Why does the 430S look so ugly? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why does the 430S look so ugly?

Discussion in '360/430' started by raw tubor, Jul 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I took the time to read... again. You used the word "ugly" 5 times. Or perhaps I just implied it?

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #102 gothspeed, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
    True, the Scud is more 'manly'...... but so is a hum-vee....... ;) .................. it would have been great if the component features of the scud were more 'tied together'. Each close-up picture I have seen of the Scud, in and of itself looks great. Though over all it does not have the air of a 'passionate designer concept' which IMO was an inimitable signature of previous f-cars. The Scud design 'looks' as though it was done by several different individuals without a common theme.

...............but as we already know its performance on the other hand speaks for itself.

3. Polar Peter

Polar Peter Karting

Mar 4, 2006
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #103 Polar Peter, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I loved every mile of my Stradale when I owned it but equally I have enjoyed every one in the Scuderia so far as well.

Would I buy another Stradale to keep the Scuderia company? Yes and I am looking for one now...

If only capable of keeping one would I keep the Strad and sell the Scud? Absolutely not.

The Scuderia may not appeal to some folks visually but describing it as ugly is truly an insult to the describers’ intelligence.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    "facts which are not true"... well, I guess we're all a little guilty of not proofing our own posts. The mirrors are CF but they still don't look good.

5. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    At the risk of perpetuating this self-described pointless thread, both you and Challenge64 have criticised the Scud mirrors.

What's wrong with them? They look exactly like the F430 mirrors, except without the "F430" lettering, and they're in CF.

6. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    I know they are carbon fiber but the "black" mirrors, visually, shrink the width of the car. On the Strad, the mirrors are thinner and longer so although they are CF (black)- the car looks like it has a wider stance than the standard 360. I actually think the 430S mirrors would look better body-colored. Of course, this isn't an issue on a black Scud.

Anyway, I don't feel that strongly about any of this. I watch the Scuderia driving videos in awe, I respect the car's performance, and I would congratulate anyone that owns one. My post was written for entertainment as much as it was written to express an opinion.

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nice back peddling. You offered the statement as a fact. It is not a fact. Therefore, it is untrue.

Anyway, to each his own. I think they are both gorgeous things.

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    omg....read means read the whole sentence. Yes, the Scuderia has ugly CF mirrors. No..overall the car isnt all that ugly. yes the Scuderia is uglier than a CS. IMO. there..ugly was used 3 times. That does not mean I called the Scuderia ugly three times. *sigh*

Im sure we can all move past this fast growing thread into destruction and all agree to disagree...and not because we need our glasses checked..or have sour grapes

9. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    That's actually interesting. I hadn't considered the "visual width", mainly because I don't see it that way, but to hear that someone else does is another data point for me to consider when evaluating the design of a car.

10. EVONick

EVONick Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2004
    I realize that in my post your 5x use of the word ugly was mirrors=3, tail lights=1, and Scud<CS=1, but the overall flavor, even if you didn't mean it that way, was ugly ugly ugly...

You can't use phrases like "many little niggly things about the Scuderia I dont like" and expect people to believe you aren't referring to the car as a whole, the feel is just too negative.

So whether or not it's sour grapes, or other reasons unknown, your choice of words suggests that you are trying to not like the car.

11. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    "Sour grapes is the false denial of desire for something sought but not acquired; to denigrate and feign disdain for that which one could not attain. This metaphor originated from the fable The Fox and the Grapes by Aesop, where the protagonist fox fails to reach some grapes hanging high up on a vine, retreats, and rationalizes that the grapes are probably unripe anyway. The grapes in the original fable are more accurately described as unripe, and the word "unripe" may have been replaced with "sour" by the fable's Victorian translators due to the latter's simpler sound, and because of the former's connotation as an innuendo (ie. an unripe woman). The phenomenon has been seen as a challenge to the rational-actor view within the social sciences, with its significance debated by scholars such as Jon Elster and Steven Lukes.

The phrase is sometimes also used to refer to one expressing, in an unsportsmanlike or ungracious way, anger or frustration at having failed to acquire something (i.e. being a "sore loser"), regardless of whether the party denies their desire for the item."

