Short commute, hurting my cars or not? | FerrariChat

Short commute, hurting my cars or not?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fc2, Aug 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Guys,

I have an '07 F430 and an '06 Gallardo Spyder (that I just got a couple of months ago).

I drive one or the other every day to work which is only 3 miles from my house and I've heard differing opinions about the effect of driving these cars such short distances.

Some people insist I'm doing the cars harm and should only drive the cars when I can drive for 15 minutes or more so the car can come up to temp.
    Others say as long as I don't really push the cars, there should be no problem.

I do let the cars warm up for a few minutes before starting to drive and I never push the cars hard on my short commute. For example, the exhaust by-pass valves never open b/c I'm gentle on the throttle and while I do have a short stretch of highway, I take it easy.

It would kill me to have both these cars in my garage and end up driving something else everyday. I don't want garage queens, but since my commute is so short I also don't want to harm the cars.

I do take the cars out on much longer (and aggressive drives) every weekend.

I'm eager to get a *technical* answer to this question: Is it harmful to drive my cars such short distances on a daily basis?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. chrisx666

chrisx666 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2004
    YorkshireUK
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I suggest not bothering to 'warm up' the car by letting it idle but driving straight away, taking it easy like you have been doing. You are also doing the right thing going for longer drives as well as the oil will get hot enough to boil out condensation that can build up on very short runs.
    More important though, is you change the oil at least twice as often as the standard interval suggests. A cold engine runs richer than one up to temp so there will be more fuel in the cylinders (diluting the oil and reducing it's lifespan).

Nice to hear you are enjoying your cars as often as you can!

3. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    if you only live 3miles from work, you really should be walking.
    you'll live longer and get to enjoy your ferraris later in life.

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I would wake up a half hour earlier and take a longer drive. For me not for the car. lol.. Just drive it and enjoy..

R

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Hello Frank, This is an accurate answer. If you weren't driving them on the weekend and were only doing 3 mile drives, you may have an issue. In your case, no real problem.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    +1

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i disagree. i work for Gulfstream here in Savannah and work is only 3 miles from home. but the traffic from the Ports and the 7 sets of railroads tracks i have to cross everyday make me want some steel around me, as opposed to walking , bicycling or a motorcycle.

drive the cars as you see fit, but take them for at least one good drive once a week to heat things up properly.

why so many people buy houses so far from where they work is beyond me. i would rather be home with my toys, than sit in traffic for hours a day just to have 4 walls and a roof somewhere else.

i am single, but i guess school districts pay a big part of where people live today. ( i have no kids so i dont care! ) :)