Enzo wheel removal. Special tools required? | FerrariChat

Enzo wheel removal. Special tools required?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Trackmeister, Jul 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trackmeister

Trackmeister Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Canada
    What special tools are required to remove an Enzo wheel? The large alloy "socket" is in place in the leather pouch but it appears to require a large 3/4" drive handle. I have also heard that the torque figure is very high which causes the wheel to rotate when you attempt to loosen or tighten the center wheel nut.

Are any special jacking pads required to raise the car using a low-profile racing-style floor jack?

Any assistance is appreciated.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Read the owners manual. Then read the service manual..then remove the wheel.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Definitely a good place to start. :)

4. Trackmeister

Trackmeister Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Canada
    I did read the owner's manual. No service manual here :(

Can anyone offer direct technical assistance?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The proper tool is a snap on torque wrench with about a four foot handle. You must torque to exact specs. Jacking has to be done EXACTLY as specified or you can damage the chassis. There is also the matter of the PSI wheel sensors. You have to know what you're doing when you dismount the tire. Balancing is also an issue as if done wrong can destroy the Carbon Disks. You cannot simply replace a new wheel and tire with a different # PSI sensor. If you replace all wheel sensors you need an SD 2 to reprogram ecu. What exactly are you trying to do?

6. Trackmeister

Trackmeister Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Canada
    Your reply is very helpful.

I need to have the front wheels rebalanced at an independent shop so my plan was to purchase the correct tools for the job so they don't mess it up. If I understand your post correctly I will need to buy a 3/4" Snap-On torque wrench with a very long handle. Something like this? http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=53376&group_ID=960&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Regarding the lifting points, will a low-profile jack suffice or is there an Enzo-specific plate/pad that must be used?

Please excuse all the basic questions but I don't have access to the manuals at the moment and I need to sort this out ASAP.

7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If I understand correctly you will also need a 3/4" breaker bar to loosen the wheels when removing them.

Torque wrenches are precision instruments and are NEVER used to loosen things.

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #8 Napolis, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We use a Snap On torque wrench something like that but I think ours is bigger. You have to get one that is capable of reaching torque specs which are very high as per service manual. As for jacking once again you have to follow service manual exactly.

My car is on route to Pebble so I don't have manuals available and my mechanic is on route to the Homeland so I can't ask him.

Why wouldn't you simply drive carefully to an authorised dealer and have them sort it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #9 Napolis, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    Absolutely Correct. That is a separate Snap On Tool. Unless you have a mechanic who is fully trained in Enzo's I wouldn't try do this. I have a full time mechanic but I'm not one.

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    No offense, but this is an ENZO, not a 308... Take it somewhere where they know what they are doing. In what part of Canada are you? If you are in Quebec, there are several shops around the Montreal area that can service an Enzo...

11. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    #11 AEHaas, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For one thing you need a 1 inch drive torque wrench. Longer than 4 foot handle would be helpful. Standing on the end of a 48 inch long wrench will not get the tire off or on with enough torque. You will need 6 feet. The wheel nut and parts have to be lubricated with a special grease so they do not seize because of dissimilar metals.

The lift points of the Enzo are not only exact and very critical but must be very even. Pads of the appropriate "give and compressibility" are a must. While you can use the emergency brake to lock to rear wheel to help it from turning, the front wheels are a challenge to keep from turning even when the car is down and there is a load in the front trunk.

Oh, if you have a good fuel load you need to put weight in the front trunk so the car will not fall back. The rear lift points are almost at the CG of the car.

Bottom Line: This is a job for the Ferrari dealership.

aehaas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Good Post. I think our wrench is six feet. Sal had to special order it and it wasn't cheap.

Best

13. Trackmeister

Trackmeister Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Canada
    Here is what I now know so far.

-Very long 1" torque wrench and breaker bar
    -Special anti-seize on the threads
    -Everyone thinks I am crazy

There are no authorized dealers near me and I simply need to rebalance the two front wheels. Are these cars so impractical that a well-versed DIY'er with the correct tools can't jack up one corner of the car and remove a wheel? Maybe the answer is yes. The thought of loading the car onto a hauler and waiting a week or more to have the front wheels rebalanced isn't very appealing.

Much thanks to everyone who has offered helpful information.

14. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #14 2NA, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
    If you are careful you'll probably do fine (do you know which way to turn the nuts?)

Have someone sit in the car and hold the brakes while you loosen the nuts before you jack it up.

15. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

16. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Wow... I had no idea the Enzo was so.... technical.

Jim, where did Sal train? At the factory? Just curious...

Mike in Kuwait

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    He started in the Italian Navy on Submarines. He then worked for Alberto Pedretti for 30 years. He's trained the Factory.

He had huge input on P 4/5.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Also remember to place the balancing weights properly so as not to damage the rotors. As an aside what caused the wheels to go out of balance? The tires wear out pretty quickly on these cars I'd check them as well.

19. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Sounds like he's invaluable...what a job!

Thanks!

Mike in Kuwait

20. gblogger

gblogger Formula 3

May 2, 2004
    N.E. Florida
    Full Name:
    Gee Blogger

If you have to do this, you've already lost the battle. ;)

Go to the Canada section and see what independent shop is recommended in your area.

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I disagree, it's not like very many shops have had regular contact with Enzos. Doing your homework ahead of time and locating the right tools and methods will save everyone time and trouble.

22. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    WOW!!!

I would have never imagined this type of complexity for changing tires and wheels!

Sal's Italian Navy training, has to help him think through simple tasks like this, before they become major complex issues, that would stop regular goat herders, with a few bucks, like me, with a busted ENZO, for all my efforts.

US Armed Forces Training, would also be of major help. If all else fails, you could call in the coordinates for an Air Strike(s), to properly finish the job.

Ciao...Paolo

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Taking a wheel off the Enzo is probably a lot like getting the propellor off the boat ;)

"righty tighty, lefty loosey" or is it the other way? :eek:

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You look for an arrow or read the threads and bang it that way.....sounds like he has gotten good answers here, a big tool to break it loose and a precision one to reinstall....

Good idea, about the 'assistant' on the brakes!! :)

I think tire removal under any adverse conditions should be practiced, I ruin tires in all kinds of dreadful places, that big breaker bar would ba a nice self defense item,......:D