Overcharged Debit Card HELP PLEASE | FerrariChat

Overcharged Debit Card HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by simpleton7890, Jul 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simpleton7890

simpleton7890 Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Global
    Hey guys, its pretty trivial and entirely offtopic,
    but i need your help/advice, i dont have any life experience to build on.

I went to the cinema (Cineworld Didsbury) the other night (29th July) and payed for two tickets, (at the value of £5 each, total £10) on my debit card (Solo card, Bank: HSBC).

Checking my online bank statement, a payment of £10 was made to Cineworld Didsbury on the 29th July. As far as i am concerned that is where the story ends. However, another payment was taken from my account dated 30th of July, again to the value of £10 from Cineworld Didsbury.

I am not happy at all, it is a menial amount, but to me it is very important as i have finished study and am waiting for my first job to start 14th August, i have no income.
    Please, please advise me on who to contact, the best course of action to take. Do i contact the Cinema for a refund? Do i contact HSBC? I am sure the solution is simple and available i just dont know what it is.

Thankyou in advance for any help.
    Regards,
    Jack

2. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Contact cinema first and get a refund from them. If they don't do it straight away then contact the bank and report a fraud.

3. simpleton7890

simpleton7890 Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Global
    Thanks Kindly. The mornings job.

4. sozzel

sozzel Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    As it was paid by debit card you will be unable to chargeback the transaction.

You need to approach the Cinema, try phone, if not write in.

If you get nowhere, write a final letter demanding a refund within 7 days or county court action.

Good luck.

5. Slim

Slim Formula 3

Oct 11, 2001
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    richard
    This has happened to me at least a dozen times in the usa. But everytime the bank automatically fixes it without me having to even mention it. I think sometimes the transaction just goes through twice and then the system catches it because it is the same amount, time, place, maybe even transaction number. Hope it works out the same way for you.

6. jarthur05

jarthur05 Karting

Mar 22, 2006
    Wiltshire, England
    Full Name:
    John A
    Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to 'chargeback' with a debit card. However, it is a much more complicated process than it is for a credit card, and can take a very long time, so is a last resort really. You have to ring your bank and they will begin investigating it, I did this with Halifax when an online company refused to refund me for something which never turned up. I'm sure the cinema will just refund you though.