Using Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 in a 30 year old engine? | FerrariChat

Using Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 in a 30 year old engine?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carb308gtb, Jul 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    #1 carb308gtb, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My car is a euro 308GTB 1978 drysump and I wonder If the Castrol Edge 10W -60 is a better choice, or anything else?

I have driving with the 0W-40 oil about 30 miles now and the oil pressure looks fine and the engine runs strong and good, BTW every seal in the engine is new and the sodium exhaust valves is replaced with stainless ones, no oil leaks so far.
    I want my "baby" to have the best oil, so should I change?

/Patrik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    having had 4 so far, i think it depend on the temperature where you drive, and how many limes you go until you change your oil. its hot and humid here in Georgia, so i change my oil in my fun cars every 6 months. to me its cheap insurance, and i barely put 3000 mile a year on any of them. my carb Ferrari's seemed to like the 10-40 and thinner oils, as 20-50 seemed a bit thick. Dr Haas has some excellent oil threads on here.

your 308 is beautiful, i love the clean lines of the euro cars. i am hoping to get a euro QV GTB.

3. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Hi Patrik,

If you drive your car a lot in very cold weather, it may be fine, but personally I think it is too thin for the old engines. I run the 10-60 in my '82, oil pressure and temp beuatiful, but, of course, no frost here in Cape Town.

Bear in mind that the modern engines this oil is intended for are built to much finer tolerances than the 308 engine

If the pressure is fine, keep a watchful eye on the oil temp and make sure that it doesn't stay too cold.

4. F308 MAN

F308 MAN F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Isle of Man
    Full Name:
    Dave S
    #4 F308 MAN, Jul 21, 2008
    hello,
    I use mobil1 0W 40 in my beloved.
    UK weather is neither too hot, nor too cold, and the oil performs very well.
    Recently in Europe the oil coped well but tends to dilute somewhat due to the carburettors ... also at around 9,000 feet carbration wasn't too great due to the lack of air > runs rich > dilutes oil.
    Back home and 4k miles later, oil pressure is not too brilliant, so she's now due for a change.

Oil temperature has always been consistent.

0W 40 needs to be changed at 3,000 mile intervals, in my opinion.

cheers, d

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The original requirement is 10-50W AGIP, IIRC.....

And as noted it'll sheer down quickly as well as fuel dilute in an older engine...

IMO, only a 5-50W or 0-50W is an improvement.

Here in the tropics of Texas, we'll see 100 degree ambient during the next month, I use a Royal Purple 20-50W in the summer, I think the OP will infact see pressure problems as his oil ages, or else he has a damned tight motor! LOL!

I'd never go below a 50W myself, and the first number is actually a "cold flowability" ratng if I read Dr. Haas' data correctly, the lower the better, unless heat/cold is an issue..

6. carb308gtb

carb308gtb Karting

Oct 20, 2006
    Svezia
    Full Name:
    Patrik
    #6 carb308gtb, Jul 23, 2008
    Thanks for your answers, the average temperature when I’m out driving is about 20 celsius/70
    Fahrenheit and I drive only about 5000 km/3100 miles under the summer and change my oil after that, BTW a nice thing with dry sumps cars is that you can smell in the oil tank if you have gas in the oil for leaking carbs.

That’s It, I go to 0/10W-50 to keep these old tolerances in my old engine happy.

/Thanks thecarreaper for your compliments, you have very good taste.

/Thanks f308jack about the information about tolerances with old engines.

/Thanks F308 MAN , yes I think that If your running on the edge of the oils thickness and running a carb car that flush the cylinders if you press the gas pedal when you start, then its good to change oil often, BTW you have a very nice euro GTS.

/Finally BigTex, 100 degree ambient next month, jezus! I read Dr.Haas oils thread and he is right, as low as I can but stay at 50 when hot.

Patrik (and a pic from yesterday after 1.5 years of restoration)

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #7 Martin308GTB, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
    Hello from Germany,

since you are in Europe ( ? ), it should be easy to obtain Agip Sint 2000. Though it's 10W-40 nowadays and was 10W-50 back in the days, when our cars were new, I use it since 12 years without any slightest oil problems. Oil pressure is fine, no significant delay in oil pressure on startup - provided that there's no filter problem -, and the engine internals are absolutely clean.
    We simply don't need the 50 viscosity. Neither on speedlimit free german Autobahn conditions at 35 centigrade, nor under any other circumstances.
    And since I always purchase a 60 ltr. barrel, it's even cheap for me. Nevertheless I change it annually, no matter what mileage.
    The only thing to think about is, when a car ran with mineral oil for a long period. When one switches to synthetics or semi-synthetics like the Sint 2000 it's possible, that old sludge will come off, collect in the oil pan and plug the sieves. This is especially important with the Agip Sint, because this oil has a significant cleaning effect.
    I tried this on an old Volkswagen, which has run ~ 200.000 kms on cheap dino oil and was amazed about the amount of sludge I found in the oil pan after ~ 10.000 kms with Agip Sint. But after removal of the valve cover I found a clinical clean situation.

Best Regards

Martin

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Beautiful car Partrik, looks better with the windshield in place too! ;)

I would use the Castrol Edge 0w-40, it is a very good product, though not readily availabe here in the States. If pressures look fine, and oil consumption is in check, drive on.

I use a similar product Castrol 0w-30 that is imported from Germany to the States that is a terrific oil. I use it exclusively in my BMW. I am thinking of using it in my F355 as well, as it tests out at almost a 40 weight at operating temperature.

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I along with many others are using castrol 20 50. Contrary to the wisdom here I have been told that the older cars need the increased film strength . 15 years and car runs great + no oil usage whatsoever.....

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
  11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I used 20W-50 in my Dino, as recommended by the master mechanic at Algar. He liked it in all the older cars. Changed it once a year before the Spring - Summer Driving season. Car was stored in the Winter.

Castrol. although with the additive changes here in the US, Castrol High mileage might be a better choice going forward. I know we've talked oil to death here, but I still find the topic interesting.

Now, lemme go grab the manual for the 360 and see what kind of oil I should put in there.

Dave