List Your First Ferrari Driven | FerrariChat

List Your First Ferrari Driven

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Horse-power, Jul 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    Mine was a 1994 348 spyder it was red with tan leather interior. It was a fall day with the top up. I remember the engine note was very fast at idle.The clutch was very mild to engage and the gearbox was precise and tight until the fluids became warmer. The engine note was intoxicating no matter how fast I was moving. It was everything I knew it could be and more. ''104 miles'' down the road it and it felt like 10 miles. I will never forget the first Ferrari driven. If you get a moment list your first and a summary. I hope it brings back fond memories and it will be a treat for all to read. Kind Regards,West

2. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    355 Spider and then a 355 Berlinetta immediately after. I was 23 and hooked!

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    My 328 remains the first and only Ferrari that I've ever driven!

4. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    355 GTS, courtesy of a generous forum member. Didn't drive it very far, but it didn't matter. I drove it. :)

5. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    Was my Uncle Joe's 308 GTB fiberglass !!!! I was scared S........ss !!!! In late 70s !!

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Mike C's 84 308 at TigPrix back in 94.

7. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    1989 348 Press car (in 1989)...16 years old, moved the car 6' to wash it. I was so nervous, my left leg on the clutch was shaking!
    My first REAL drive was in 2/2004 when I picked up the 1994 348 Spider.
    Since then, I've driven an '89 Mondial t, and an '89 TR. Wow, I just realized, that's a lot of 1989s!

8. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    I have not ever driven a Ferrari. Wonder how it compares to the P car. Anyone interested in swapping drives?

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    '75 Dino 308gt4 back in 1988, been hooked ever since.

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    My first was a 1971 Daytona which was for sale at a Chevy dealer in Anderson, SC for ~$14k. I test drove both it and a then new 1977 Corvette. I bought the Vette for ~$11k under the theory of why pay more for a used car when I could have a new car for less money...

11. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL! The ones that got away...

12. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    355F1 - car had just been delivered to me - read the book real fast and then headed off to work like a hot shot. first real stop light I came to I heard a little beep right before the light turned green. light then turned green and I found myself in the middle of the intersection revving the engine, going nowhere, with a bunch of college kids and pedestrians laughing at me and a bunch of cars honking behind me! didn't know that it auto shifts into neutral if you dont have your foot on either the gas or the brake for a few seconds - also didnt know that you needed to be on the brake to shift into first!

13. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    My 1985 Euro 308 GTS QV.

14. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    The first Ferrari I drove was a 1976 308 GTB red with tan interior...that was in 1984... then in 87, drove a brand new testarossa... WOW what a thrill back then.

since then the most favorite drive of mine in a Ferrari other than my own was a 1985 308 GTS my girlfriends Father owned in Switzerland... drove from Montreux to St Maurice at about 125MPH... and then back up to Glion on the old twisty roads... lots of fun...her father was egging me on... what a nice guy!

15. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    I really enjoyed reading all of these posts. Please keep them coming ! Thanks to all for sharing , West

16. Oddball

Oddball Karting

Feb 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Marcel Niederhausen
  17. abarre

abarre Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    '85 308 GTS. Took me about a year to find mine afterwards. Only other f-car I've driven was a 550 Maranello. That was truly a blast...

18. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Ahh, the peccadillos (read: annoyances) of the F1 transmission. My personal favorite is shifting out of reverse and into first. This shift essentially takes place at the car's whim; even when doing everything completely by the book (i.e. fully stopped, foot firmly on brake, pulling the proper paddle) it only occurs when the car decides it's good and ready.

19. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    never had that one happen to me... but my most annoying f1 thing on the 355 was not being able to park it on a hill. hand-brake sucked and didn't hold for squat. manual said to put it in 1st and turn the car off. no luck there either. would seem to go to neutral as soon as you turned the car off - or at least, the clutch wasnt engaged. friends always wondered about the 2 split logs sitting on the side of my driveway (or behind my rear tires if I was home).

20. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I've never had an issue parking them in gear; my main issue seems to be starting them when they've been parked in gear. The transmission seems to demand you start the car in neutral, but it makes it almost IMPOSSIBLE to shift into neutral when the car is off if it's been parked in gear. Actually, I'm surprised you have trouble with the car shifting into neutral too quickly or on its own; I've had that problem but only rarely (and usually only with Maserati's DuoSelect, which is far inferior to Ferrari's F1).

21. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    the F1's definitely seem quirky from car to car and model to model. having owned 3 generations of it they are definitely getting better. 355F1 was fun and cool but a little clunky. the 575 is better but doesnt feel quite right for that car - I'd rather have a stick in that one. I really like the F1 in the 430 - loads of fun and no problems so far.

22. Franco B.

Franco B. Rookie

Sep 1, 2008
    Atlanta- NY
    Full Name:
    Franco Bertollini
    My first Ferrari driven was a brand new 348 spyder. I was new to Ferrari (I was always a Porsche man). I decided to check out the new model. The salesman started the car and he and I drove from the rear of the store to the front. He requested my license and walked off with the car running. It felt like 30 minutes had past before he returned. I thought to myself “was he running my credit?”, “or ordering a pizza?” He finally returned and we drove off the lot. He drove on a route I assumed all the salesman drove and then he pulled over for me to get behind the wheel. The car had a strong engine, nice working clutch, and the leather smelled intoxicating. I did not purchase this car. After several weeks the Ferrari was still on my mind everyday. I went back to the store and found the car was sold. Although they did have a demo car with 800 plus miles. I jumped in the car and found the clutch was as stiff as a Bowflex workout machine. The gear selector was almost impossible to engage into 2nd gear. I drove the car for about 2 miles and said forget it! I learned later how the Ferrari needs to be warmed up. Now I know why my salesman disappeared the first time for so long. I finally purchased my first Ferrari when the 355 GTB arrived. Since then I have never went back to Porsche and have had the chance to own or drive all of the current Ferrari’s.

23. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I first drove an 2V GTBi Red/Black that was in Atlanta back in 98 I think. I wonder if it is still in Atlanta.

24. ZonderF

ZonderF Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Still waiting on my first ride/drive

25. The Speedfighter

The Speedfighter Formula 3

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Lex
    Not driven myself yet. But I was in the 328. But in December when I'm going back to Holland, my aunt arranged that I'm going to drive a 360 CS :D