Going to the Ferrari Factory | FerrariChat

Going to the Ferrari Factory

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by J2J, Jul 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    Going to the Ferrari factory in two weeks...any last minute suggestions/pointers?

2. Ulf

Ulf Karting

May 28, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Full Name:
    Ulf
    don't miss the museum.....and florence.....and pisa.....and rome........and.............:)

3. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
  4. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Reservations at the Montana. A must.

5. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    my wife and I are planning a trip to Italy in the future and how do I get reservations to go to the factory,I don't want to see it through the fence,but like to go into the factory and see the cars and depts that put this fine cars together

6. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Planet Hotel...an absolute must. Ask for a room that faces the factory; I think we stayed in Rm 406...Fantastic view!

7. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Call your local Ferrari dealership. They'll send you an application where you provide all kinds of info such as your VIN #...cannot get a tour without one. As the linked thread suggested, I used Mary at Ferrari of Washington, but, that was my 'home' dealership when I went.

8. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll 2nd that. You also need to eat at Cavallino across from the factory. Most importantly, there are many small sports car repair shops located on the side streets of Maranello. Not uncommon to see some very nice old racing cars and 60's F-cars.

9. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    Definately go to the Galleria....and see if you can have your dealer organise some extras for you. Best advise is go eat at the Cavallino Restaurant opposite the Factory gates.....best steak and pasta you will have in the area....obviously cuz its cooked in Ferrari oil....hahahaha! We loved it. I will be there next week too....hope you enjoy!

MJ

10. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    The tour was nowhere near as exciting as I expected but the museaum and lunch at Il Cavillino (sp?) were good.

11. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    If you do stay at Planet, ask the concierge where to drive to get local balsamic vinegar (at non tourist sites). All within ten minutes drive, and not touristy at all. You'll likely have to knock on the doors to even see if they are in/open. Very quaint, but incredible tastes. Otherwise, just explore. Those are the best memories of all. Enjoy!

12. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    do you mean on it's block? surely you don't mean the food is better than montana's about a mile away?

13. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    I would suggest Cavallino for lunch, Montana for dinner. Don't miss Cavallino for the atmosphere, but food is certainly better IMO at Montana. Again, get reservations. Odds of walking in and getting a table I think will be slim.

14. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you will be driving I would suggest getting a Tom Tom with the Italy map preloaded. Make sure your co pilot knows how to work it. It gets a bit difficult in the cities, the street signs "if there is a street sign" are on the corners of buildings, not on a post like here. The Tom Tom also has all of the photo enforcement on the highways mapped and it warns you 1/4 mile ahead. We had ours set in miles not km and it seemed a bit easier. The speed limits for most of the roads are also programmed. Works great while walking also. We gave a few people that were lost derections.
    Have a great trip.

15. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I wasn't impressed with Cavallino at all and would go so far as to say it was the worst meal we had in Italy during our trip there. Just remember that it's a relative thing because the food in Italy was incredible. Having said that, Montana's was one of the best meals we had. The crowds showed it. Cavallino was nearly empty (even at 9 pm) the night we were there yet Montana's was packed. Maybe we caught them on an off night.

16. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    +1. not impressed with cav, loved montana.

17. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Would agree. Still might be worth going inside to see or at least have lunch. It's quite busy at lunchtime because of location, not necessarily because of food quality IMO. Also, wouldn't buy their balsamic vinegar. For the price, go to small villages around Modena. Better quality and far cheaper. Don't have the prancing horse on the label, but not worth the money.

18. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #18 jknight, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
    If you want THE BEST restaurant in Maranello and the finest balsamic vinegar you should go to La Noce - it's located on Via Giardini Nord - stay on the road in front of the employee entrance to the factory, go past the Maranello Cafe (always a must for us after dinner, late evening - last time there, we were reading one of the Italian newspapers talking about the espionage saga with Ferrari/McLaren before it was "officially" announced) and out of town about 7km. Our friend, who several years back was "Ferrari Customer Service" took John and I to dinner there and we got a tour of the balsamic vinegar vats across the road from the restaurant. The restaurant was a "hangout for Ross and the Ferrari guys". We tried to go there last year when we went for the 60th anniversary but they were totally booked. www.lanoce.it At Montana, we always ask Mauricio for a table in the back room. On one of our trips, we found a balsamic festival taking place in town, behind the yellow 360 lawn ornanment, I don't remember what time of the year (perhaps April) it was but it was fantastic. Just remember in Italy, dinner normally doesn't commence until 20:00. One time we met up in Maranello with friends from London - they stayed at a very nice hotel just off the circle at the main factory entrance (one with big horsey statue in center) - very nice place, had a waterwheel and lovely place for drinks outside - their room was beautiful and VERY reasonably priced - here's the translated website: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.locandadelmulino.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DLocanda%2Bdel%2BMulino%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26pwst%3D1I - if link doesn't work, website is www.locandadelmulino.com One of our stays at the Planet (F1 Test Day '05) we had the ultimate room . .balcony overlooking the factory entrance, Il Cavallino, mountains and the Gestive Sportiva (Ferrari racing area), we could also see/hear cars on the Fiorano track. .. . most of the time we stay at the Domus. Driving in Italy is not problem at all - just have coins ready for the toll areas. You'll love the Autostrada when the end of speed limit signs appear . . just remember do not drive there like most folks drive in the US - left lane is FAST cars and passing cars ONLY - always watch your rear view mirror and always signal - if someone leaves their turn signal on in the left lane then they plan to stay there and you best not be there (ala silver SLR one time, big silver blurr!). We find our Nuvi with the European card works very well if you don't know your way around. In Maranello, you can park in the lot by the Galleria and walk to what you want to see (lots of shops, Fiorano is just a couple blocks away, great pizza restaurant down from Warm-Up). If you have a spare day(s), a trip to San Marino is definitely worth taking, especially spending some time in the Maranello Rosso Museum which is on the left just prior to the gates into San Marino...great pizza restaurant on top of one of the towers (lots of shopping in the towers, tax free of course). If you go into Modena you will see the same statue that's adjacent to City Hall and the Domus - it's a must to look at - Pierro dedicated the statue and the history depicted on it is unbelievable. What is your arrival city?

Have a great time.

Ciao,
    Carol

19. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    #19 J2J, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm actually in Maranello right now. Staying at the Planet Hotel (location is perfect) but unfortunately because it's Sunday nothing (good) seems to be open (for dinner). I've been in Italy for 10 days now so I've had my fill of great food, wine, and balsamic (probably gained 10 lbs!). Started the holiday in Rome, spent 4 days in Tuscany (Vorno to be exact), spent yesterday in Florence and came up here this afternoon..long trip but fun.

Here is about the freshest shot of the factory you can get...took it tonight around 7:15pm.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Article in the latest "Automobile" magazine, the one with a BMW M1 concept on the cover, covers Marenello and what to see, do, and where to eat and sleep pretty well it seems, check that out too. Most places already mentioned but some additional info. Have a great time!

Jeff

21. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was just there on June 27 Say hello to to Mr. Franco Fregni of Planet Hotel, He is a great guy He gave me the best room on the top floor facing the factory. The Restorante Cavalino across the street has Fantastic Italian food, check it out and enjoy.:)

22. rynoshark

rynoshark Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Excellent! Mary and I are just outside Modena as I write (well really Sassuolo for 2 nights) but plan to stay on Wednesday night at Planet Hotel as well. Will definitely say hello to Franco for you! Plan on heading to Maranello all day on Wednesday.

23. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore
    Be sure to let Franco know you are an owner upon check-in. He's a true gentleman and Ferraristi. He made my stay there an experience I will never forget. My wife and and I truly enjoyed his hospitality.

24. gages

gages Karting

Jan 5, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve G
    #24 gages, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. J2J

J2J Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2008
    Franco was the best...incredibly nice and helpful. He actually called over to the factory to confirm my tour time (w/o my asking!). Great find!! Stay at the Planet. It's very basic but perfectly located and gets you in the mood!