How many of you Mondial guys only have one fan? | FerrariChat

How many of you Mondial guys only have one fan?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jun 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    After my complete refurb of our Mondial cooling system last year, I found that the car was running nice and cool on the highway (never hitting 195 degrees no matter what the temperature outside as long as I was moving) but often climbing beyond 195 in stop and go traffic. It always bothered me that the Mondial (at least mine) has a nice big radiator--and only one fan on it. There is a wire for a second fan, with its own relay and fuse, but no fan, and no mount on the radiator for one. I looked at the schematic and they call the second fan "optional."

So this thread is both a question and an answer.

The question is, how many of you have only one fan on your Mondial radiator?

The answer is, what I did about it. I went to Summit Racing and ordered this 10" puller fan for about $50 and mounted it up with the included direct mount kit. WOW!! This thing seems to blow about 50% more air than the OEM fan on the other half of the radiator. Holy crap, the car never goes over 195 anymore no matter what. A very worthwhile upgrade that took all of about 30 minutes to install.

I'll post a pic soon.

Birdman

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I always wondered if I was missing a fan on the 8 I used to have but never had a problem with the temps.

BTW, the t I'm looking at has two.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    My 83 had just one fan, the 88 has 2.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I didn't know the Mondials had any fans

hahahahaha I kill me ;)

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    My old '84 Mondial QV had only one fan. I never had a cooling issue with it, but had I kept it, I probably would have removed it an put a modern puller fan on there at some point. Just a prudent move to avoid overheating.

7. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
    No fans, just Apostles and Disciples :)

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sounds like the 3.2 has 2 fans but the QV and 8 had only one as standard issue.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, I'm a fan, so that's one! :D

10. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I'm a fan too/two. LOL I'd have kept the Mondi, loved it, but when the 308 dropped in my lap I had to make a choice. Just too many cars hanging around the place. So the Mondi had to go. But if I had the room, I'd get another one for sure.

11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My 82 had one.

12. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    my car has one
    I am one

Does that make 5 :D

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    My t has two - - and it's hot today so I'm fanning myself with a hand held - - and my townhome has one. So Jeff, damnit - you got me by one :)

Cheers, Hank

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    We're in winter here, not too serious, about 15/16 in the day and 8 at night. BUT the wind was so strong the other day it was blowing water OUT of my pool!!! When I migrated to NZ a couple of years ago they said you can get four seasons in one day, true, but what they didn't say was four TIMES a day!!!

15. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    My 84 QV Euro has only one fan, I got caught up in a traffic jam at LeMans a couple of years ago, temps in the high 30's and the car was fine. That's not to say I was not worried tho'. I too have thought about a second fan but my thinking is towards an electric water pump, or maybe both.

16. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Done the Le Mans trip three times and mid thirties in traffic with one fan no problem. Stopping to get fuel and restarting a couple of times....now thats another story, where the hell are those new fuse-boards!

17. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have a few electrical issues with mine and I thought that the problem lay with the fuseboard, so being impetuous, I took it apart, no obvious problem so put it back together, still the samne problems, so took it all apart again and hard wired it. Unfortunately, still got the problems but I know for sure it's not in the fusebox.

Going to lay the car up and do the bushes, drop the engine, get things cleaned up and prep for a respray.

18. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Three main areas of electrical drama's. Aircon (original wire too small) Fuel pump (relay) and slow windows (degrease the motors in the doors and there is an upgrade somewhere) I've fixed the windows, the aircon and the relay issue comes and goes, depending how hard I beat it! I know there has been a lot of talk about a replacement board but not sure how far along it is. Apart from that in nine years of ownership and about 20,000 miles all good, still grinning!

19. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #19 racespecferrari, Jul 2, 2008
    I had one on my Uk 83Qv.

I've just had a deeper ali radiator made up here in the Uk and as it will be a lot more efficient I went with the single fan updated to a slimline Spal (excuse the messy front compartment)

20. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip

Whats the aircon wire problem, mine does not work now, did when I got the car so many years ago. When I try to do something about it it seems to affect other electrical systems.

21. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    83 Cabrio, 1 fan

22. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I know there are others better versed than I the forum in techie terms but in my case the thick wire for the A/C had burned through the cheap connector to the inside edge of the fuse block. I then soldered it directly to the board and I've had no drama's since. It had burned the connector so badly that when you take it off of the board it in two pieces! Roll on the new board, pleeeeeeeeeeeeez!

23. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    82 Mondial-8, One Fan, but the wiring, fuse and relay were all installed for the second fan.
    I added a second radiator fan and an oil cooler fan, since I had a lot of cooling problems on extra hot days.
    Getting stuck in 2 mph traffic on a 100 F day for an hour was previously life threatening to the car.
    Not anymore!

24. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  25. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    #25 afterburner, May 8, 2011
    My UK-delivered '83 RHD Mondial QV has 2 fans (as per the "tropical version"), probably retro-fitted when the car got imported to HK. It looks like "original" Ferrari equipment, using the sealed plugs of the wiring loom.
    Engine temperature stays in the middle rock-solid, even in a traffic jam after the high-way in summer. And it does get pretty hot here.