I wasn't the first owner, so don't give me grief) when cold (meaning it didn't grab right away and slipped for about 25 feet before solid engagement - THAT SUCKED), and the dealer made a tiny adjustment using the SD2/3 diagnostic tool and it took care of it.

19. wheredidtheygo

wheredidtheygo Karting

Jan 23, 2006
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    Thanks I will have them look at it.. It still felt strong but was just expecting something more I guess..