Kyosho Ferrari 328 GTS 1:18 | FerrariChat

Kyosho Ferrari 328 GTS 1:18

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Red 328 GTS, Jul 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
  2. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    any pics? is this a new one?

3. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Got mine a few weeks ago--It is very nice!!!!

4. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    I got one 2 years ago. Is there a new one?

5. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    #5 Red 328 GTS, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    That sure is nice.

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #7 wetpet, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
    thanks for the pics. all of my kyoshos are gtbs. all my ansons are gts'. is this a new kyosho gts? will there be other color?

8. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Great pics, thanks

9. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
  10. cavallinomodels

cavallinomodels Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2004
    USA
    They available in Red and soon in Yellow.

11. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    ABS version for this 328 like GTB too...i prefer the others rims.

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #12 Martin308GTB, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    I still wished Kyosho would revise their 308 / 328 mould for a better front impression. The failed to get the shape correct on all of their 3x8, 512 and F40 cars. Even what I can see on pics of the new 250 GTO is not satisfying
    Regarding the Daytonas which are perfect, it's really a pity.

Best Regards

Martin

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Well you have to remember they are models. Except for the mega buck models I have never seen a perfect one. I can always find something I "wish" was done/changed or what not. While the Kyosho models are not perfect, they are by FAR the best in that price range and I for one love them.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #14 Martin308GTB, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    I have already long ago figured out, that noone wants to read this, but from time to time I repeat my opinion. You are correct, they are just models, but a cheap Bburago 288 GTO front view is definitely more ' 308 ', than the Kyosho model. When I look at my real thing and compare it with the Kyosho die-cast I always think, that the diemakers didn't have a Ferrari 308 GTB as a template, but a Pontiac Fiero based replica.
    When I look at Tamiya's new 1:12 288 GTO I wish, they would make a 308 GTB.
    I have also figured out, that it seems, that die-making in China is sometimes a matter of luck. A current example; CMCs 250 SWB is absolutely perfect. Their new Porsche 901 has the very same problem like Kyosho's 3x8s.
    And because I will get flames anyway; GMPs announced 330 P4 definitely lacks the aggressiveness and impression of the real thing.

It's just my taste; but first of all are proportions and impressions. Second thing are details. I definitely prefer an excellent curbside model over an overdetailed thing, which doesn't resemble the real car.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

15. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I see your point, but only to a small point.

Even after looking at pics of real 308's and then the model I really can't see what you see as so "off".
    Yes, it is not "perfect", but if you ask me it is really close. While I somewhat agree that overall proportions are very important, detail and quality is huge in my book. If the proportions are 100% perfect, and the detail and quality sucks, like some Bburago's, that to me makes it worth less in my eyes. But I guess it's a matter of opinions and taste. IMO this is the best 3x8 model that is not crazy expensive ever made.

16. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Are you able to do a black one yet? I want a black/black end result.

17. adonai87

adonai87 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Tenerife,Alicante
    Full Name:
    Adonai
    congratulation for the model!!

very nice!

I have the 328GTB...but I see two mistakes...

the front lights in the bumper are very stranger...and the exhaust are very small and together...

18. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #18 lucky_13_2002, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
    I read an article long time ago about the Kyosho model factory and it was written more like an interview with one of their main guys who is in charge of the molding making. He explained that model making is extremely difficult when it comes to exact proportions. It was explained that some models when measured and calculated in 1:1 are inaccurate and it is done pretty much on purpose. I don't remember if the article was in "die cast X" magazine or elsewhere (somebody help?) but they were talking about Kyosho making models using cars that are in Japan (costs) and also talked about the logic behind which models to make.
    The guy in the interview was talking about how if you replicate a model to the "t", in 1:18 with exact proportions and measurements, you end up with a model that looks like it is sitting too high off the ground and it looks too thin and long. So they tweek them a little on purpose. I wish I could find that whole magazine, but I just moved and threw everything in the trash except my Forza and Cavallino collections. Interesting thing is that in the article there were pictures of the prototype for an F430 and this was like 2 years ago. I guess, GUESS, that it ended up under the BBR brand, but Kyosho developed it.
    Anyway ask anyone who has anything to do with designing cars and they would tell you that you can not get an accurate replica in anything smaller that 1:8 (I am not hundred percent sure if it is not even 1:6)
    Either way you look at it any of the Kyosho models are the best you can get without going into four digits and above. They make the "Super Elite" from HW to look nothing short of laughable, and they cost half the dough.
    About the Tamiya 288 GTO, you are talking about completely different playing field. I think they raised the bar for modelmaking for all the rest. I am sure there is going to be a response from Kyosho, I just wander what is it going to be.
    I know this is just my wishful thinking, but now there is a base for GTO Evolucione, F40LM, F50GT and FXX in 1:12. Especially the FXX should be easy for Tamiya as they have already made it in 1:24 scale. Before all these I wish someone makes a reasonably priced 250 GTO in 1:12, so I can replace that "thing" from Revell in my collection.

19. nopassn

nopassn Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Roy
    I'm gonna have to disagree on the "Either way you look at it any of the Kyosho models are the best you can get without going into four digits and above." statement. I would think Exoto, CMC and BBR would be the best mass produced 1:18's that you can get without going in to the four digits and above... And will have to agree, Kyoshos are the tops on value. Fantastic detail, for about $100.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    all you say here makes perfect sense. But it doesn't alter the fact, that sometimes die making seems to be a matter of luck. Without question it is necessary to tweak a master pattern to give the finished model the 'real' impression. But Kyosho did a mistake with their 3x8s. The front view is completely 'off'. The most important windshield / roof line is completely wrong. I may repeat myself; but a Bburago / HW 288 GTO front view is much more '308'.
    If someone of you owns the real thing and BOTH die-casts, simply go into your garage and compare and you will see, what I mean. Photographs if taken correctly and without any wide angle distortions or similar, tell the same story.
    Kyosho's Daytonas are perfect, their 3x8s are 'off'. CMCs 250 SWB is perfect, their Porsche 901 is 'off'.
    I'm in the injection moulding industry and know the process and costs of die making. Therefore I assume it's simply the costs which explode when revising a premaster ( master pattern ) several times. Or even a finished die.
    As long as there's no criticism from the customers; why should they spend money for improvements ?

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

21. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I agree with Martin. Kyosho is often off the mark with their proportions. They could learn a thing or two from AutoArt. Which proves it can be done. But having said that, overall they are nice models.

22. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Very well said.

23. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You are without a doubt right about CMC, BBR etc.. I meant to say the cars that Kyosho made. CMC or BBR did not make any 3X8 or Daytona etc. Kyosho's Boxers are the best you can get without going into four digits and if you want a Boxer. I just hope they keep them coming.