ADVISE ON BEST WAY OF STORING A VEHICLE? | FerrariChat

ADVISE ON BEST WAY OF STORING A VEHICLE?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NOWANNABE65, Jun 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NOWANNABE65

NOWANNABE65 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    What is the best way to store a car? Some of my vehicles have battery cutoff knobs and others don`t. Is it better not to mess with that and just put a trickle charger or use the cut off switch. Also, some people tell me to keep the tanks empty while others tell me to have the gas tank full of fuel. I am pretty much the only driver of 30 plus cars and I have alot of cars on lifts as well. I thought about getting rid of some cars but I am a pack rat when it comes to selling cars. I end up selling it for a loss and buy it back again since I miss the car I sold. Do cars need to be driven weekly, monthly, quarterly? I am sorry if I am sounding ignorant but the only thing I know about cars is fueling and driving. I did jump my Lambo Murci LP640 and blew the master fuse since the I put the positive and negative cables on the two poles of the battery. I just looked for the red cable but did not realize after the fact that both post had red cables. Enough of me bragging of how stupid I am. Any tips and advise will be appreciated.

Gustan

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Add gas stabillizer, remove the battery, jack up the vehicle enough to relieve flat spots, put the car cover on, and do check on the mice.

3. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #3 desire308, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    Stupid...with 30 cars?...I don't think so. Keep the tanks full and add stabilizer [extended periods]. Low tanks = moisture...not good. Not sure you have to remove the battery, just the negative [in most vehicles]. If you remove the whole battery mark each connection so you don't foul it up again ;) Keep a trickle charge around so you can attach the night before you anticipate a drive. It's not a good idea to jump some of these cars.

If you drive 30 cars weekly that would be a chore...thats at minimum 4 per day LOL. I try to drive mine at least once every other week until fully warmed and then give it a good workout...once a month might work too.

Hey...I'm in FL...need someone to drive your cars?...it's a full time job ;)

4. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #4 ducowti, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    Gustan, sounds like you need to do as Malcom Forbes had (and the current principal has) w.his fleet of motorcycles: hire a fulltimer to tend to flock! Friend of mine has that enviable position and all he does is maintain/keep active the fleet and plan the rides they do.

I would keep them on a trickle charger. I think you should install a battery tender terminal (very easy, esp now that you know about terminal polarity :D) for easy access so you don't have to get at the batteries of the 20-odd cars that sit a while. Then get a few tender banks w.several tending leads each hit all your cars. http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=20

As for fuel, the concern is condensation in the tanks which is why you've heard the two seemingly conflicting advises; w.a full tank (very full) there's minimal opportunity for condensation since it can't form in the absence of air (which is why I say 'minimal' since it'd be difficult to fill the tank so fuel touches the top of the tank). In an empty tank it's the same (re: condensation) since there's no substrate. However, it's also difficult to drain a tank completely dry and you still may wind up w.condensation.

Draining is a PITA and you don't want to run it dry since doing so risks gumming up your fuel filter w.bottom-of-the-tank detritus. So you could fill it and Stabil-ize it w.the caveat that unadulterated fuel usu degrades about after 30days and Stabil doesn't indefinitely preserve fuel. If you're rounding the cars at least every 60-90 days I'd go the Stabil-ized full-tank route.

5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sounds like you need a car tender. Not a battery tender. That many cars require a lot of attention in order to stay in top performance condition.

I'm available weekends and holidays.

Or, make more friends and go for a drive with all your cars driven by your friends at least once a week.

I'm available for that, too. :D

DM

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Some good info here

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176756&highlight=winter+storage

And there is another good link within the above thread.

Otherwise my short version.

Over 6 months

Battery tender, (battery completely out if in a place where it can freeze), full premium fuel (non ethanol blend if you can find it), stabil, fresh oil, no random starts unless you can geteverything up to running temp, moisture controll packs inside the car, modern tires don't flatspot....

Under 6 months probably throw a tender on it, full tanks and go... under 6 monts isn't really storage IMO.

