612 Exhaust | FerrariChat

612 Exhaust

Discussion in '612/599' started by CatSailor, Jul 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    Just drove a new 07 612 with the GTS (not GTC) pkg (ie no CC brakes) - the sport exhaust was incredible! Just delicious on downshifts! Absolutely addictive. Does anyone know how close a Tubi exhaust on an 05 612 would come to the sound of a newer 612 with the GTS pkg? Would it come pretty close? Would it be even better? Has anyone heard both?

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes, I have heard them both on a 2006. The Tubi is a little like the optional factory equipment but laced with a rougher edge. Good sound though.

3. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    Another question - the exhaust "burble" on downshifting the 07 612 F1A GTS w/ sport exhaust was insanely addictive - would you get that same sort of effect on a 612 with a stick shift once it was fitted with a Tubi? Or is that downshift "burble" related to valves opening electronically timed with the electronic shifts of the F1 transmission?

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Sure, the burble is standard with the Tubi. No extra charge ;)

5. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    My current 612 has the Tubi CGT...which is the loudest on sale from them right now....its soooooo sweet! The burble is just right, and the pop on the down shifts is perfect. I have been looking for some comparisons between the new HGTS exhausts and my tubi, cant find any. I guess I will have to wait till next year to find out what is better. But you can never go wrong with the tubi. They should be standard!

6. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    Wonderful! Thanks for everyone's replies! Will post my car as soon as I make my decision! After driving the 612 & F430 back to back, I can't imagine why the 430 is so popular - but I am glad the 612 remains more uncommon and exclusive!

7. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    I have a 612S with a stick shift and just installed a Tubi exhaust.
    1. yes it burbles on the down shift and also whenever you let off the gas in any gear.
    2. also, some where around 4200RPM there is now a new sound. It is like the deep but power hissing you hear when a jet hits it afterburners. It is amazingly addictive. The great sound of the Tubi I expected, but the deep power afterburner hissing just makes you want to keep you foot in it all day long.
    3. The tubi gave the 612 the edge it needed to be a satisfying GT as it now reminds you, through the exhaust, you are piloting something very special.

8. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    +1 on all.

I dont have the 6 speed so my afterburner sound might be just a little less on the downshifts.....but the car sounds great with the tubi after its all warmed up for about 20-30 minutes.

9. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Have you done any long runs yet? I'd be interested to see if the louder exhaust makes it a less attractive long-distance cruiser.

10. asg612

asg612 Karting

Feb 17, 2008
    SR, NJ
    Is that on long drives, with the windows up, in 6th gear, the car just purrs. There is really no noticable gurgle when travelling at speed on a highway with the windows up. The car is designed to compete with the best long distance cruisers out there. There is little wind noise, road noise etc with the cockpit sealed from the filthy world that lies outside the serene interior of this gentlemen's Ferrari :)

If you want to get that rush, crack the window down, downshift and apply gas. Your guts get pulled into the seatback and your grin gets much bigger in an equally proportinal relationship to exhaust sound.

The 612 can be an animal when you want it to be, and a civilized highway cruiser as well. Watch the TOP GEAR episode where Clarkson states the same.

11. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Sorry if you misunderstood me, I was asking as a 612 owner (of three years).

12. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    I agree - the 612 with the GTS pkg and sport exhaust sounds incredible with the windows down, and in my opinion sounds quite loud enough (really not far off from the F430 spider I had just driven a few minutes earlier, only a better V12 sound) - but when you put the windows up and cruise on the expressway in 6th - not much different than my wife's M3. The 612 is just the perfect car.

Does anyone know roughly what a Tubi costs (installed) on a 612? Are there different models of Tubi exhaust available for the 612 or just one? Anyone know a good place to have this done in the Midwest?

13. ccferrari

ccferrari Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Yes, for all the good things the Tubi offers on the 612S, there is a caveat. For long-distance cruising there is a resonance at ~3100rpms. If your engine cruises at this rpm for any length of time you will hear a low resonance and it could be fatiguing on your senses after awhile. Of course, cruising below ~3100rpms or above it (beyond the speed limit) alleviates the problem handily. I've decided to accept it because it just makes the 612 so much more fun to drive.

14. mr928

mr928 Karting

May 21, 2008
    Anaheim CA
    Full Name:
    mark anderson
    I have a 2005 612 and it has a Tubi Exhaust but it is very quiet. Did Tubi make the stock system as well?