Who's Been in the Military? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Who's Been in the Military?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Ferrari_lvr, Jun 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I believe that is for side-saddle or ops seat. Not pilot...but, not current on this, it was 20/20 for me. I'd research it further but can't find my da&n glasses

age, the equalizer

2. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    #27 Ryan S., Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    first of all shut up....Second I can point you in the direction of thousands of Pat Tilmans.......Also that line is pretty good lol, really leaves her with no "out" lol

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I served over ten years in the Air and Army National Guard - both enlisted and officer. You have to become an officer, to go to flight school. With that, you will almost always be required to have a four year college degree.

Another option, is to apply for WOC school with the Army. If you pass the physical and FAST test, you may be accepted for Army flight school with just a hi school diploma. WOC school is not easy - it is worse than OCS. Passing a Class I flight physical, requires a lot more than just having excellent vision. They will also test your ability to judge depth, color blindness, and they will dialate your pupils etc... Their are also other stringent physical requirements to pass.

As far as I know, you have to be in flight school before you are 26 1/2 - approx date for the Air Force. They will give you slightly more time, if you served on active duty - at least they did in the past. If you are serious about jets, check all your options, (before) you become too old. In addition, you have a much better chance flying jets in the USAF. Their are less jet seats in the USN and USMC.

The ANG and USAFR, also sends a few students to UPT each year. They usually only select candidates from their own units. If you become rated in choppers with the Army, it is possible to join an ANG unit as a figher pilot, after you are released from the Army. It has been done in the past ! If you go to college, make sure you join an ANG or any reserve unit - it can only help you. At this point, it is to your advantage, to learn about every possiblity, and clearly understand the age deadlines for acceptance.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Well, Dan....

You have never met Mark.
    You have never met Mike.
    You have never met Frog.
    You have never met MarineVette.
    And you and I have never met.

In fact there are about at least a hundred people on this forum you must not have ever met.

:( is right.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    You don't have a clue !

I know of an enlisted member in AZ, who is registered as a CPA, and who served in the Guard ! I know of an enlisted member, who has a PHD. Their are some very sharp people in the military.

Your comments are insulting, to anyone that has served.

6. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    #31 cessnav8or, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
    Well I see Dan is back again. DrS definitely does not come off that way to me. Until he went to Iraq I for one didn't even know he was in the Marines. Frankly Reading his posts before he went there I got the impression he really didn't want to or had to go. I for one don't believe for a second he needs the Marines for a reason to gain respect or pick up "chicks" I believe he had enough success and attitude/character without the Marines to accomplish both.

Dan The name you put in your profile "Sherlock" is definitely an oxymoron because you get a clue if it smacked you in the face.

7. testarob

testarob F1 Rookie

May 13, 2006
    Debary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nor has he met me. I volunteered for service the week before Christmas 1969. Things were a little hot back then to say the least. I survived my 4 years and came out a better person for having done it.

I see Dan was banned too. Appropriate.

8. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    He'll be back I don't think he can even keep up with the number of screen names he has started here.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    What kind of "grill": bar-b-cue,...... or the chrome front end of a car that covers the radiator?

10. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Me neither. I served in the Navy in '71-'72 and made two tours off the coast of Viet Nam and two round the world cruises. I went because I thought it was the proper thing to do at the time for my country. Did I agree with Johnson? Nope, but that did not stop me from serving my country. And still today I believe I made the right choice. Sadly, we did not get the crowds welcoming us back home like we see today. Well, there were some crowds in some places but they were not cheering.

And to use it to pick up girls and brag because you have been in............Very shallow. If you did not want to go because you felt it was what you need to do and really want to do for the proper reason, I do not want you "protecting" me. You would be the first one to turn and run away at the first hint of someone on the opposite side firing at you.......

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #36 parkerfe, Jun 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
    I was in Naval Aviation as an enlisted Avionics Technician from 1974 to 1977...spent most of my time in the Mediterranean aboard the USS JFK... It was a great experience. Plus, The GI Bill paid for my college and law school once I was discharged which I could have never afforded without the NAVY. If you want to fly, learn to fly at your local airport and go to a college that offers ROTC or contact your US Congressmen about being recommended for one of the academy's. Good luck...

