WHAT CAR SHOULD I BUY? | FerrariChat

WHAT CAR SHOULD I BUY?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JamesSimpson, Jul 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

WHICH CAR IS THE BEST FOR MY NEEDS?

1. 2006/07 INFINITI QX56

2. 2005/06/07 INFINITI G35/37

3. 2007 CHEVY TAHOE

4. 2005 LINCOLN AVIATOR

5. 2005/06 AUDI A4/S4

6. 2008 CADILLAC CTS

7. SOMETHING ELSE?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #1 JamesSimpson, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
    Hey guy's I am a couple of day's away from buying a new(ish) car/s.u.v as a sometime daily driver but primarily loaner car for clients I have literally been going crazy on what to buy and have decided to ask you guy's. Now there's a few things I want everyone to consider before commenting or choosing for the poll.

KEEP IN MIND:

Gas prices are somewhat of a factor but not too much of a concern as whatever I end up buying will be so much cheaper then buying the equivalent here and i'll most likely end up getting rid of it in a year or two.

Alot of my clients have small babies/children and their safety is a BIG concern of mine.

Esthetic's of course.

If anyone has any suggestiOns PLEASE let me know but try and stay away from the mercedes as they are a pain in the butt. Although I have driven every single one of the cars I have suggested I however do NOT have any long-term ownership experience and appreciate any and all input.

THANKS

James Simpson!!

p.s also whatever I do end up getting HAS to be automatic because not all of my clients or their wives can drive standard.

p.p.s ALSO I'M SURE SOME OF YOU ARE GOING TO SUGGEST M5'S CAYENNE TURBO'S ETC BUT I HAVE A PLAN AND THOSE CARS FOR A LOANER ARE NOT IN IT.

2. srtricky

srtricky Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    BC
    Full Name:
    Ricky
    I love my range rover sport supercharged, get one of those! if you want to go with something for a bit less money get a 07-08 escalade.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Volvo V70 (safe, decent mileage, suitably luxurious, not bad looking for a wagon, and safe)

4. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Cadillac Escalade / Denali --- Way too much gas $$

Audi Q7 - Very unreliable and a gas guzzler

BMW X5 - Not bad

Buick Enclave - Nice SUV, maybe a bit 'grandpa' but its still a classy and smooth truck

Range Rover - Haven't heard many good things about them

Mercedes - C250 ('08) Sweet car, good on gas, and very sharp looking

Mazda CX9 - Great SUV

5. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    i was actually a few hours away from an incredible deal on a 207 rr supercharged but decided against it, I don't have any investors,loans etc so if I'm going to make this work I have decided that driving the nicest car on the road is not a priority right now I have a plan and have to stick to it!
    thanks for the suggestions though!

I am actually leaning towards an aviator believe it or not, I sold one to a buddy a few years ago and I was amazed at what a nice driving truck it was, base model is pretty much fully loaded and I can bring one for down south for somewhat of a savings but more importantly mileage in the 20's as opposed to buying one here for what i want to spend and it having 90,000km's on it!

Also I like the idea of something made in the states so i can avoid paying duty.

6. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson

all good suggestions bur pretty much every single one is more then i want to spend except the benz and they're a PAIN in the ass to bring up here and just don't want to deal with that as I have 9 cars coming up and am too busy to figure out the maze of rules and regulations etc that I would have to overcome to get one up here, although starting next week I will be working on one of the SICKEST mercedes on the market coming up as well(well the u.s market anyways;) )

7. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    hmm i could venture a guess on what that could be ;)
    hah

id suggest like u said before an Aviator, Escalade, Range Rover (non Supercharged), 2005/2006 Audi S4

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Get a V6 Cayenne........

It looks good...it's a Porsche....good on gas (600 = KM to a tank) and useful.

9. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    believe me if i could find one for what i want to spend then i would in a heartbeat! it's just the ones in my range right now all have like 80,000km's on them and thats way too much, remember it's going to be primarily a loaner car.

10. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    G35 is my choice for gas economy and reliability. And esthetically it is appealing and does make a statement about the owner - Reliable!
    Good luck on your search, James.

11. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Most mechanics I know use a good old rusted Pontiac Bonneville for a loaner car!

You are spoilng your customers! :D

12. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Aviators are pretty sick looking for a small(ish) SUV, they get pretty good gas mileage too. Im actually looking at one as a replacement for my wife's SUV. I love how they're pretty close to the Navigator's lines. But that's just me though so who cares, right!? :D

13. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    well the whole reason for this thread is i had THOUGHT i had a 2005 aviator white/tan nav/dvd quad captains 14000 miles bought I had a bill of sale signed and everything faxed to me and the GM said he was gone until monday, this was the thursday before there july 4th weekend. So I call him monday about sending him the money and "oh a sales guy sold it on the weekend" like what the **** if i tried to back out of the sale you would come after because I had signed the bill of sale and you can just say "oh well sold it" thats garbage....anyways MARMIE ford in Kansas are liars.

14. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    good point and it really is a GREAT car, but i'm thinking more along the lines of a s.u.v now as i have to tow the boat occasionally and some of my clients have 3 or 4 kids and I don't think they're would be enough space....

I can't believe how hard this is!

