330GT 2+2 Series I Overdrive Removal | FerrariChat

330GT 2+2 Series I Overdrive Removal

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Vintage47, Jul 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Can anyone tell me if all those overdrive springs will be freed when I unbolt the Laycock de Normanville from the back of the gearbox on my 330 2+2?
    Last time I did the overdrive on a 250 I had to use the weight of the gearbox to compress the springs on reassembly. Maybe they made a better solution in the 330.
    It appears to have a plate between the two units. I don't want to disassemble the overdrive; just replace one synchro (2nd) in the gearbox.

Thanks,
    Art T.

2. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    You ought to ask this question on Tom Yangs site, M

3. onyxco

onyxco Karting

Feb 26, 2006
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Art,
    I was recently into my series 1 g-box and od while restoring it. On my car the od was completely separate and it's own unit. The springs did not come into play until you remove face plate from the od unit itself. You should not have any problem.

Also, kerry chesbro has a laycock manual on his site if you need to get into the od eventually.
    http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/
    Mike Groff

4. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If its a series 1 it should just split into 3 pieces quiet easy don't forger seperate oil for overdrive and different oil

Sean

5. Vintage47

Vintage47 Karting

Oct 16, 2005
    Mike, Sean and Michael,
    Thanks for answering my question. That is good to know.

Regarding the different oil:

The book just says 90 wt. for both the gearbox and overdrive, although I have
    read in the past that the Laycock de Normanville should have lighter lube. What is the real answer?

Thanks,
    Art

6. onyxco

onyxco Karting

Feb 26, 2006
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Art,
    I am running 1.7 pints of shell spirax EP 90wt which is exactly what is specified in the manual. I am also running this in the g-box.
    Mike Groff

7. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    Well, there is a school of thought from the folks who only work on overdrives that you should be running 30 weight non-detergent oil in an overdrive. According to this school of thought when the Ferrari's had overdrives that shared the oil from the transmission 90 weight was spec'd by Ferrari, but that actually this is the reason why the overdrive has such a poor reputation in Ferrari's, this heavy weight gear oil causes premature failure.

Absoultely no reason why you should take my word for it so ask these folks:

*Quantum Mechanics
    http://www.quantumechanics.com/
    (John Esposito is very knowledgeable on the topic of the Laycock de Normanville overdrive unit fitted to GTEs, PF coupes, and 330 Americas, and Series I 330GT 2+2s.)

Best,

Yale

8. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    CORRECT

I found 90 weight would not let overdrive cut in until very hot put thinner oil in then it worked fine

Sean

9. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Does anyone know the fill amount for the late Gte gearbox with separate oil reservoir for overdrive and gearbox. The combined gearbox-overdrive unit in S1/2 Gte’s used 4.6L for both.
    Normally Laycock A-typ overdrives use around 1.7L.
    Is there somewhere data for this?
    Thanks
    Christopher