Front plate violation increases insurance | FerrariChat

Front plate violation increases insurance

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by mw575, Jul 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Got notice from Safeco my insurance went up about $50 due to a no front plate violation 1 year ago. I was amazed since my understading was since it is a non moving violation it did not influence insurance rates.My agent told me it is a one point debit according to Safeco.
    I'm still not making any holes on this beautiful sculpture.

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    time to change insurance companies...

Couldn't you have performed a temporary mounting, get the fixit ticket sighned off, take of the plate a couple days later and saved the expense?

I've done it with magnets under fake beauty caps...works enough for casual inspection.

3. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Well Doc being with a crappy company they will do that to ya. Now if you moved to a good agent that stuff would never happen..hint hint :)

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Was that a ticket from an actual officer, or the parking enforcement people? I'm curious if there is a difference.

5. F355 Spider

F355 Spider Formula 3

Jun 21, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Sonny

Wow... I am with the "look for a different insurance company" group... Non moving violation and they hit you for $50 bucks??? What the hell???

6. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    #6 Dave46, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    Man o'live I didn't realize that running sans front plate was such a dangerous activity on the roads.

There has to be a simple way to fabricate a bracket that would mount from under the front of the car that one could attach the plate and then easily remove it when you wanted to.

7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Marty, you should ask them what else might cause your insurance to go up. If they can do it for a non moving violations, then the sky is the limit. Parking tickets, back taxes...that time in Jersey. :)

8. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Ticket was from OSP on way back from Cannon Beach last summer.

9. Wyatt

Wyatt Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2005
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Full Name:
    R. Kramer
    That is such wonderful news to hear...our tax dollars hard at work! Did you get pulled over for the lack of a front plate, or was your speed an issue? (Not going to clarify if it was speeding, or too far under the limit) Grin...

RK

10. 92verdescuro348ts

Dec 14, 2003
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    Take your front plate to a sign shop and have them scan in and print it out on reflective 3M material, the mount it to the car. I did that on the front of my 360.

11. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    I know I'm resurrecting a old post here... but I was wondering if you still owned the beautiful sculpture (I think this post was in reference to your V8 Vantage) ? If so, are you still enjoying it?

James

12. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    AM Vantage was sold 2 yrs ago to a guy in Seattle.IMO gorgeous car but performance =eh!

13. Animate

Animate Formula Junior

May 21, 2004
    BC,Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. In terms of its performance one of the problems may be your frame of reference. Now if you were coming from a 348... ;-)

14. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.

Agree 100%

15. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Am I missing the logic on how this relates to higher insurance rates implying a higher risk driver to them?

I have a very hard time understanding how a cosmetic violation equates to a higher risk of the driver getting in an accident or causing any financial claim/impact to the Insurance company. IMHO this is completely unjustified and has no basis for any rational argument.

16. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I was pulled over just before I was going to put my 348SS away for it's winter detailing.
    The police officer didn't buy the, " I only had it out a few minutes because of the nice weather'
    The office said that it is a 'safety issue' . ....$ 105.00 later.

Anyway, I was at Legendary Motor Car a week later and there were two police officers ( OPP)
    viewing a Daytona Charger. I asked one of them who was standing directly in front of the car,
    " Where do you put the front plate?", His reply, " You don't need one, it ruins the look.!!! "

Go figure.

17. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Having several cars that adding a front plate would spoil, I have an interesting solution. Take your license plate to Kinkos and make a color copy. You can even reduce the size. Use double sided tape and temprorarily put the paper plate on the front of the car or on the inside of the windshiled. Use the front plate without the tabs. I color copied mine and did reduce the size and used photo paper, a perfect reproduction. No drilling, no brackets, no holes.

The color copy is so real looking no body can tell while approaching from the opposite direction. If you had a metal bumper or steel hood You could use magnetic strips. Hope this helps.

My cars are all insured with Haggerty and I called them to find out if there was a point charge for no front plate, their response was "no". Haggerty has no limitations or expemtions other than 3000 miles per year. However they do not ask for a milleage audit or any verifacation for miles driven in a year. I guess they figure with 14 cars insured on the same policy I would be hard pressed to put excessive miles on any one vehicle.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spyder
    2 many brass era cars.

18. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    Must be the same genius that wrote Christie's on the way back from CB.

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That might work in Washington, but no way in Oregon. In fact, I believe that will get you another ticket in addition to the no front plate ticket.

20. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    ORS is very clear on the subject. Not having a front plate--bad. Altering or forging (can't remember the exact wording) a front place--worse (low grade felony, IIRC).

21. BritBlaster

BritBlaster F1 Rookie

Jul 25, 2005
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you don't have a front plate ticket, then you must have something to hide. You're probably running drugs across the border. Probably have a dead hooker in the trunk (unless it's a lambo, in which case it would be a dead dwarf hooker in the trunk) that you're driving into the desert to bury. Most likely both.
    Clearly in it's society's best interests to focus on these nefarious miscreants committing their heinous dispicable crimes. Therefore, it stands to reason that insurance companies should penalize these dregs of society, these free-loading scum, unsuccessful ne'er-do-wells burdening society. To suggest that law enforcement departments and their henchmen the insurance companies are simply recognizing another profit avenue is disingenuous and I won't hear of it!

22. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    :D:D

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Since when do they care two hoots about a 'safety issue'? When they lounge around down in Caledonia sucking up overtime they don't lift a finger for any 'safety issue' at all.

Mike Harris had the "RIGHT" idea...

CH

24. TommyJames

TommyJames Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2008
    I don't see how Oregon police can write a Washington law infraction. They have no jurisdiction to enforce Washington law. Because the car is registered in Washington, I don't see how they have the right to pull you over for that. Just as Washington can't pull me over for no California front plate. I'd have taken that one to court.

Also, I would switch insurance carriers in a heartbeat for that one.

Paul, I resent the remark. They are vertically challenged, and are not dwarfs.

25. h2oskier

h2oskier F1 Veteran

Oct 1, 2006
    inside someone hot
    Full Name:
    MJA
    yes and those are the same cops that will grant a professional curtousy to each other if they get pulled over. a double standard at it's finest level. my sister just picked up an r8 and she didn't order it with the front plate bracket because her Deputy Sheriff husband will never get a front plate ticket, ever for this very reason.

i would say safeco is looking for a way to drop you with this bogus add to your policy.