BUMPER LAWS CHANGED! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

BUMPER LAWS CHANGED!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Prancing 12, Jun 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#76 Kds, Jul 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
    Sure I have said positive things, lots of times in fact.......

Problem is, sometimes facts are often perceived as negatives by those who live in dream land............and, I don't own a 355 so there is nothing to protect.

FWIW about half of the Canadian Fly Yellow 355's have been hit bad and repaired. Did you know that ? You may have to sell soon as you are a home builder according to your profile. And we all know what is happening to RE in Canada and the US. There, that is negative.......but a fact.

James....

You are lucky my friend....I fly down and look at everything, unless you are a Porsche dealer and I have bought 3-4-5 cars from you already. $2K of due diligence expense sure beats buying back a POS.

2. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    I doubt they will....whats his face at lambo toronto will never let it happen or will die trying.....i hope it does for future clients purposes but feel bad for the clients that i've sold lambo's to this last year or two....

3. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
  4. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
  5. Agent_355

Agent_355 Karting

May 13, 2007
    Richmond Hill, Ont
    Call me crazy, but I would not sell mine for that. It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of discussion 355 pricing receives. If everyone I know who has said "what if" about buying one in the U.S. actually does it, the prices in the U.S. might actually rise because of the sudden demand. Keep in mind I know I can't sell my car for what was paid for it two years ago, but I don't expect the price of it to completely go to hell because of this U.S. admissibility. The economy maybe. After all we are only just over a year away from the first crop of 95's coming over de-restricted anyways.

Would I buy a U.S. car if I were shopping now?...Yes if I found a good one (they are out there).
    Would I NOT buy a Canadian car because I think I am paying to much?...No, but again it has to be the right car.

At the end of the day I truly believe that any instability/swings in the 355 market are going to be relatively short lived (2-3 years). The same as we would be dealing with by that time because of the 15 year exemption anyways. Good cars will always bring good money whether bought North, South, East or West.
    This is strictly my opinion only, and it is worth what you are all paying for it. I had the same vibe about my 98 993 C2S that I sold in 2002. If I could buy that car back today for what I sold it for I would jump on it. I think the 355 will have the same type of desirability down the road.

Just my 2 cents......Canadian.

6. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    At the F-dealer north of $125,000 for a mint F355B.
    - the 355B will be a future classic,not many made and with its classic lines it will always be in demand,it may also be worth more than a early model 360 in the near future.

7. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    At $125, it already is worth more than early 360 coupes.

8. Ferrari355Spider

Jul 18, 2006
    Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Tony
    RE couldn't be stronger in Ottawa right now. Another negative without knowing facts, stick to selling used porches...

9. F360-1386

F360-1386 Formula 3

Oct 8, 2006
    Markham, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    51216M
    I am waiting for a US Lambo become legal whilst I am enjoying flipping my red Horse.

10. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    I edited your post. Do me a favour...no name calling.

Cheers,

11. RobS

RobS Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob S.
    The main reason why they changed the laws is for Canadians to start buying high end U.S. cars and importing them since their economy is in the shi.ts.
    The high end car dealers in Canada will now suffer...or will have to readjust their pricing to compete.

12. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    If only the US would allow us to import any car legal in Canada. I've always wanted a Lancia Integrale as my daily driver!

13. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Why fly down? Simply because you dont buy an F-car without looking at it. I have seen some 355s that have come up here that were bought on pictures alone and it is not a pretty picture. 2 years ago this one guy bought a 355 for $69,000 and it has now cost him over $100 and he still has a pile of crap. There are hundreds of F-cars that have been flooded out all over the USA over the last 10 years and Im not talking just Katrina. Florda has been hit by a ton of Huricannes and I have seen what it has done to the houses as well as the cars because we have a house there too. These cars are moved around and the titles changed so as not to show the damage. The other thing you cant help but notice is the odo roll backs in the USA. Why is it that so many cars from a country that can drive them year round only have 10,000 miles or less on them and yet here in Canada almost all the 355s for sale have 25,000 km and up and here we only drive them for 6 months. There are many many chopped and misleading cars in the USA and when I talk to the cops at 54 division here in Toronto they have shown me some great examples of chopped and flooded crap that is being sold as one owner cars brought up from the USA. If anyone here is even remotely thinking that they are going to buy a Ferrari from the USA on pictures.....you had better give it a rethink because you are more than likely going to get screwed. The funny thing is when someone gets screwed they dont come on here and tell everyone do they?I spent 2 years looking for my 355 and it is awsome. I dont think I would find one in a picture on the internet in less time. By the way how many in here bought their F-cars without looking them over first? Its funny how the same people in here wanted an american 355 3 or 4 years ago because they were only $105,000 when ours were $160,000. Now you can get one here for under $100,000 and they still whine about lower pricing in the USA...conclusion ...these people will never own a Ferrari because they spend too much time procrastinating about it. If 355s were $40,000 here in Canada but $32,000 in the USA the same thing would happen. If you want the car then search and buy....otherwise keep looking at the pictures.
    BTW my wing is mounted on a 355 challenge hood and can be changed back to the original hood with no holes drilled in less that 25 minutes.

14. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Lots of people, in Canada and in the US buy F-cars without ever seeing the car in person until delivery. The key is a comprehensive PPI completed by a well trusted expert. For the most part, seeing an F-car in person is a waste of time if you don't know what you are looking for. Chances are, even if you know what you are doing, you still should get a PPI anyway. Many people leave it to the experts to help weed out the bad cars.

15. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    You beat me to it. I see Franco's point but he's only talking about purchases based on pictures. That is a no no. In fact it's common sense. I personally would fly down for the fun of it anyway. A comprehensive PPI is key. It's a given. There are enough well known "good guys" down there that can help with a PPI. Even on this site you can get any info you want. There is always someone somewhere on Fchat that knows about the car you are looking at. And also can suggest a good tech for a PPI. It's been proven on here time and time again.

Canadian cars will alway be worth alot more I know. I've always preached on here that the saving won't be much. In a few cases I have been proven wrong. There are deals that have been surfacing in the US that are pretty tempting. We simply don't have much to choose up here at times. And I aint just talking fcars.

We'll see what happens...

16. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#91 Kds, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
    Well said Franco.......

Our shop sees about 1-2 Evil-Bay specials per month.........you know, cars people bought sight unseen on faith and photos..........you should see that stuff, it is unreal. We call them 20/20 cars..........because they look good at 20 feet and 20 kmh..........some purchases are undoubtably OK........that is the odds........but IMHO the ones we see are not.

Travis J....

Comprehensive PPI's from an expert are sometimes a joke. Trust no one unless you personally know them or they have a rep that is untarnished and you have numerous character references. I have seen cars that others have bought, and had PPI's done by F and P franchised dealers....and they were a POS when they arrived.....so what do you do ? Pay a US lawyer $10K to file a statement of claim in another jurisdiction ? And then wait for it to go to maybe go to court and hope for the best ? If a buyer cannot take the time to learn about what they are getting, then they are asking for it.

The price of an airline ticket, combined with hours of research can payoff dividends........been there done that.......I have flown to the US 2-3 times a month for the last 3 years......never been screwed.

17. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #92 355, Jul 5, 2008

Just as I have told my kids after they screw up. " Why couldnt you just listen to the guy with 35 more years experience who has seen it and done it many times over" The answer is usually " Oh well". An " O well" when buying a POS Ferrari is usuall " Oh sh*t I think im F****d!" It usually happens when you bring your "new" car to your mechanic and he asks if you brought your cheque book because the Visa is not going to be big enough. :)

18. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Ok so we are all kinda on the same page here. Conclusion: Buy in the states if you want ...BUT....fly down and get a PPI done. :)

But the funny thing is that there are alot of members on this board that will not have the slightest idea of what to do when they finally get down there and "touch" the car they want. No idea whatsoever.

Keith, you are right a comprehensive PPI may be a joke at times. Much research is definetly needed. But that can also be the case in Canada. In fact it may even be worse as there are only a few guys who can really do a PPI on an fcar properly in the WHOLE cuontry.

19. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    great point: as with many things, there's many who can do a factual PPI, there's very few willing to speak the truth.

20. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Franco, if you could find me a 1999 355B red/tan low km & mint for $100,000 i will give you a very nice finders fee.

21. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
  22. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #97 355, Jul 5, 2008
    There was one in Mississauga (auto trader) a week ago with 41,000km. It had all the service done. Looked good in the pictures :). I heard that it was going to Daytona soon for a PPI. I will find out how the PPI went when I drop in possibly next week. If all went goodn then that was a good deal. Only thing is it had 41,000 km on it but then if it were a US car the milage might be 10,000 ;) and everyone would think it was an aaaaammaaaaaaazing deal.

23. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    I must be missing something. Why do we presume US cars have a higher rate of odometer fraud compared to Canadian cars?

24. turbotrip

turbotrip Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Calgary
    wtf? real estate in canada is doing great

25. ClassicFerrari

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco