328 Upper Steering Universal | FerrariChat

328 Upper Steering Universal

Discussion in '308/328' started by Futureman, Jul 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #1 Futureman, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Any tips for removing the upper steering universal. It seems to have some play in it and I have a used replacement ready to install.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Sure...

Pretty straightforward:

Remove key to lock steering column in place

-1) Loosen large "clamping" nut on steering column extension (visbile in photo background)
    -1a) Insert key to allow column to turn to gain access to u-joint nuts
    -2) Remove both pinch bolts on the u-joint...and drive thru steering shaft to remove
    -3) Turn steering wheel to center position and remove ignition key (this will keep the wheel and the rack in proper orientation)
    -4) With a brass drift, drive the flange (on the column extension) below the upper u-joint down
    -5) Once the column extention "falls away", drive the upper u-joint flange down

Done

3. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Nope,

You have to pull the motor.

Edwardo

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I fear that Edwardo's description is closer to the mark on this one, because your 328 uses a different design (headless tapered self-locking bolts) than what David described in his procedure step 2 (pinch bolts).

IME, you'll have to remove a chunk of the steeing column assembly from the car, and even then you'll probably need new tapered pins as getting the old ones out without damage is very difficult.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Yeah, the tapered pins is what had me stumped on this. I have a partial column from a 308 that uses the same universal and getting those pins out was a major pain (and yes, I damaged them). On top of that, Ricambi shows a price of $70 each (if I remember correctly) for those stupid little pins.