Nowhere to fit towing eye! | FerrariChat

Nowhere to fit towing eye!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Marcus 27, Jul 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I want to take my 355 on a track day soon, so I thought I should try fitting the towing eye. So I removed the rubber plug that covers the hole, but there doesn't seem to be anything behing that to screw the eye into.

Behind the outer black panel with the rubber plug I can see another black panel with a smaller round hole in it, but that hole (where I would expect to see a female thread) just seems to be blanked off behind with bare metal.

I don't understand this - is there anything I can do to sort the problem out myself?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The hole should have a thread behind it but it often gets filled with rubbish - the last one I saw needed attacking with a tap to take the eye - just to be clear the hole is behind the grille about a foot in on the fuel cap side of the vehicle

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Its possible that if your bumper was ever removed like for painting, it was replaced with the mounts reversed.

Go on, ask me how I know this :D

Singed, "no screw hole in California", AKA 'Stupid"

4. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    You and me both LOL! :D I once put one of the spacers on upside down there for blocking the threaded hole when i removed and painted a bumber:D

5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ya know, that makes more sense, yeah, it has to be the spacers are upside down because I was pretty sure the mounts were done right.

Thanks Tact, now I only feel half stupid :D :D

6. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    Out of both of us mate we make a full stupid person:D

7. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I assume it's the spacers, as the bumper would have been removed for respraying. How big a job is it to correct this?

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You have to take the bumper off, in my case its not worth it.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

That is totally whack! I never would have thought that was possible, but it makes perfect sense. As much as a huge PITA as it might be, I'd pull the bumper and swap the brackets. If the car needs a tow and a proper hook isn't in use, it seems like body damage would be almost certain.

The bumper isn't hard to remove, it is just VERY heavy. Be prepared for a stunning weight. Have some blankets on the floor in case you drop it when it comes off the bolts.

10. tactical

tactical Guest

Jan 23, 2008
    You need to get this done mate. I was in Spain when i had to have a tow truck come pick me up and there was no towing eye hole. Later i removed the bumper and turned the spacer back the right way. Easy mistake to make if your stupid:D
    Removing the front bumper involves X4 13mm bolts, two each side. And X4 17mm nuts located inside the engine bay under the carpet. Unbolt the front of the under tray that attaches to the underside edge of the bumper. Unclasp the lights wire and pull away.
    There is a full write up of how to remove on here if you do a search.

11. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Can anyone point me in the direction of this thread that explains how to refit the bumper? I tried searching but couldn't find it.

12. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Your search skills need help young Skywalker!!! :D:D:D:D

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2459124

Search 355 bumper removal--Like the first 10 threads popped up with info..