Whistlings Mother. | FerrariChat

Whistlings Mother.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by br d, Jul 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. br d

br d Rookie

Jun 27, 2008
    Went to test drive an F430 today. On starting up it started whistling loudly, lasted about a minute then settled down. Sounded pretty horrendous for a while.
    The dealer says it's cos it hadn't been started for some time so the AC was settling down. Sound right?

brad

2. seolio

seolio Rookie

Mar 5, 2008
    Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #2 seolio, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
    I have known this problem before, not on a Ferrari but on other cars. It sounds like an air leak (possibly on the inlet manifold) if its whistling, as when it warms up after a minute or two everything expands and could close the air leak, which would stop it.

I can't see how the AC could possibly make a whistling noise. How old is the 430?

Just my experience of whistling noises. :)

3. br d

br d Rookie

Jun 27, 2008
    It is a 56 plate with only 1500 miles. The whistling was pretty pronounced until the car got moving then it disappeared, drove the car for 5 or 6 miles after that without hearing it again.

brad

4. seolio

seolio Rookie

Mar 5, 2008
    Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #4 seolio, Jul 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
    So really it is not that old and I am guessing has been moved around the showroom or wherever it is for sale, so how can he say it hasn't been started for a long time. A good dealer makes sure they are started regularly and running fine. If it hasn't been started for a while truthfully ask them why they are struggling to sell it, why have they had it so long?

I would still say it could be a small intake leak, maybe the inlet manifold or could even be a hose - I had this on a 2007 Vauxhall Monaro V8 recently, a new intake manifold gasket solved the problem, not saying it is that but could be worth a look as I am guessing it will cost a fortune on a F430.

If you are actually interested in buying the car, don't take what they say as the truth, I have to be honest most car salesmen do not know an exhaust from a spark plug so he probably made the AC thing up to get you to buy it. Tell them if they get rid of the noise you will buy it(if you want to of course), just make sure if you buy it, when you pick it up you start it from cold. Your warranty should cover it anyway, but still try and do a deal with them. You will be suprised what you can get.
    Completely off this subject, just an example - when my mate went to buy a 911 GT2 a few months ago from a Porsche dealer one of the alloys was curbed, he managed to get a brand new set of alloys and tyres chucked in at no extra cost.

Don't buy it as it is. Go and try it again, making sure you start from cold again... you never know it may have gone.