355 Exhaust Manifolds | FerrariChat

355 Exhaust Manifolds

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by simon355, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Heard a strange ticking noise coming from the engine bay recently which has got gradually worse.Turns out its the same old story with the exhaust manifold cracking.Been in touch with QV to get the remanufactured replacements at £500 a shot exchange.I wanted both sides just to be sure(the drivers side one has gone).Mike & Phil @ QV have kindly sent me the drivers side, as the other is'nt in stock, on the condition the old one goes straight back to them.Turns out their lack of stock is cos lots have gone to the states on the condition that the old manifold is returned (on trust).However the old ones are'nt coming back.So if any of our American friends are reading this and have had a manifold from QV please send your old one back!! (especially if its a left hand one!)

2. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    I am pretty sure you should be able to buy new ones from Ferrari UK I think they are around £1500 each side when mine went on my 355c after 4,000ml (no warranty cos of it being a race car ) Hey Kenyon dont seem to remember hearing of that problem on the 348 .

Ray

3. simon355

simon355 Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2003
    W.Yorkshire, UK.
    Full Name:
    Simon George
    Yea I know I can get new ones at Ferrari UK but at £1500 each side!! Common problem on all 355's up to 98 apparently when Ferrari realised it and changed the configuration and substance they were made out of. Never a problem on 348's I hear. So common you can buy refurbished ones off the shelf, hence QV holding them.Thanks anyway

4. mad-dot

mad-dot Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Full Name:
    Stewart
    Simon,
    Would an April 98 registered 355 be safe from this problem? Also the car I am trying to buy(main dealer) comes with the Ferrari warranty, would they be covered by that?
    Cheers,
    Stewart

5. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Dont tubi do manifols from scunderia systems....??? Is there more more from them ???

6. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Stewart

I don't believe they did change the material and the Warranty won't cover it, I suggest you negotiate with hte dealer to repair them if they fail within a certain time, ony downside is they wil replace them with originals which will fail again at some point, the QV ones are made of better material and in 7 years of selling them they haven't had a failure yet

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I don't think any standard 355 is safe from the problem (looking forward to mine going...). Tubi make manifolds, but dunno what they cost (Over to you, Manu?)

I believe that a Tubi 'de-catted' car runs cooler, hence is less likely to blow the manifolds. (Again, over to you, Manu.)

I intend to get some non-Ferrari ones when mine go. I favour a Tubi set-up, but I note a couple of companies in the FOC magazine which custom make stainless manifolds and exhausts for less than OEM costs.

Robert.

8. mad-dot

mad-dot Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Full Name:
    Stewart
    Cheers Mark...another question I can ask :)

9. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Stewart

As the car is just under 6 years old i would negotiate with the dealer to drop the Formula Warranty (1 year limited to £10k max claim) and get them to supply a Factory 2 year 'Power' warranty (2 years unlimited!!) it costs them about the same and is a much better deal for you but car has to be under 6 years old so do the deal soon!!!! :)

It still won't cover the Manifolds btw

10. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I thought a tubi + de-catting caused more wear to manifolds :confused:

11. mad-dot

mad-dot Karting

Feb 24, 2004
    Glasgow/Scotland
    Full Name:
    Stewart
    Mark,
    Cheers, will do :)

12. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J

No the backpressure causes additional heat, this in turn causes cracking etc...

Can also occur on the earlier stock 360 I hear..