where to start with Panerai | FerrariChat

where to start with Panerai

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by elpadrino, May 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    Im looking for a new watch trying to stay <$5000 (key trying willing to break a little on it) but im leaning more and more towards a Panerai - I found some sites and Im starting to look around but im wondering what are all of your opinions on where and which one i should be looking at... So far im leaning towards a Pam 104.

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
  3. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It really comes down to whatever floats your boat. Resale is strong throughout the line, so you won't have to worry about buyer's remorse. Personally, I like the hand-wind watches as a nice alternative to the automatics in my collection. Also, note that there's a big difference in the look of stainless vs. titanium.

Panerais are fun - be sure to get at least one extra band to accompany the two that come with most of their line. That way you can change 'em depending on the occasion. If you buy new from a dealer, remember that dealers hesistant to move on price may be willing to throw in a band or two instead.

4. Bdel

Bdel Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Hollis, NH
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I suggest PAM000 or PAM005. These are good entry level PAMS without many complications. A great way to get your feet wet.

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I have a PAM 025, and I wouldn't buy another. It breaks. A lot. And is not cheap to fix. Last year the crown had to be replaced, it wouldn't wind or set the time. This year I have a mainspring problem.

6. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    #6 BlazinBWF, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
    They change their models around all the time so I do not know any of the current models. I have a PAM90 which is just a basic model with a power reserve and a date. For your first one I would say just make sure that it has the special crown clasp or whatever it is. So like the 8 jours models would be out (also out of your price range). Also I do not recommend any of the Ferrari Panerai models, for some reason they look really cheap and ugly in person.

7. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I have a PAM 112 which is a versatile watch that pairs well with a suit and tie or shorts and flip flops. You should also check out the 111, 000, 005, 114. All great watches and prices have steadily increased over the years. Best of luck!

8. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    #8 elpadrino, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
    anyone have a good place to buy in South florida? (even Fl in general Ill travel for a watch haha)

Im still considering the Pam104 , then the 111, 005

9. sexybeast

sexybeast Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    try the 164

10. Scuderia-F1

Scuderia-F1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders
    Hi!
    All those are great looking watches. But pick one so you have some cash for extra straps. Because it's like having multiple watches. ;-)
    I'm really found of the 5, because of the OP logo at 6 o'clock!!

11. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Formula 3

May 7, 2006
    SF Bay area
    Full Name:
    Michael
    try 000, 005, 111, 112 all under or around $5k.

i think the 104 is a tad more than $5k...

12. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.

I just picked up my first Pam. I got it in St Thomas two weeks ago. Pam 111. Love it, but it's really hard to find any model in stock, let alone for a "decent" price. Most of them sell at list price or above list. I can PM you the dealer in St Thomas' info if you'd like. They travel to Miami often, and will likely deliver personally. Good people.

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

#13 Oengus, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. THE_MASTER

THE_MASTER Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    MEXICO
    Try Pam 00090

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have a PAM 250 Luminor Daylight Chronograph. It has been brilliant. Keeps perfect time and has never let me down. It is also a stunning watch.

16. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    +1, lovely watch, hard to find in FL, but worth the search.

17. brainbizz

brainbizz Karting

Oct 27, 2006
    OK
    #17 brainbizz, Jun 20, 2008
    Just a variety of pics to see some differences. First decide on rad vs luminor. I prefer the rad but would probably recommend a luminor. Then decide on automatic vs. manual wind. Then sandwhich dial vs painted. Then date vs no date. Most likely one will not be enough. I like the 183 and 287 for rads and the 88 or 111 for luminors, for first PAM. Most likely a 000 or 005 will be unobtanium except for premium.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. alcatraz

alcatraz Karting

May 18, 2007
    Austin and SF
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I suggest the PAM 104, if you can find one. It's very collectible, and has gone up in value very quickly. I bought mine a little over a year ago and it has gone up over $1K since. There is a very high demand for this watch, and I bought mine as my first Panerai. I also agree with others that say buy whatever you want/like and don't worry about collectibility and potential future value. That is what I did...I just got lucky on the other things.

If you buy from Tourneau Las Vegas, which is what I did, they offer an extended service plan for 2 years or possibly more. I got this and I have used it once. I would recommend this to any other first time buyer. I think the plan was like $100-200 bucks...less than what it would have cost to ship the watch back and forth with insurance one time. My sales person at TLV is Daniel Lee. He is a very nice guy, has always responded to me promptly, and even provided me access to his personal cell phone. He has been there for years, and will likely continue to be there for years to come.

That is my $.02. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Ryan

19. alcatraz

alcatraz Karting

May 18, 2007
    Austin and SF
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #19 alcatraz, Aug 1, 2008
  20. dcghostrider

dcghostrider Karting

Jun 28, 2006
    If your looking for new prices are moving up 7% in Sept. Have collected them for 3-4 years and work in a shop which has a good amount of pre-owned PAM's on hand so if you have any other questions just PM me

21. sexybeast

sexybeast Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    the 104 is a great choice, it has a bit of everything. would look great on a SS bracelet. the 104, 164, 217, 127.......

22. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    104 is great first PAM. i just bought a 214 so would sell my 104 if you're interested. GL w your search.

23. elazarus

elazarus Rookie

Aug 5, 2008
    Dripping Srpings, TX
    Full Name:
    Elliot Lazarus
    Getting a Panerai is exciting.

You need to decide if you want a Hand Wound or an automatic? 44mm or 47mm? A Luminor that has the Crown guard and the lugs....or the Radiomir that has the wire lugs and no crown guard....in most cases the Rads will be 45mm or 47mm.

The 44mm Panerai take a 24mm strap and the 45 and 47 Panerai take a 26mm strap. It is easy to get great straps made in Italy for these Panerai models in Contemporary, Vintage or Exotic such as sting ray, ostrich, bone croc and more.

Also for all of these models there are Original Kodiak waterproof straps made by the Original Strap maker for Panerai ...they come in 9 colors and are 100% waterproof.

So, the first important matter is to narrow down your choices and see if it has the look that you want in a Panerai watch.

Regards

Elliot Lazarus

24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I like nearly every Panerai I've seen so I am interested in buying one to add to my collection. What are the top couple 'hard to get' Panerai watches? I'd like to get one that I won't see many of and will be a sound investment because of low production/high demand. Advice from you PAM experts?

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    http://paneristi.com/reference/prevendome.html

50k to 100K each