Yellow Nylocks - Newco sells them for $7 each, other sources? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Yellow Nylocks - Newco sells them for $7 each, other sources?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by synchro, Feb 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    I thought you said you were leaving?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had to tuck it behind the seat, in my 308GTB...LOL!

I don't even belong in this thread, "I just happened to stop in here on my way to Australia"

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Heck I just noticed, you already ARE in Australia!

4. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Steve, I for one appreciate you keeping those rouge Ferrari concours judges in line. It's always nice to be reminded that when it comes to Italian cars, there was less emphasis placed on factory quality control, so therefore "different" does not necessarily equal "incorrect".

Had they been German cars, on the other hand . . .

5. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005

So you actually trained all your life to qualify to own a Ferrari? I didn't realize this was necessary. Personally, I just borrowed the money.

Tom W

6. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    The fact that you have experience riding crotch rockets doesn't make you a better Ferrari owner, just a more likely organ donor. Furthermore, calling people "posers" because they embrace and demonstrate the attention to detail required to restore a Ferrari to concours standards is a tad disrespectful and foolish.

Like many people who post in this section, I restored my Ferrari (1969 Dino 246GT) in painstaking detail and felt the journey was a big part of the reward. Finding the right parts and even the right hardware is really rewarding for people who are very detail oriented. Driving those same nuts off the car is equally rewarding for many of those same people.

Finally, while I agree that the rigor of restoring and judging Ferraris is often very subjective and not everyone's cup of tea, it has its place in the passionate world of Ferrari ownership. The fact that you've got seat time on fast motorcycles (or that I've got seat time racing vintage F1 cars), while interesting, does not make either of us more qualified to own a vintage Ferrari. Like it or not, the ability to write a fat check for a vintage Ferrari (and yellow nylocs nuts, whatever your source) counts for a great deal if you want to acquire and maintain one of the cars mentioned in this section.

Regards...Keith

7. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Yes

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Did anyone buy any from the German company?
    Grant

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what german company? source?
    ed

10. horizon

horizon Rookie

Dec 13, 2008
    Re: NEWCO. Great service, helpful and ship's right away.

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yellow Nylocs? What is wrong with blue? Where are the yellow ones, did you lose them? Nylocs are reusable many times, just read the book by Carroll Smith:
    "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners, etc.". Regards, Alberto

12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  13. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can nylocks be replated w/out damaging the yellow material?
    ed

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Ed,
    plating itself doesn't hurt the nylon insert, but the proper (and necessary) pre and post heat-treatments for embrittlement will.
    Timo

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    timo,
    thanks for the reply. so, replating original nylock nuts is not recommended, but to replace?
    ed

16. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well,
    if one is bent on the idea of having O.E. nuts, they can be re-plated, but to retain "originality" in their appearance and somewhat proper locking integrity, nylon lock rings should be removed before aforementioned processes and then replaced with "new" yellow nylon lock-rings after. So it can done (and has been, with a very time consuming efforts), but if one can buy something very close (close enough for what ? Appearance ? To fool judges ? Or....?), it's probably more cost effective to do so, even at $ 7.-/each. Besides, how often they (nuts and bolts of a car) need to be replaced anyway ? Every 10 years ? 20 ? Once during ownership/restoration ? Actually and technically, they should be replaced every time they've been removed, especially nylocks.
    Timo

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    TTR,

I would be curious how one would replace the yellow ring.

john

18. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    Hi John,

Utopie or wishthinking.

C.

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    JV,

My local plater's clear cad plating process works in a way that the nylocks come back with the nylon still yellow, so that is an option for you. It's a little more expensive than clear zinc, but it really looks fantastic (although I hear that it dulls more quickly). Clear Cad for me is a really great option if you are not doing absolutely every nut and bolt, because it is a little less bright than clear zinc, and it wont stand out as much when compared to the other "original finish" hardware. Even though the nylon is still yellow, it is probably not as good as it was when new - perhaps not the best option for suspension components.

20. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If the car is driven, the self-locking nuts should be replaced with new each time they're removed.

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I spoke to Hein today,[from the German company] he has told me, he found the company in Italy that made the nuts for Ferrari and Fiat, he got them to make them for him, so they should be as near to the original nuts as possible, plus Max has used them on his Daytona restoration and he said they where fine.
    Grant

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Hi Cornelis,
    no it's not utopia or wishful thinking, but instead just sort of a "stupid" exercise of one trying to proof, basically to himself (again), that anything can be done. I for one, have found myself in these kinds of "cases" almost too often, and many of them much more difficult than this, especially considering that I don't usually get paid to spend all that time doing these tasks. So I guess it's like a hobby of mine where cost-effectiveness doesn't really matter. Yep, lots of us "crazy" people out here.

John,
    it's not that difficult to replace the ring itself by making it from nylon stock, maybe spend an hour (or so), but I had to design and make a special socket to ensure that the ring would not slip out during first engagement of threads coming through. Once the threads were completely through the ring, it had expanded enough to stay in place.

Timo

23. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks TTR. I think the way the nut is made is the ring goes in the socket like head of the nut then the socket is pressed inward giving the ring its "choking" power. It seems to me that your technique would give the right look, but I wonder if it would give the nut back its purpose and integrity.

Whether the replacement nuts come from Germany or Newco Products, they do not exaclty look like the factory nuts. For this reason I would be inclined to go with Tom K's way of replating and maybe using blue Loctite.

john

24. buurman

buurman Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    cornelis leendert
    Timo,
    Only this:

Functionality and reliability can save lifes, Aesthetics doesnot.

Not all of us have would like to have a trailerqueen

Ciao
    C.

25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes but if you are taking everything apart and have to buy new nuts anyway, why not get the correct ones? The extra cost of maybe a £1 or less per nut extra over blue nylocks is nothing in percentage terms when you are doing a full rebuild.
    Grant