BMW 318ti, Yes or No? | FerrariChat

BMW 318ti, Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mksu19, Jul 13, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    A neighbor has heard of the unfortunate incident that happened to my wife's SUV. This neighbor offered to sell me her 97' 318ti with a little less than 100,000kms and comes with full service records from the dealership. She says that she is the second owner of the car since it had about 5,000kms and that the first owner is a great friend of hers (also lives locally). My wife hates the hatchback e36 and insists that she wants an Aviator. Given that the car is so clean (and cheap!), I kinda wanted it as a daily driver for me. Does anyone here have any experience with the 318ti's? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys! ;)

2. veloce92

veloce92 Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Full Name:
    Aussie
    #2 veloce92, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
    Cool cars. I've always like the E36 BMW's looks. But the 318 is painfully slow. Like 0-60 in the high teens, I don't know the exact number. Nonetheless, they are fairly reliable if treated right can run for a long time. If it's clean, go for it. If you don't love it, sell it again. Ugh, I would rather have any Bimmer over a Lincoln any day. Go for the bimmer.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I've driven a few over the years and they are very agile and great fun to drive around town (though a bit under-powered). A family friend has owned one for about 10 years with very few problems, so the reliability is there, too. However, if your wife is used to an SUV, and wants another SUV, it might be best to bite the bullet and get an SUV.

4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Nah, spring for an old E30 M3. Better yet, have her test some of the mini SUVs, such as CR-V, RAV4, etc.

5. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #5 AnotherDunneDeal, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 318ti actually has the same wheelbase as the 328i but as you can see has the shortened read deck. The hatchback with split fold-down rear seats is very versatile and useful. I agree that they are slightly underpowered but using the transmission judiciously can give you fair respectability. But then, this car was not built to be an M3 fighter. It was built to be the under 20K BMW when prices started escalating. It originally sold for $18,995 with manual trans, steel wheels with wheelcovers and cloth interior. Adding the options would bring up about $2,500 more.

There are many performance mods available for a few bucks if you want to pick it up a little. Chips can be had for very little. The original engine was considered square, meaning the engine produced 148 hp and produced 148 lbs ft of torque. The Hartge mod engine produces 180hp.

Original 0-60 was approximately 8.7 seconds manual/ 9.8 automatic.......

1. Base model
    2. Upgrade model
    3. Hartge engine mods.

At around 100,000 km, the price should be roughly $5k to $7K dollars if the car is really in good shape.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Had one. All i can say, avoid automatic. Overall very satisfied, if you live in a city and crawl for a parking spot this is just perfect (i live in Europe, parking spots are not big). I stepped down from E38/Jag to this on daily use.

7. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I've driven many BMW's, 1.8's through to the M versions. The 1998 Metallic M-spec 318ti I did not like at all, it just lacks a general bond with the car in my opinion, quite dull and senseless.

8. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Thanks everyone! The wife will still get her Navigator/Aviator (whichever she decides to get), I was thinking of picking up the little e36 for me as a daily driver. I was looking at some supercharger kits for it earlier (had a 1.8 Z3 with an eaton roots type SC installed and loved the power/torque on that thing!) and might get that installed for the extra umphh. Anyways, I called the little old lady earlier to confirm the sale. Looks like I'd be zipping along the streets in a supercharged 318ti next week! Thanks again for the insights. ;)

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hate the looks of them, but the E36 M3 motor does fit easily..

10. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    I drove one of the supercharged Z3's about a year after they came out when I was with Moritz BMW in Arlington, Tx. I had sold the car originally and the owner brought it in after he had completed the mods. It really made the car have a lot more character and personality. It might be fun in the Ti.

11. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Saw one listed in Craiglist seattle, M318ti! The guy even had most of the M3 interior done to it as well. He's asking more for it than a real e46 M3 though so that put me off real quick.

Fun eh!? ;)

12. Oceanic815

Oceanic815 Formula 3

Apr 30, 2008
    Central Oregon
    I've driven a 95 318is (not 'ti') automatic on several occasions, and its acceleration is comparable to a early/mid 90s 2.2L Accord... it left plenty to be desired.

13. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Compared to the lack of fun of a non-turbo car, yes........Compared to an M3, not close.........

14. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #14 rpps, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I bought a new 318ti when stationed in Europe and LOVED it - reliable, EXTREMELY usable, perfect sized car for Europe, comfortable.
    For a daily practical car it's unbeatable - brought back to the States and drove the wheels off of it; wish we had never sold ours. Just terrific.
    EXTREMELY usable and practical.