Hysterical.

12. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    #112 lung7707, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    hmmm...
    does this mean that since i had the opportunity to own both... that means my grapes are sweet. (somehow that doesn't sound rite) :D

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, this thread just went downhill. :)

14. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    :D

15. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY

Not sweet grapes. Just Saahhhhhhhhhhhhweeet! LoL!

16. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    U know when u go downhill u pick up speed :D

17. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    And we are now BARRELING down a very steep decline. :)

18. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think the Scuderia is a very well balanced design. Every line seems to be in the right place, and in an age of ever increasing technology based design where every lip and vent has its purpose, it seems far more advanced and aerodynamic concise than the Challenge Stradale.

Where the Stradale succeeded greatly, the Scuderia improved upon and makes for a higher performance vehicle as well as a more aggressively styled machine bringing what I believe is a racier appearance to the track when next to the CS. The styling of the Stradale was beautifully executed and I will remember it for its echoing scream-like exhaust, where the Scuderia has a more throaty wail similar to the GT3 cars.

Where the CS had no manettino it gave a very bare bones drive which was its appeal. Where the Scuderia has all the on-wheel technology, the metal floors don't hurt the track-day feeling either. The raised tail pipes are brilliant and really give you the sense your in a race car.

The Stradale is smooth with a bite, Scuderia is edgy with allot of attitude. Each car lends itself to its year; in design and performance. Both cars have race-car influenced design, however as technology has advanced in the years since the CS, handling, speed, shift times and all around performance have improved, allowing the Scuderia to lap Fiorano as fast as an Enzo.

_J

19. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe &amp; USA
    Full Name:
    William David
    how does the CS possibly look feminine? The 355 and 348 look feminine but the 360 is simply different... I think the 430 looks more feminine than the 360, especially in spider form.

As for the Scud, the CS still looks more traditional which is why more will like how it looks.

(examples) Feminine-looking cars: 355, 348, P boxster, cayman, 911 cabriolet, AMv8 and possibly a gallardo spider...
    360CS is far from femme yet still refined enough to look good in a dark blue with no racing stripe and beige full leather interior.. Do the same to a 430S and tell me if it will manage to look as good.. Although it doesnt have to, neither cars do, so im not sure why this discussion has gone even this far.

these are road racing cars (which just happen to be street legal) which will get more attention by being flamboyant, not beautiful. Case in point, FXX (which is 97% of the time illegal on the street.) Only reason the CS and 430S have to be remotely "Attractive" is because they ARE street legal - otherwise, most of the buyers who will purchase them are people who will actually use them on the track... keyword most.

20. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    NNO, you're referring to your Ronzoni Ferrari. Runz only down hill. LoL!! Got any pictures?

Wow! That's A LOT of posts. Anyone have more than you? You're like the post King.

21. Challenge_Stradale

May 14, 2005
    NY
    #121 Challenge_Stradale, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Well said. Biggest thing I miss about the CS, my F430 doesnt have that rifle shot: "BANG"!!! shifting from 1st to 2nd at redline. Not the same anyway.

22. azew

azew Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2006
    New York
    If you want a "cannon" shot upshift from 1-2, check out the Scuderia - Compared to my F430 F1 and even my 599 Superfast, that shift (and all upshifts) at redline is mindblowing!

23. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I like the Scud, but I understand why its lines are much starker than the CS. I had a CS and absolutely loved the front "chin." I loved its lines.

The Scud is a bit harsher, but I appreciate the raw-ness and the pure performance it represents.

I would not call the Scud "art." But, one can't ignore its function. Once you appreciate the Enzo-like performance, it seems more beautiful.

Also, as for the Enzo--I did not like it at first, either, but now I want one.

I have a nice, older lady as a client. She is recently widowed and is a wonderful lady. Recently, she said I should go out to get a drink with her and I might be able to "drink her pretty." With the Scud, you don;t have to drink, but I think it does have to wear on you.

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Older ladies also prefer the drink to the Scud. :)