12. PerryC07

PerryC07 Karting
    BANNED

May 30, 2008
    Mobile, Al
    Full Name:
    Perry C
    I was in the USAF, as a 1A7, aka Aerial Gunner. I was on MH53-j Pavelows. I loved my job, and loved the service.

I did time in Iraq, more than 17 months, shortly after 9/11.

And trust me Dan, you would have never known that I went, and I dont work for McDonalds. Idiot.

I never wanted to become an officer, becuase I knew I did not want to resign. I went for the education, and got it while I was still in. There are alot of perks to being a service member, and limitless personal classes that you can take from on base personel that you can use to better yourself. That and you learn your specific cores ideals. Ours was "Honesty, Integriy, Service before self, and Excellence in all we do." That today, is still how I try to run my life and its worked out great for me so far.

Best,

PerryC

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Hasn't met me either.

9 years active duty, "Ass-in-the-grass" US Army Signal Officer; Armor, Infantry, Field Artillery, Cav and Sniper/Instructor (US Army Shooting Team). Carreer expectancy (before getting fired) for a Signal Officer in the Comabt Arms is less than 2 years (during peace time). I lasted almost 6 years in that positon before the reassignment gurus caught up with me.

16 Years US Army Reserve, Europe. Spent more time in-the-poop while a Reserve Soldier than while on active duty. Funny how that worked. I am also a Dept of Army Civilian in my "Real Life." About done with the uniformed half of my life after 24+ years. Enough. Althought I NEVER wanted to be in the military beyond my ROTC obligation, looking back, I would NEVER take another route in life. Never. I'd do it all over again in an instant.

My German girl friend (now wife) HATED/HATES the fact I was/am in the US Army. Absolutely No "plus" what-so-ever in the "nookie dept" there. In fact the number of guys I can concretely say used that limpwristed line on a chick I can count on one hand.

What an uninformed opinion (cnadton), from a know-nothing.

Besides, there are a lot of people out there in hiring positions in the civilian world even today, very much like my father. If it came down to two people with nearly (sometimes no-so-nearly) identical applications, the one who served (male or female), got the job---- hands-down.

As my dad said to be as I has heading off to report to my first duty station, ""Son, you did good. But, you are about to get a real education and learn a lot too." How right he was.

14. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    4 active 6 reserves, same wife, and NO money was not a factor.

15. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    10 years active, enlisted.

6 years as an officer, half of that in Saudi and Kuwait, 3 years reserve.

Worked as a government contractor in Kuwait for 14 years supporting our military and now own a company that provides the logistical and local support needed both in and near a war zone.

Wouldn't change a thing....

Mike in Kuwait

16. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    It is as I suspected, many of the best of FChat served their country... and we never even knew it.

My glass up to all of you!

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    #42 agup48, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
    I've never been in the military, but I would like to take the time and say thank you to those that have. Honestly, I don't think I could go into the military, I 'm proud to be an American, it's just that I doubt it's right for me. So again, thanks to those who have stepped up to fight for our country.

and Doc, you need to add Simon Tibbett or whatever, to your PunksOwned: List. :D

18. mvarga

mvarga Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    Atlanta Georgia
    #43 mvarga, Jun 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
    I think cnadton might be guilty of overgeneralizing things when he said "it's the military or McDonalds." And though I don't question for a minute that there are a lot of very bright guys in the military, I do remember reading in the paper a few years ago that a large number of kids are signing up for the military because they feel that is their only option economically. Unfortunately my nephew is an example of this. After being left back twice he eventually dropped out of school. He got his GED and joined the service. He realized the military wasn't the fun and games he thought it would be. He was hit by a drunk driver 2 years ago. He was relatively uninjured, but has been milking it to stay out of the military. I also forgot to mention he fathered a kid when he was in high school. I hope he stays out of the military for everybody's sake. He's a bum!!!

19. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    I'm in my 19th year in the usaf- I think its a great opportunity for today!

20. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Good idea!