15. MITYRARE

MITYRARE F1 Rookie

May 21, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #15 MITYRARE, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
    Hyundai Vera Cruz...best sport ute in the marketplace

I just bought my first import daily work driver, a 2008 Hyundai Azera...best car i have ever owned...really... it is! Put 20,000 km in a couple of months and it has not had reason to have anything adjusted nor any warranty issues....high end interior materials with near perfect fit and finish, simply beautifully smooth 265 hp 257 pound feet of torque six cylinder with exceptional mileage.

Can't wait for the 09 Genesis sedan ( 375 hp V8 rear wheel drive)

16. kaz550

kaz550 Formula 3

Jun 21, 2005
    Richmond Hill
    Full Name:
    Zak
    hahaha your such an impulse buyer!

17. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    James, if you are looking for a multi-passenger SUV, your best bet is the new Mazda CX9.

A friend of mine has one, and its great. Its big, fuel efficient, and very affordable.

18. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    How big (heavy) is the boat? Have you considered an Acura RDX?

19. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    not very big it's only a little seadoo speedster i think 14 feet, and actually i only need something to tow it back to the city so i can sell the damn thing! i bought it something like 2 or 3 months ago and have used it ONCE!!!! and they way i look at it is theres roughly 10 months lease payment sitting in the water so i might as well sell it and use the money towards the loaner car.

i think i've decided on a 2005/06 navigator or 2005 aviator...i'd love a cayenne but i can't get one for $400/month!

And everyone has decided a audi a4/s4 is the best for my needs but i think i'll bring up a couple to flip and can always drive one if i wanted to...

20. SHEMM

SHEMM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    ILIO
    James:

My pick, 2005 or newer - X5 - the V8 and V6 both get the same mileage but the 8 has much more power. The 6 will get you everything you need from a start and passing and gets 12 L/100km in the city, 10 L/100km on highway and 11.4 L/100km mixed. I have put over 88,000 kms on mine - no warranty, no cost for maintenance as it's all covered by BMW. The steering is very tight, handles more like a car, is cool looking, and you can beat on it. Get it with the panorama roof and it's like driving a targa. After 88,000 kms, I have the factory michelins on them which are nowhere near the wear bars - perfect alignment.....and everything works. The service manager told me 2005 and newer had all the bugs out.

Aviator, I had the pleasure of having one for the weekend - brand new rental, took it up north, off roading (mildly), and 600 kms later wanted to buy one. Problem, what does it handle like now? - new was tight and lots of power. I find the U.S. cars start to loosen up and rattle. I like tight hard steering, not soft, "wait and see" steering. The BMW steering feels more like manual than power.

Took a new CX9 for a spin - friend's car. Nice car, all the bells and whistles, but you don't feel the road at all - steering too loose and moves in your hands. Soccer Mom's car IMO.

Range Rover Sport
    Cayenne or S

are also good picks.

Good luck - lots to choose from!

21. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #21 JamesSimpson, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions Ilio, but everyones gotta remember that I am doing this "car thing" all on my own with no investors and no loans so i've already gotten a lease on a aviator and it's going to cost me $400/month which is great....and now to top things off i've thrown a 2003-05 330ci or m3 into the mix just to stress myself out even more....

I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a 2005 aviator white/tan navigation and rear dvd with 23000 miles.....i wish i didn't get screwed on the 14000 mile one but oh well....this one has a full 14 month warranty remaining which is also a bonus as by then i'm sure i'll be bored of it and want to get something else....

Also i'm thinking i'll get the aviator to drive daily and bring up a m3 or s4 drive it and sell it, buy another drive it and sell it etc.

and believe me if i didn't have the plan that i do i would shell out the extra coin per month for a cayenne S or RR supercharged but doing that right now doesn't jive with my plans....

so screw it thanks for the help and suggestions everyone AVIATOR IT IS!

22. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Flag 1 or 1 Flag in Surrey is shiite too! They called me up with a cracking deal on a new Tahoe only to be told (when I arrived) that the one they offered was sold, yeah right! They then showed me another one that was $2,500 higher, ugly assed colour and no leather! Plus they wanted me to pay them a $300 "finder's fee" for "their" time. F*ckin' idiots!!!

23. wrs46

wrs46 Formula 3

May 19, 2005
    QC, CANADA (&CH, &F)
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #23 wrs46, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    James:

Why not a Volvo XC70? - Just bought our second one, a 2007 with 11K miles (yes, it's a US car) for $ low thirties!

The 2nd hand market for this model is quite big, and you can find some very good deals.

By the way, if you want to park your boat, I just purchased a waterfront home (only about 500 km from you)....:) Plenty of parking spavce for another boat (mine runs on wind power....).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

James.............

Darth550 has an Aviator......been riding in it a few times.....they're a nice rig.

25. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #25 JamesSimpson, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
    hey Keith, i am definatley going to get an aviator, i've actuallly tried to buy THREE but once was sold from under me even though i had a signed bill of sale the other two the sellers are not in possession of the titles YET...so now i just wait.....funny thing is i have NO problem buying someone else a car but can't seem to do it for my self......retarded...

Hey Walter BEAUTIFUL house you have!!! and I'm actually going to bring the boat back to the city,get the left impellor fixed and sell it. It's a GREAT little boat but i have used it EXACTLY TWICE siince i bought the damn thing! and the way i look at it is theres roughly TEN months lease payments sitting in the water doing nothing might as well sell it and put the money back in the bank.