Pulled the trigger...I've got a 456 again. | FerrariChat

Pulled the trigger...I've got a 456 again.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ccr2002, Jun 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #1 ccr2002, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I decided to get this 2002 MGT. It needs the belt service and new tires and some bumper paintwork if I choose, but all in all a great car and I made a good deal ( i think). Now to start investigating upgrades to the suspension to make it sharper and maybe some exhaust mods for a little better sound and power. Maybe 575 wheels also, although I like the originals as well, but I'll put my old ferrari recommended snow tires for the 456 on those and might try something else for the rest of the year. I'm excited to have one of these again. I loved the gt feeling and of course the classic look.

http://www.tillackco.com/sales/2002Ferrari456GTM/index.html

link fixed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Great looking car. Unfortunately the link is broken. Enjoy.

3. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Congrats! Enjoy it in good health. :)

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I saw that one down there and really liked it in person. Craig is a good guy too!

Enjoy and congrats! :)

5. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    Gongrats!
    I think you should keep the original wheels on it though.. they look really good.

6. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I've always like them also...but the 575 wheels looks good too....i'll wait and see. thanks for the kind responses.

Just a question....would anyone have a problem with driving it from LA to utah with the belts done yet? it only has 6k miles on it but it is 6yrs old?

thanks
    ccr

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Lucky lucky man! A manual modificata with daytona and in manual. Perfect spec.

Congrats and enjoy the car.

8. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Are they cracked? Not that hard to do just the belts and bearing. Do the rest later. :)

9. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #9 F456 V12, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. kidwhizz

kidwhizz Karting

Feb 16, 2008
    Wow, looks fantastic :)

Great with those wheels, did you have to use spacers or different bolts etc or is it a direct replacement, also the loweing of the suspension does that affect the sport mode settings? not sure if the Pre Modificata is slightly different in this respect. I really would consider this as an upgrade one day.

Thanks for the great Pics

ccr2002 congrats on a fantastic find, great car and colour combo!

11. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    The best wheels for the car.

12. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT

That came out wrong. I meant would anyone have problem without the belts done yet? I'd rather have the work done here locally.
    chuck

13. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Had my eye on that car as well, looks like a beauty. Enjoy it. Personally I like it best stock - it's a gentleman's Ferrari and aftermarket wheels look a little "bling" IMO. I would just service it and drive. Best.

14. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Tillack would do a good job.

15. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Very nice! I really am starting to think I will make my first ferrari (a decade or so from now) a 456

16. Kent A

Kent A Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Kent
    Congrats. Enjoy.
    I like the 550 and 575 wheels on the 456. I have been contemplating putting some on my 2001 456MGT also. I have the Daytona seats also-love them.

17. Cartist

Cartist Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2006
    Grapevine, TX
    Full Name:
    Omar
    WOW. The best I've seen.

18. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I totally agree. Your 456 looks perfect the way it is. Dont bling it out.

19. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I drove my 456 from LA to SLC, UT this past wkd and it was great. It had that great GT feel and the miles were effortless. Unfortunately I noticed about a 5mm window gap and the drivers side that was not picked up in my PPI...hopefully just an adjustment will take care of this. It is in for the belt service now and all fluids. While getting this work done I'm tempted to try the 550 front shocks as suggested in a previous thread, since these are markedly softer on the 456 and keep the rears which are actually stiffer than 550s at speed. I've also been told that I can swap out the steering ECU from the 456 with the 550w/fiorano pkg. I tried this on a 575 I had...and changed it with the one for the 575 w/fiorano and it was night and day as far as feedback and tightness in steering.

The other possibilities are swapping out airboxes to BMC filters and exhausts/headers ( no need for emission worries here) and maybe 575 wheels but I like the stock look also. I would like it to handle/accelerate a little sharper. It all seems a litttle uneccesarily muted.

Any thoughts?
    ccr

20. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I'd be reluctant to tinker with the suspension. I'd suggest upgrading the exhaust; I have a Tubi that makes a great sound on acceleration but is not obtrusive around town or on the interstate. You may also want to look at different tires, like Goodyear F1 DS-G3s. They look very aggressive and Tirerack rates them pretty high.

21. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    i'll look for those tires.
    Why would you hesitate tweaking the suspension? besides the cost of experimentation to see how it works...what might go wrong? i really don't know but for now am working with my local dealer's service dept and we'll see what we can come up with.

It just seems that the 550 improved on the 456 in many ways...and although they are different cars with different purposes i think that a 456 that handled and performed more like a 550 would be awesome. It might not be possible and i'll just have to get both someday, but i'm going to try a few things.
    ccr

22. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    The 456 is a gorgeous car. Very understated.
    Great colors too... exterior and interior.

23. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I just replaced the front shocks in my 456M with new OEM ones and it made a world of difference. Even though my car only has 16k miles, I think they just wear down after a while. Now when I push the sport button the car is tight as a drum. Before I couldn't tell the difference when I pushed the button. I kept the old ones to send back to Bilstein. If anyone is looking for a set PM me.

24. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #24 ccr2002, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
    I swapped out the steering ECU from my 456 with the one for the 550 fiorano...by the way the same part number as for the 575 fiorano. Whereas the 550 stock ECU made no difference the fiorano one made the steering much tighter...less boost i guess in the power steering, and it "feels" much better. I also swapped front shocks with the 550 shocks and it overall feels taughter and more responsive up front. It might be in my head but it seems better. Unfortunately the suspension warning or fault is showing on the display now and my dealer tech's can't seem to get it off. Furthermore, the entire suspension is in fault mode and the default "stiffest" setting. This is fine for me since I wanted it stiffer but i wish it was adjustable and the fault wasn't showing. Everything works fine...the ecu just seems incompatible with the 550 shock. If we just plug the 456 shock back in the fault goes away.

Any thoughts on how to get around the fault? the 550 has normal and sport settings also...it should be adjustable. oh and a 550 ecu suspension swap doesn't fix the problem..the same fault codes come up.

I also fixed the small gap in drivers side window. a new regulator was needed. we tried swapping out just the sliders which are the same as those from a BMW E36 but this didn't fix the problem. i guess ferrari got the window mechanism from BMW, perhaps originally used on the 850. but i was able to preserve the motor and swap out the regulator and its tight now.

i've kept the stock wheels and exhaust for now.
    ccr

25. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    I presume the 456M only has 2 settings on the suspension - hard and soft ?
    and the 550M is the same ?

the 456GT has 3 - hard, normal and soft - and hence the 550M Fiorano ECU would be incompatible ?

have been struggling to find part numbers and hence cost on Eurospares - can you advise please ?