Mondial T Cabriolet : question | FerrariChat

Mondial T Cabriolet : question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SonomaRik, Jul 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #1 SonomaRik, Jul 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Anyone know what this pin [on both sides of the back seat's inner sidewall] is used for?. The pin fits exactly the typically hold-down buttons used on the leather cover that goes over the folded top.

I cannot understand it's placement or need. I thought it might have something to do with holding the cover when the top was up, but seems unlikely. Perhaps there was a strap that could hook to both sides for tie down?

Sorry for bad pic, it's a cell phone quickie.

all eurospares says on their parts catalogue is : 'male connector for button' # 36 ... like duh
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTable.asp?M=1&Mo=392&A=2&B=21183&S=

thanks
    rik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    they are not installed on our '92 t with the 3 point seatbelts in the rear.

Dave

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Ric,

Can you take a pic from further back? I can't figure out what I'm looking at in your first post.

Cheers, Hank

4. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have them on my 87 cab also.

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    I have them on my 89 t. I think they are for a cover to apply over the seats, when the top is down.............when one just needs a cover, without having to put up the top. There is a black cover that came with my car, but I haven't tried it...............maybe tomorrow.

6. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The black cover that came with the Mondial Cabs (mine is an '86 3.2) is a tonneau cover which is used to cover the interior when the top is down. It does not use these pins though, as it attached via straps around the mirrors and bendable tabs which clip in under the doors and in the rear ducts in the fenders. (It's in the owner's manual.) I've always wondered what these extra pins are for as well. Sorry no answers, but I know they aren't for the tonneau cover.

7. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I have asked a bunch of people the same question. Nobody knows!
    - Ron

8. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I Believe it might be for the seatbelts, with a clip on the belt, to snap in position to get in and out of the rear seats without tripping on it.

9. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    It is. There is a black clip that goes over that nipple that you can put the seat belt buckle on. That is what I have on my 87

H

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #10 hank sound, Jul 27, 2008
  11. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Please, Post a picture of it.

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    If that black cover came with those leather elastic, velcro connectors, and no side windows, but open, then that was the shipping cover, which was use-once from the factory or could be use again when shipping: I have one too...not a tonneau cover, but just for shipping.

13. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    have no where to snap using the seatbelts I have. I do know there is a strange pair of rubber T hooks, near the rear-view mirror that Brad of FofSF explained to me as being used for the cross-chest seat belt, when I get out of the car and he said "no one uses = dumb". I agree, I've tried using them to see the effectiveness and they do not work well.

14. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Your seatbelts are different then mine, also I have never seen the black clip on them.

15. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #15 SonomaRik, Jul 28, 2008
    I use the T as a daily driver, so, went out to lot and removed the cover. UNfortunately, shadows prevented good cell phone pic.

but

you might get the idea: here is both sides, will try to post pics again when in sun.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    LOL...and I'll bet she doesn't wear a bra too ;)

17. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    I always assumed they were to get the rear belt retractor out of the way when the seats were lowered...at least that is how I used to use them before mounting 4 pointers in the rear. (Other option is that it is simply another pin cap to fail giving you a reason to head back to the dealer and look for new ones!)

- TCab

18. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    LOL

Your black/tan T is stunning. Ever drive in the rain? You are in Seattle after all.

19. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Thanks! Always...well not always but often. I spent many moons getting the Ferrari "standard" leak at the front corner of the roof mostly fixed so it holds up in all but monsoon conditions. The only time I really don't like to drive it is when it is going to sit in the rain...the roof does resist rain fairly well with the BMW cabriolet roof waterproofer.

- TCab

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    interesting you should mention that: The one of two times I've driven with it up, was in a small downpour couple months back and the upper, left/driver's front had an annoying drip-drip.....shoved a wipe towel near there. I assume it's more due to normal wear-tear of me using the upper A pillar with my right hand, [left hand on the driver's door sill] to get in and out. Bent the Pillar? I doubt it, but probably wore the rubber seal a bit.

Don't drive in the rain, so not worried.

21. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    question:

I have a need to try to refreshen the rear-window plastic to be more clear. NOT that bad, but went to Tap plastics [great place, believe they are only in CA] and get their products, but to no avail.

I know I can search the forum, but I have a life and the search is poorly constructed. [Should have standard title pull downs for that]

SO: anyone on their T or similar 'rag' top have much luck in bringing back that plastic. Taps product 'sorta' did a job on it, but not sure how far to go, as I don't want to experiment on my window. DID buy some similar plastice from Tap to try it, but theirs is new and not hazing.

rik

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
  23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #24 SonomaRik, Jul 29, 2008
  24. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    :) If you were to pull that gasket on the top (which I have done more times than I can remember) you will see that even Ferrari themselves added extra padding under the corners to try and rectify the very situation you describe. And don't think it is necessarily a worn gasket...I replaced it on both of mine and still had to add extra stuff to get a good seal. The real issue there is that they have too many seams between the various rubber bits that connect there and actually have holes through for the visor mounts etc. The real crime in the design is the connection between the roof and the A pillar which leaves a beautiful gap for water to come down on the small triangular upper door gasket which seams only adequately to the door frame gasket. Not only does this open a potential leaking spot, the upper gasket itself tends to warp out under use making it even easier for water to leak between the A pillar and the door frame and thus, a wet leg. <sigh> If they were Hondas, I guess we would have nothing to chat about! Despite that, I still would not trade it...