How to wash 3M film? | FerrariChat

How to wash 3M film?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rjkennedy, Jul 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    How does one wash/ wax the 3M film. Can you treat it like the rest of the vehicle or is there special (extra special) care required?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I was told to treat it exactly as the rest of the car, in both washing and waxing. Never experienced any problems.

3. MSKF1

MSKF1 Rookie

Apr 6, 2007
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  4. rjkennedy

rjkennedy Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Woodbury, MN
    Appreciate it guys. Thanks.

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Wash it like anything else and use a chamois on it to dry.(too much lint from a micro fiber towel sticks to it) The stuff does scratch easily if you use any kind of an abrasive. Then, according to a film guy use "Plexus" periodically to keep it clean/shiny/nourished and to ensure it lasts.

6. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1 for wash/dry/Plexus.

7. Shortcutsleeping

Dec 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul Costas
    *Disclaimer = I work for XPEL and we were a 3M distributor for years and years but now we have our own Paint Protection Film*

Plexus actually is not really good for any film. Our lab tested the product and found that it actually turns yellow on its own. You can spray a good amount in a pan and then put it in the oven on 130deg for a few hours and as all the distillates evaporate you are left with a gummy substance that is distinctly yellow. For years we told folks the same thing (wash like normal, wax or use plexus, etc) but now we tell them to wash like normal and use a non-dyed wax to help seal it and make cleanup (tar, rubber, etc) much easier.

We've found in our Rolex sponsorship that the teams who even simply use the spray-on and wipe-off wax to have a MUCH easier time of cleaning it between sessions.

Cheers,

Costas
    cars and such...

8. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Great information...

For what its worth most film's "swirl" or micro scratch very easy. However, they can be polished out with certain fine grit abrasives to a certain degree.

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #9 Sfumato, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
    +1 Shortcutsleeping.

I've had films for years, just was as normally. Abrasives leave marks, as do bugs left on too long, they etch a bit in film, but over time, it "heals". The quick cleaners (I use Meguiars) work great, use soon after roadtrip, during with microfiber if long trip, don't push to hard, do on cool surface. Wax as normally.

Xpel (Shortcut's training center here in SA) did my 599 locally, fixed a mess another installer did. Is perfect, or damn near. My car had options the kit did not address, so they modified and adjusted it to work for my car. Big difference, the guys made it perfect, and I've shown other cars at Pebble a couple times, so I'm very picky.

Nobody notices, and it has had major 150+ bug hits. Installer is crucial, trust me. Been using since 98-99 on many cars.
    FWIW
    L