Good luck.

7. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    I just wanted to thank eveyone for your comments and advise. I did drive four cars yesterday and that was the limit for the day. My testarossa was running fine with ice cold air three months ago. Yesterday, the a/c was just blowing warm air. Took the Diablo Roadster out and the ABS light came on. Shut off the ignition and restarted but the car would not restart. Ended up getting towed. The car was just fully serviced last year and had a new clutch installed. Took LP640 out late and dash lights went out and car eventually died. Called a buddy of mine, a cop on duty, and he came over with a portable battery charger. I looked for the first red cable and placed the positive to the first red cable and the negative to the other. I found out Murcielagos have two positives on the battery and ended up blowing the master fuse and the computer. Window tint guy game over to tint my Countach. My Diablo 6.0 was on the top lift. I raise the lift as high as it would go so the window tinter can get the Countach door open. Tint guy leaves, I push the garage door opener to close the door, shatters the windshield. Ironic part of all these incidents is that I was stone sober.

Getting back to auto storage, I am curious on how collectors maintain vintage or older collector cars with so little miles. Recently I have seen a 150 mile F40 advertised for $825K. The car is 16 plus years old and I wonder whether they just turned the ignition on or just had the cars up on jacks with a full tank of fuel. I am begining to realize that I might have to let a few cars go. They seem to break down even if I do not use them not counting on the dumb ass mistakes I make. It is not just putting the car in the garage, put a cover on it, and let it sit. The brake rotors of my Barchetta was coated with rust and I did not even take that car out for the past year. Any further advise and comments would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again. I am not bragging at my stupidity but the reason I posted what I did was to deter others from making the stupid dumb ass mistakes I made.

Gustan

8. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Really appreciate your advise, Scott.

9. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Dave,

That is too much hassle dealing with a car sitter. I had a buddy drive my CGT and the guy blew the clutch. I ended up paying for it but the guy felt so bad, even to this day. I do realize accidents happen. I know some people have a full time car tender, like you, to take care of their vehicles, but I cannot justify having someone under payroll to carsit these toys. I am not at that level yet and my cars are not high end collectibles. They are just toys that I enjoy having it in my garage and driving them from time to time. Thanks for the proposition. Give me a shout if you ever are in the Chicagoland area. I will let you drive my cars.

Best,

Gustan

10. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC

Thanks, David. Your advise seems similar to Scott`s and it makes alot of sense. Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Best,

Gustan

11. Frunkey

Frunkey Karting

Jun 18, 2008
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Gus,

If you do need someone in the Chicagoland area to help tend to your cars...I'm here for you! I'm in Vernon Hills, and would happily help you out for free.

12. Orlando360

Orlando360 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 24, 2008
    Orlando and Richmond
    Full Name:
    Ray E
    Lots of good advice. Only thing I can add is to max inflate your tires because modern tires can flat spot. The cars are shipped here with their tires at max pressure.

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    #13 Darolls, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
    Modern tyres don't have a 'flat spot' problem, it's the old nylon corded tyres that do. Any 'flat spots' in modern tyres will disappear after driving for a few miles. Also, never store a car with the suspension unloaded (i.e. with the tyres off the ground; the suspension system doesn't like that).

Battery maintainer and full tank of gas is all you need. My mechanic just started my MB which has sat outside in Chicago weather for the past 3 years. He had to install a new battery, and it started with 2 cranks.

Many people don't understand what long-term storage is. It isn't a few months or even 1 year; it's many years!

14. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    How about the fuel, oil, and other fluids in the car? Since I do have a lot of cars, a full tank of fuel might last me two or three years on some of the cars that I do not drive too often. Every mechanic I talk to has a different recipe.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    As far as fuel goes, just use the appropriate amount of Stabil, Sea Foam...fuel stabilizer of your choice.

This spring I started using one of my 66 corvettes which had 5-7 year old gas in it. I had stored it with stabil and she started just fine. It did run better when I ran the tank down and added some fresh 91 octane, but it kept for all those years.

Key is to add the right amount...too much and you can have troubles. I believe in the stuff.

16. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #16 ducowti, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
    Believe that. Resist the urge to add 'just a bit more' thinking more MUST be better. Try to add only as much as is called for (I think it may be 2oz/gallon? don't remember).

If the car is to sit more than a few months - despite how few miles since last oil change, as long as it's > 0 - I would recommend changing the oil.

17. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    As I stated earlier, my MB sat outside with 3 year old petrol (the cheap stuff:)) and no Stabil. It started like it had been sitting for a day.

Same with my other cars that sit more than driven. I've never used Stabil and probably never will. I did buy a bottle a number of years ago but never used it.

18. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a jetski that sat two years w.old fuel. Same with a chainsaw. Both started and ran ok. I don't let that happen any more though.

Are you familiar with athersclerosis? Just because your body functions ok w.blood pumped through occluded vessels doesn't mean things aren't festery in there! A car may run ok w.old degraded fuel but that doesn't mean the lines or jets or bowls, etc, are in optimal condition. Not trying to convince you of anything, just raising the point for th OP.

19. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The F40 with 150 miles on it probably hasn't been started in 15 years. Most likely after about the second year it probably needed a battery and fluids and other things and didn't start so at that point he just left it alone. Most likely to drive the car all fluids will need to be changed along with anything rubber, belts, hoses etc. Probably have to check the cylinders with a bore scope to see how much rust is on the cylinder walls before trying to crank it.

20. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I know what you're saying, but it takes a long time for gasoline to gel. Now diesel fuel, that's a different story!

21. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

How is it that a guy with over 30 cars hasn't figured out how to store them yet?

22. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Good question. I just started collecting them last year.

23. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    The car is a jalopy then. I needs a full mechanical overhaul. I just do not understand why car enthusiasts make such a big deal with mileage. For me, as long as the car has been propertly maintained, I do not mind the mileage. My 2005 Porsche Carrera GT had 9K miles on it when I purchased it.

24. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I tend not to buy the "cars that aren't run suck" line. Metal doesn't degrade just on it's own... the susceptible places are inside the engine. I have vehicles I stored for periods of some years and my process was

-Fill the gas tank to brimming full
    -Run some of the gas through the engine, get the stabilizer in the fuel lines
    -Pull fuse for fuel pump, let engine die (removes pressure in the fuel lines and empties the fuel rails)
    -Pull spark plugs, put a little heavy oil in the cylinders (like Marvel Mystery Oil). Turn over engine with fuel pump fuse out just a few cranks to spread the oil around
    -Change the oil *prior* to storage

That was about it. I've rebuilt the motors of cars I've stored this way and never seen any sort of excessive wear to make me reconsider.

Gus, I think if you can drive your car even once every couple of months, you will be OK. Engine oil will still have a thin coating on cylinder walls for a looong time after the motor was last run. In a fuel injected car there really are no carbs to clog up and gas today doesn't go bad like it used to, especially with Sta-bil in it. If you know you will be storing the car for a period of some long months or years, I would do the procedure listed above.

Your attitude about the cars is great - yes they are "just" cars and parts will wear. Don't drive yourself nuts trying to minimize wear... anything that breaks can be fixed, and the only thing that *will* expire with 100% certainty, is YOU, so enjoy them, don't lay in bed fretting over whether they are stored in the absolute best way, do your best to drive them as you can, and always remember they are still mechanical things and will wear and break, and all you can do is delay that or minimize the impact of that :)

Jaymac likes this.
  25. NOWANNABE65

Nov 22, 2007
    Midwest, U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    GLC
    Thank you for the informative information. There is no way in the world I am going to follow those steps with the amount of cars I have. That seems like a lot of work. I guess it is time to see what cars I like and think about selling the majority of them. I have a hard time finding the battery on some of these cars, can you imagine me finding the spark plugs?