Fake BBRs on eBay - email from BBR | FerrariChat

Fake BBRs on eBay - email from BBR

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Challenge64, Jul 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Got this email a few days ago from BBR

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Customers,

we just want to aware you that some people is selling a number of BBR models fake imitations.

These cheaters have forged our BBR yellow box, the guarantee certificate and the label on the model base.

You cannot understand that it is a fake just by looking the photos on the internet, but pay attention especially

regarding some auctions, for example have a look on this ebay auction n. 120281760644: it is a fake.

We have already taken actions against these people in order to save our brand and our image.

Just be reminded to pay attention if the model price is really too cheap.

Best regards

Fernando Reali

2. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
    That car looks pretty good for a fake imo.
    Thanks for the heads up though.

I wonder how long evilbay is going to let the seller keep his account???

3. The Speedfighter

The Speedfighter Formula 3

Dec 13, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Lex
    Well this looks bloody good to me though.

4. doyler

doyler Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Colm Doyle
    That car looks great. If its not BBRs then whos is it?

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    looks pretty good to me. I think they don't have to pass it off as BBR to actually sell it.

6. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    #6 slk99, Jul 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks for information.

see feedback about the transaction:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=luckyyao168&iid=120281760644&de=off&items=25&page=8

7. DMC308

DMC308 F1 Rookie

Aug 19, 2006
    Seattle/Noosa
    Full Name:
    D
  8. Diegoq

Diegoq Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Just saw that auction again and the BBR model is fake as the certificate comes in the auction in Chinese and normal BBR certificates do not come in chinese

9. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    those are Japanese not Chinese.

but this seller used to sell this BBR F360 NGT several times in past few months..

10. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    BBR is not to be trusted. They are extremely underhanded as a company. They have been trying to stop sellers from selling BBR products on ebay for a long time. I was a BBR dealer and dropped them after they told me I could not sell them ebay. They claimed I was selling them too cheap. Thinking that was possibly true I asked what I should sell them for? And I also checked the Gasoline website (which is a BBR direct retailer to customers, basically its a front) and my price was actually HIGHER than theres. I explained this to them but to no avail. They wanted me to sell them for around $50 higher than Gasoline. In other words, they want to sell directly to customers and undercut there own dealers! They want the dealers to sell at a higher price then there own retail company. Who is going to buy from me if I am $50 higher than another website?

Thats when they started there campaign to try to stop ALL BBR auctions. The best way to do that is claim everything is a fake and buy only from them directly. With models that nice as the one on auction, why fake it? They could stand on there own. Not much is to be gained by saying its BBR. Its more trouble than its worth I would think. But you never know, maybe there is some conspiracy against BBR.

I still think BBR makes great models. And I would buy them. I am not saying do not buy BBR models. I just don't trust anything they say or do anymore. They are pretty slick with there business dealings.

They would also refuse to send replacement parts for the many broken and missing items in there kits. I guess I was supposed to just eat the loss. And I'm not the only dealer that had this problem. Although I never spoke to them personally I was told EWA who was a very large dealer for them also dropped them for this reason. I want to make it clear I can't confirm that but that is what I was told.

Its important to know you can't always trust everything you read. (you can choose not to beleive this post).

I would like to know how they determined this model was a fake. Just because BBR says so?? Not enough evidence for me.

11. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    You know what.. I don't know about other models.. but for this black F360 NGT models with BBR box, it is easy to get in the factory located in China which build model for BBR, and the price is about a few hundred RMB.....but as a normal collector myself, I cannot even tell the difference between the same one (1 of 36 pcs Romu version) I bought from Japan either....is it really FAKE? that's a good question...

12. alfred tiegler

alfred tiegler Karting

Jul 4, 2007
    #12 alfred tiegler, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    I not quite sure about it being a fake either. As you are saying, these are made in the China factory. It may just be an unauthorized sale- the price is right, if the middle men are removed. The middle men in this case being BBR - Italy. For BBR to have any clout with ebay, they would have to say it was a fake ( within the bounds of the VerO Program ebay is running) instead of an unauthorized factory outlet sale. Just a thought. Beats me.

13. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    I personally think that the factory has over-make the model.. or there are some unqualifed models were taken out from factory and the Chinese seller posted auctions in Ebay for sale.

14. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Yep. This is going to be ebays downfall. I have had manufacturers cancel my auctions on ebay claiming I was selling fakes. Balleys canceled several of my auctions claiming they were fakes. This stuff was brand new in the box and was not fakes. However ebay will allow the manufacturer to cancel any auction they determine is fake. Ebay does not even have to be involved in the cancellation.
    I also don't know the truth but I heard that ebay has a division that accepts counterfeit items back and credits the buyer from the sellers account and then ebay mass packages the items up and sells them through a different site. There is a video on you tube explaining the process. Again I don't know if there is any truth to it, but it is interesting.
    It seems to me ebay is trying to do away with the mom and pop sellers and gear to wards large sellers only. I know I won't be listing anything on ebay again ever. Probably won't ever buy anything from the site either.

15. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    ebay has started their new DSR policy to sellers (also powersellers), do you guys have problem with it?

16. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    what is DSR?

17. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron

First off I sold my model business at the end of 2004. I havent been active as either a dealer or collector for the last 3 years...maybe things have changed...

BUT...I was a BBR dealer from 1990 until 2004. Ive met them both many times both in Italy at BBR and at Toy fairs. I sold hundreds if not thousands of BBRs. I had BBR make models of my Challenge car and had them make other limited and special editions for me. They also did send me replacement parts (although slow). Yes they have done things to annoy me in the past but Ive never had them claim something was a fake when it wasnt

18. slk99

slk99 Formula 3

Jun 8, 2004
    Detail Seller Rating.

Buyer leaves a rating (5 star is highes and 1 star is lowest) to sellers based on 4 criteria

(1) Item as described
    (2) Communication
    (3) Shipping time
    (4) Shipping and handling charges

If any of above average rating drops below 4.6, Ebay will have some follow up, i.e. cancellation of powerseller status, frozen your selling activities until the rating is return to normal rating (4.6) , etc.

It is a very annoying policy.......

19. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    I was a dealer from 1999 to I think around 2006. I never had a problem until they started to not be the only game in town. They also clearly wanted to control ebay sales. They made great models and the price was fair for many years (or so people thought). But then the Chinese started making great cars for FAR less and BBR felt the pinch and then started doing whatever they could to sell more models directly. There sales have been dropping dramatically for the last several years. People would rather buy a Redline or Spark at $75 than a BBR for $250-300. The models are very close quality wise. BBR is better, but is it better by $200? Its hard to say.

Up to 2004 I do not ever recall them claiming anything was a fake. But thats probably because nothing out there could be built as well as they could build it at the time.

The theory that they are unauthorized is very possible if they are getting things built in China. I could see that as a big possibility. But I still would not put it past BBR to say anything to stop a seller from selling on ebay.