Trailering F430 Spider | FerrariChat

Trailering F430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by bigsky, May 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigsky

bigsky Rookie

Apr 25, 2008
    Montana
    My order is in for an August build. I am looking at trailers. I am looking at Featherlite and Trailex. Any suggestions on these or any other trailer. The tow vehicle is a 1/2 ton Suburban.
    Also, could someone with standard height F430 Spider give me the measurement from ground to bottom of the door.
    Thank you

2. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Personally, if you have access to a 3/4 ton or (better yet) 1 ton pickup truck, I would recommend you go with a gooseneck trailer. I pulled a 24ft tag trailer for quite a few years and it was always getting pushed around by bumps, wind, and especially passing tractor trailers. It was considerably better after I added balance bars and sway control, but was never a easy drive. I compared notes with others over the years and the gooseneck owners generally had more stable rides.

I am sure you will find varying opinions on this, as well as plenty of people that have used Suburbans and similar vehicles, so your mileage may vary.

Lou

3. shg_gt500

shg_gt500 Rookie

May 7, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Did you make any decisions on your trailer? I am also considering the Trailex or the Featherlite....let me know what you decide to go with.

4. TrentS

TrentS Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2005
    South Florida
    Why do you need a trailer? Doesn't a new 430 Spider run? It's a car, DRIVE IT!

5. bigsky

bigsky Rookie

Apr 25, 2008
    Montana
    I was comparing the Trailerex and Featherlite myself. Both looked pretty good but I decided to go with the Trailerex.

I live close to 600 mile from my closest dealer. It's a long straight run and I always seem to get sprayed at some point with rocks even in the summer... that's why the trailer.

6. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    See my similar post. I went with a Featherlite, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Im my case, I'm about 350 miles from my dealer. Good luck with transport and have fun once you get her.

7. shg_gt500

shg_gt500 Rookie

May 7, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
  8. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I purchased a C&C Trailer for my business. They are based in PA and he builds custom trailers that put any of these name brand ones to shame. Not that the others won't get the job done mind you, but check them out if you want another option.
    http://www.candcmfgco.com/

MB

9. Paul N

Paul N Karting

Aug 8, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    US 430s are as high off the ground as a Ford Pickup these days. You shouldn't have any problems on a Featherlite.

10. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    drive it and put some miles on that baby - no need for a trailer!!!!

11. h00kem

h00kem Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Texas
    Shop Craigslist. Lots and lots of them out there these days. Search "car hauler". Recommend all metal deck (wood deck will bow and rot) with tie downs welded in, electric brakes on at least one axle, long loading ramps, low to the ground as in designed as a car trailer and as wide as you can find. Make sure it has good trailer tires (6+ply) on it, not car tires. Don't forget to invest in some good ropes or web straps for tie down. You don't want to use chains if you can avoid it. If you use ropes buy sailing or good docking rope (any rope with low stretch qualities) with loops already made into the rope. West marine is a good source. Web tie-downs can be had from Harbor Freight or the like. Quite honestly, a good trailer pays for itself if you otherwise have to pay to tow in for service. An 8,000 lb winch on the trailer is a really, really nice option too!