Now Subscribed... thanks to Derek and Ferrari of Denver! | FerrariChat

Now Subscribed... thanks to Derek and Ferrari of Denver!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by ddemuro, Jul 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #1 ddemuro, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey all,

Many of you know me from the spotters' thread, but naturally my passion for exotic cars goes a lot deeper than just seeing them on the road - riding in them is pretty nice, too, with taking them for a drive being the ultimate obsession of perhaps any 20-year-old male... though what 20-year-old has the opportunity to do that?

Back in the Spring, I sent Ferrari of Denver salesman (and stand-up guy!) Derek a message asking if he had any leads on a summer job at FoD. He replied that he didn't but that if he got one, I'd be the first to know. True to his word in early June a spot opened up and Derek immediately thought of me; within a week of him telling me a position was available, I started work!

I've been at Ferrari of Denver about a month now, working full-time (logged 49 hours last week) as sort of a porter/car concierge/valet. My daily tasks involve picking up cars for customers, delivering cars for customers, picking up and dropping off customers themselves, washing cars, and general duties around the dealership. So far it's been a blast, as I've had a huge amount of experiences behind the wheel of some cars I thought it'd be years before I could even come near. Last week, I did a 3-4 mile run in a just-delivered 599 GTB for gas (the cars are delivered almost totally empty); I also recently got to run a 1983 308 GTS to the foothills and a very recent 612 Scaglietti more than fifty miles to a customer! I've also gotten to put in hundreds of miles in the Maserati Coupe and Quattroporte and all the recent Bentleys (including the Arnage) and even had a twenty-minute run in a new GranTurismo!

Naturally, as you can imagine, this has been the dream summer job for a car-crazy college junior, and thus, with the first few dollars from my first paycheck from Ferrari of Denver, I've decided to subscribe to this wonderful site, which has fueled my interest in exotic cars and my passion for future ownership more than I thought possible.

Thanks F-chat and Derek and thanks to everyone who makes this site such a great place! I guess now that I've finally had some seat time in some of these cars, my posts can include some better contributions than just car sightings. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. CApg4

CApg4 Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    Curtis
    #2 CApg4, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    That has to be a fun job!

3. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    I also used to work there, GREAT place to work, the people are truly amazing. Enjoy the job and have fun. I have found memories of taking Ferrari's to customers. I will say Doug im a little jealous, Ferrari of Denver did not have Maserati while I was there, and I bet those are amazing. You have a good place to work this summer, enjoy it, I honestly can't say enough about the people of FoD.

4. Alex_V

Alex_V F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 8, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Alex
    F-in A Im jealous!!!! :D Too bad I live too far from FoD to try apply for a job like this!!!

5. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks guys! The job is great and both the staff and the customers are great people. I've been having a lot of fun! Unfortunately I have to go back to college in less than a month, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. :)

6. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Congrats Doug...it certainly would have been my dream job at your age. Glad you're having fun back home.

7. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    What a nice job! That should be motivation to stay in school.

8. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    Congrats on getting the job and as a a customer of FoD I am really happy that people like you who love cars and love your job are there to help us... If you love what you do, you can't help but be successful! BTW, we all agree, Derek is a super stand up guy... You guys helped me out not to long ago when I blew a water outlet on the head of my Maserati on the way to work... I haven't had service that good before!

9. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I knew Doug would fit in well around FoD and I'm glad he hasn't been a disappointment :) Ironically, he is getting the chance to drive cars that even I haven't, lol! With the Ferrari market being pre-sold, my rare driving opportunities typically come along only during the occasional dealer meeting :(

I know you're not taking anything for granted but enjoy it while it lasts, Doug!

10. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Thread of the Month!

Congrats...

11. katalyzt

katalyzt Rookie

Oct 3, 2005
    Freaking awesome man! Great job and thread of the month! Now when you go back to school you'll better know what you're trying to work toward.

12. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Originally, driving the cars was just mindlessly fun, but the sentiment in the above post soon became my mantra. I'm back at school now where I'm trying to juggle being a resident advisor, the president of my fraternity, and taking five classes. It's hard, but now I know for sure what I'm working so hard (in part) to achieve.

Since my two and a half months are up at the dealership, I want to again thank Derek, the Ferrari of Denver team, and FerrariChat for their contribution to the best summer of my life! People stare at me in awe and ask dozens of questions when I tell them what I did this summer. :)

13. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    NICE :) Good luck, Doug, see you soon!

14. Club Auto

Club Auto Guest

Mar 31, 2008
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wish I had that job when I was 20! Derek...I will bring those updated signup packets to you tomorrow when I'm up there for the Rocky Mountain Concours party. Sorry it wasn't sooner!

Mike B

15. BrianZuk

BrianZuk F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2007
    NorCal (Bay Area)
    Full Name:
    BrianZuk
    +1!

16. JDMdoriffftoooo

JDMdoriffftoooo Karting

Dec 9, 2006
    Wow, what an amazing job! Does it feel like everyone is driving to close to you when your behind the wheel of a several hundred thousand dollar car?

17. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Whenever I told non-car people what my job was this summer, they always, without fail, said they couldn't do it because it would make them too nervous. I've been a car enthusiast for so long, though, that the idea of a $300,000+ car is not something I find irrational anymore, so I never got too afraid on the road - in fact, I rarely thought about cars' values when I was driving them. I think it's important not to be intimidated by other road users, too, or else you might end up doing something stupid.

18. JDMdoriffftoooo

JDMdoriffftoooo Karting

Dec 9, 2006
    Want to pass the torch to me for next summer ;)

19. Matt550

Matt550 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Littleton Colorado
    Full Name:
    Matt M.
    I agree, When I worked there I never thought about the car I was driving. I think thats when accidents or something stupid will happen. I just got in a drove.