I have to gain weight - any advice? | FerrariChat

I have to gain weight - any advice?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by modena, Aug 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. modena

modena F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi everyone,

I'm 27 years old and have always hated how skinny I am. I have made the decision to put on 3-4 stone, whatever it takes. To give you an idea of how skinny I am I'm 5'8 and I weigh just over 9 stone (sorry, dont know what that is in pounds).

I have joined a gym and have a workout program which seems pretty basic, mostly weights really. I've tried to put on weight before but always seem to just run out of motivation after a few weeks. I eat all the time but never gain a pound. It is difficult for me to gain weight and when I don't see results I tend to just give up. I saw the new Batman movie with Christian Bale and I remembered how much weight he lost for his role in 'The Machinist'. I know it's not going to be easy but I'm trying to be optomistic, if he can do it well then surely I can too.

I am not looking for a body like Christian Bale - I just want to put on weight to look healthier. I have a diet which consists of me eating a lot of protein and I'm going to be taking protein shakes and maybe creatine later on. I know the advice for people looking to put on weight is always just to focus on building muscle but tbh putting some fat on wouldn't really be a bad thing for me.

Can anyone give me any extra advice on how I can put on weight? Most people I know are looking to lose weight but it's the opposite for me.

2. sdtradingguy

sdtradingguy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Modena, Your big problem is the lack of carbs probably. To gain weight I'd up the complex carbs a lot. Adding lots of protein does not mean you'll gain weight. I'd eat 6 meals a day, with around 25-40gm protein and a complex carb each meal. So 6 egg whites for breakfast with oatmeal. Meal 2 Brown rice and chicken breast. Meal 3 6oz of beef and 8oz of a sweet potato etc...

Lean protein is good if you want to "cut up". But, without the carbs you'll continue to be small. Go over to the "before/after pics" thread. You'll see my pics. That's what you'll look like if you just consume lean prot and little/no carbs. I lost 20lb with that sort of diet. Add the carbs and you should see big changes. My two cents.

3. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    Get married!

Yep I was 5 foot 10 and 128 pounds when I got married, Now I am a plump 175 and have to be careful not to exceed 180.. Pictures of me 10 years ago scare me how thin I was..

4. Brapbrapbrap

Brapbrapbrap Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Hal
  5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Would it kill you to spend the 10 seconds and google how much it is in pounds?

6. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm right there with you man. I just looked it up, and 9 stones is 126 pounds. I'm 5'10", and 130-135lbs, so I'm relatively skinnier than you are. I know what it's like.

I joined the gym and have been lifting 2-3 times a week for the last month or two. I need to go more often. I have also been trying to eat more, but damn it's hard.

You know what you gotta do, now it's just up to you to do it.

7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Catch-22 since plenty of girls don't like skinny guys. ;)

8. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Don't focus on carbs.

You need some good SLOW burning mono saturated fats. Grab some cashews and almonds. Snack on 'small' portions throughout the day.

Also, stop tapping your foot nervously. Focus on slow and deliberate movements and thoughts. Relax and enjoy the process. You have the rest of your life to figure out how your body works and to reach your goal.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    +1 as well as eat around 2500-3000 calories. But a clean bulk is the way to go.

Also I wouldn't do cardio with your workout for the time being. At least no more than 20 minutes twice a week.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    How to stretch your stomach:
    Day 1:
    Eat a huge meal.

Passim:
    Repeat

11. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Watch TV.

They throw food at you all the time and you want to eat even when you aren't hungry. ;)