Hella H4/H1 Conversion Lights | FerrariChat

Hella H4/H1 Conversion Lights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Spasso, Jul 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #1 Spasso, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TR headlight Upgrade.
    I was astounded at the pitiful lighting on my TR so opted for Hella conversion lights. What a huge difference!
    The stock DOT lights were typical of anything on the road in the 80's, meager 35 watt sealed beams.
    The Hellas have a much more efficient lens using separate 55 watt halogen bulbs.
    All four light kits with wire adapters, 200.00 and change.

This set-up allows personal choice of bulb types as well.

Because I don't drive at night often I couldn't justify the cost and hassle of converting to HID.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetings.. I bought the same Hella kit. What a great product. I do alot of driving at night. I opt'd for the selective yellow high beam bulbs. Glad to see another TR owner going this route. No issues with blowing any fuses either. Use in good health

R

3. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #3 Spasso, Jul 27, 2008
    Thanks for the service info.
    Are you using yellow lenses or yellow bulbs? I didn't think to look for yellow Hella lenses................................

I have used yellow halogen bulbs in some of my cars before but wasn't happy with the lack of color so switched to a yellow laminate on the high beams and fog lights of my BMW's. The laminate comes in clear and smoke as well and acts as a chip protector. It can be double layered for the extra color and protection.

They make films for paint protection too.

I may pick some up for the high beams on the TR.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #4 Mr.Chairman, Jul 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
    I used the yellow bulbs. I agree in that they could be more yellow. I was reading that there is a paint that you can apply to the lens. I was iffy about that. I thought it would really look cool to have the yellow lens when the lights are retracted up. I am going to check your link out and will advise.

R

BMW looks great. That is what I am talking about..

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I found a picture of both of my 5 series cars. The one on the right has double layer yellow. Hard to tell the difference in the pictures.

6. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Great link. I am sold. I am ordering a set asap.. Love that classic euro look with the yellow. I will try one ply for now and see how I like.. Thanks again for the info

R

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Look around the site and you will find bulk sheets. The bulk sheets come in handy for the special cuts you might need without having to buy extra pre-cut panels in the kits..

The nice thing about this stuff is that it peels right off if you get tired of it.

8. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have a question. How does this material get applied. Is there any heat involved. I ask because the headlamp lens sometimes have some texture lines. Heat would be nice because it will get in all the nooks and crannies. Just curious about that.

R

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #9 Spasso, Jul 27, 2008
    Heat is not part of the standard application process but I have pre-warmed the light lens with my heat gun because of low ambient temps and high humidity. A blow-drier will accomplish the same task.

As stated in the instructions:
    "Apply from the center, moving towards the edges with a squeegee, using a lubricant (water) EXTERNALLY."
    "Some small bubbles may remain after application but will disappear from the heat generated by the headlight. This can take up to a week." (I help the process along with my heat gun).

I just ordered two 7 x 16 sheets for the driving lights. They are pretty pitted and need some protection.

10. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Where did you order the kit from? $200 is not a bad deal.....

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I got my set for your source. www.rallylights.com - great product all around. Quick shipping and received in 1-2 days.

I spoke with Pocono Sportscar. Jim is a great guy. He gave me a written estimate for work to be preformed. Prices are very fair. We are scheduled in for the 3rd week of August. How is your TR? Anymore issues with the starter?

R

12. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Rallylights is a good place....their deals on Hella are always good.....The TR is great, except I do have to replace the battery....even on the tender I crapped out this AM.....Will pick one up this week.

13. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    What battery are you using. I need to replace mine and I would like to use the Optima. Is there a particular model number.. How did your battery crap out on you? Are you sure its the battery.

R

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I got mine from Rallylights as well.
    Currently I am running an Optima red top. Model #Red34/78, CCA 800.

15. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I don't drive a lot at night - but when I do I almost want to hold up a lighter to get better illumination!

So you have not had any issues at all with the wiring/fuse panel? I am so leary of adding anything non-stock to the electrical system on these cars...

Is it really as simple as ordering the kit for H4/H1 conversion (Rally Lights kit # H50061)? And installing of course:)

CC

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I would be very careful with adding an additional amp/current draw to a Ferrari wiring harness...Ferrari has a history of using the smallest wiring possible for the amps needed for all OEM equipment... at the very least I would lower the deductible on my comprehensive insurance coverage...I would also carry a bag of marshmallows and a couple of clothes hangers with me on all night drives...

17. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The stock lamps push out 35 watts of power. The Hella conversion only boosts power to 50 / 55 watts. Hella advised that it puts no strain on the harness and headlamp switch. I have had these lamps in my car for a while now and I do lots of night time driving. I actually prefer driving at night for some strange reason. It is very easy to install. Once again no issues with my car. Check with your mechanic and see how feels. He should be able to advise on this . I would not go any higher in wattage. You would need to run a relay and tap into the harness. I am out for that. I don't think Spasso has any issues. He may want to chime in on this as well.

Be well

R

18. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #18 Spasso, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    Ferrari is not the only builder that uses the smallest wire possible, it's the industry standard around the world, GM being one of the worst.

Additional load is only 20 watts max per circuit with only a minor increase in AMPERAGE which is what a person should really be concerned with when it comes to overloading an electrical circuit.

No need for increased insurance or marshmallows. The standard fuses in each circuit will blow LONG before any wiring would heat up to the point of fire. THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE THERE FOR..

I agree that any load higher than the 55 watt bulb warrants dedicated circuits and relays.

Just out of curiosity, I will install fuses rated 5 amps LOWER than standard just to see where the load comes in. If they don't blow then I will rest assured that the circuits are not being maxed out or even close to it.

If anyone else (Robbie?) would like to try this experiment please do, I won't have the TR out for a couple of weeks.

19. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    Mine is about 5+ years old (Optima Red 34/78) and I just think too many times of not keeping it on the trickle charge (now I do it all of the time). I will either pick up another or the new Sears DiHard Platinum which has a better warranty and similar specs.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Most batteries are pretty much reaching the end of their service life at 5 years, trickle charge or not. It's a pretty safe rule of thumb to follow so you don't get stranded.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I can't remember the kit number but if you order the conversion kits for 5-3/4" headlights it will be no more difficult to install than a stock headlight.

22. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Wow.. thanks for the invite.. lol... I can run that experiment but I usually don't like to open the fuse box door for any reason unless absolutely necessary. I am afraid to let any air in there.. lol lol.. I will advise on my findings when I take her out.

Be well..

R

p.s.. can someone please photo the battery compartment for me. The previous owner of my car just has the battery sitting in there without any hold down at all. I need to see what I am missing.

R

23. ASG 86TR

ASG 86TR Formula 3

Aug 23, 2001
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Adam G
    #23 ASG 86TR, Jul 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
    Robbie...the only thing is a long bolt with a small plate on the bottom for the hold down. You could prob go to HD and get a long bolt with a nut and washer as the hold down....

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sounds good. I cannot have that bettery floating around in there.

R

25. GRIESDALE

GRIESDALE Karting

Nov 12, 2001
    Lions Bay, B.C. Canada
    Full Name:
    Donald Griesdale
    Dana, thanks for the info. I've just ordered my kit from rallylights.com. It was nice to see you again in Vancouver in June. Don.